my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Work (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Work
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 19, 2004 13:57     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At work, Im a bartender, I sometimes show movies, videos, documentaries etc etc. The other night I showed a few Voivod videos, the crowd that hangs out there are the "artsie" type: some of them are very cool & some of them are a bunch of pretentious art assholes that think they are too intelligent for the human race (maybe they are, who am I to judge). Anyway quite a few of them almost came to the point of booing and hissing Voivod, saying to me, "What the hell is this, it sucks!" OK so after 2 videos I turn it off and put on a video that was at the bar and it was Tom Jones, and these same "artists" went nuts dancing and singing along to it. To each his/her own I guess but how on earth can one be into art and consider Voivod to be something that "sucks" and at the same time think Tom Jones is great. I can understand not being into them but seeing them as something horrible doesnt register in my brain. Maybe Voivod was not funny enough for them or something, I dont know. Anyone care to explain? I love to show things that I think are tasteful and not seen by the general public but apparently most people only want to see what they feel is safe & known.
 |  IP: Logged
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 19, 2004 14:19     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They were probably the gayest guys that ever gayed.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 19, 2004 14:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just out of curiousity, which videos did you show?
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 19, 2004 14:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You mean the art blowhards didn't take to the Pirate shirt wearing Voivod?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 19, 2004 14:44     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny how narrow-minded 'art-types' can be. I think metal is generally considered too low-brow to pay any attention to, unless of course it is ironic or witty. Fuck them!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted November 19, 2004 17:30     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course if you played "Voivod" and "Ripping Headaches"...

edit : I hate this thread...

Sit tight... We are taking you back to: Work

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 19, 2004 17:52     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I showed Psychic Vacuum & Tribal Convictions.
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 19, 2004 17:54     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Funny how narrow-minded 'art-types' can be. I think metal is generally considered too low-brow to pay any attention to, unless of course it is ironic or witty. Fuck them!

Ironically some of those people ask to hear Metallica every now and again and my response is always the same, "I'd rather die than play ANYTHING by Metallica. Not on my watch Andy Warhol!"

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted November 19, 2004 17:56     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Show them Parabola by Tool. That should shut the bastards up

If not. Kill them

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted November 19, 2004 19:04     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spit in their drinks. On the other hand, your spit is probably too good for them.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted November 19, 2004 20:21       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
not liking the video i can understand but not liking the song is a whole other thing.Those are two of the best songs EVER.
Tom Jones' whole career isnt as good as those two songs.
Maybe your customers are drunk before they come to your bar.Thats the only reason i could think of for not liking those songs but when i'm drunk i like them more.

IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 19, 2004 21:11     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
You mean the art blowhards didn't take to the Pirate shirt wearing Voivod?

we have a new winner, folks! i will wear this one with pride.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 19, 2004 21:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I consider myself an artist but these Fuck-Wits at your bar seem to be too close minded to be good artists, because I always feel good artists should be open minded to visual and audio, and to cut on a band like Voivod without being open minded to them is STUPID AS SHIT. Shove a pencil in their eyes and a paintbrush in their ears.

--------------------

yawn

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted November 19, 2004 22:35     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder : The three middle lines of your post all begin with "minded". I guess that's cool.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 19, 2004 23:04     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmmm....i don't think voivod is that easy to get into if you're the average artisty-type who hasn't listened to prog or metal in the past. voivod can be a little crazy for the first time listener. it can seem dissonant and fractured compared to bands like metallica who write very anthemic music. i'm not defending your bar crowd imran, just presenting an opinion on why they maybe weren't so into it.
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted November 20, 2004 00:46     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe it was your deodorant.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 20, 2004 08:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heimdall:
Schroeder : The three middle lines of your post all begin with "minded". I guess that's cool.

I didn't plan it that way, but it looks cool!!!

Artists are suppose to use their right side of their brain (the creative side) more, instead of their left side which is geared more towards math & logic, your patrons must not be using either.

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 20, 2004 08:36     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
go play those same vids to a guy that uses a chainsaw at work (Mez ) and im sure they'll love it.
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 20, 2004 13:14     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mind Running Slow:
Maybe it was your deodorant.

It was definately not my deodorant considering that I dont wear any. I think Nia is correct, Voivod are a bit hard to get into for a person that has never heard them before. One time these 2 older ladies came into the bar and just started complaining right off the bat, "Why is it so dark in here, why do you have long hair, I dont like these candles near me, blah blah blah...could you do something about the music!!" I was playing 7 Churches by Possessed so I went to the DJ booth and turned it up pretty damn loud & it worked cause they left as soon as "Burning In Hell" started and I walked outside after them and said, "Wait a minute, come back there is a line in this song where he says, 'Tragic, black magic', and it sounds so cool you gotta hear it." They ignored me and havent been back since.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 20, 2004 13:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps what these people need to hear is Venom, then next week you can put some slightly more sophisticated metal on (80's Priest?), you know, wean them into it.

Shoving Voivod at people not ready for it is like me giving some Henry Miller to 6 year old children as a reading book.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted November 20, 2004 13:47       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this sounds like my kind of bar.Were is this bar at?
There's nothing around here that plays any cool music.
there use to be a cool bar on campus that played heavy metal & thrash only called the fallout but it's long gone now.
it was the only bar i ever enjoyed going to.

IP: Logged
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 20, 2004 14:33     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
this sounds like my kind of bar.Were is this bar at?
There's nothing around here that plays any cool music.
there use to be a cool bar on campus that played heavy metal & thrash only called the fallout but it's long gone now.
it was the only bar i ever enjoyed going to.

Its in NYC. I dont know if any of you remember a station called U68, it was on in the 80s and would show metal videos. I remember seeing Voivod & Celtic Frost on that station, anyway a friend of mine got his hands on the entire series so I am going to show that next week sometime. Come on by, all are invited.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 20, 2004 15:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran X:
It was definately not my deodorant considering that I dont wear any. I think Nia is correct, Voivod are a bit hard to get into for a person that has never heard them before. One time these 2 older ladies came into the bar and just started complaining right off the bat, "Why is it so dark in here, why do you have long hair, I dont like these candles near me, blah blah blah...could you do something about the music!!" I was playing 7 Churches by Possessed so I went to the DJ booth and turned it up pretty damn loud & it worked cause they left as soon as "Burning In Hell" started and I walked outside after them and said, "Wait a minute, come back there is a line in this song where he says, 'Tragic, black magic', and it sounds so cool you gotta hear it." They ignored me and havent been back since.

I got to agree with Nia too. What a sad world the nonvoivodians live in. I can't imagine such a place.

Great story there Imran. BO and Possessed..those are powerful seduction tools for "mature" ladies...this belongs in another thread.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 20, 2004 15:51     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Shoving Voivod at people not ready for it is like me giving some Henry Miller to 6 year old children as a reading book.

Aaa-men Emlyn.

"Umm...yeah, some of it was nice but...I don't know, really. Have you got any Slayer?" This is what I usually hear when I play VV to metalheads. Not that there is anything wrong at all with Slayer, but...you know.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 21, 2004 18:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
we have a new winner, folks! i will wear this one with pride.

I'm touched, young man.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan