my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Is this a Voivod CD?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a Voivod CD?
metallica1981
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 507

posted November 12, 2004 14:29     Profile for metallica1981   Email metallica1981     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know its not one of the 13 studio releases but I was wondering if Voivod had a CD called Probot?
 |  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted November 12, 2004 14:32     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, that's Dave Grohl's slightly disappointing attempt to recall the glory days of old metal with a variety of classic metal vocalists, to mixed effect.

One of the songs has Snake singing on it, and Away did the art and calligraphy. That's it.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 12, 2004 18:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come on, PROBOT is a cool collection of all the underground unsung metal singers. I love this project, and the album is damn good to say the least. Lots of great songs that totally fit the style of each singers band that they were/are in.

Buy it.

It will open your ears to lots of great vocalist you might not know about, depending on how old you are and how deep your collection of metal is.

--------------------

yawn

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 12, 2004 19:29     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the King Diamond song is the worse, doesn't fit his usual KD of MF guitars.

--------------------

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted November 12, 2004 20:02     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Several of the songs on Probot are better than the '03 Voivod S/T.

OH NO YOU DI'INT!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted November 12, 2004 22:42       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will agree that 5 or 6 of the songs on Probot are great songs none of them are better than the last Voivod album!!!

and that hidden track with Jack Black fuckin blows.What does that stupid shit have to do with any of those bands on there.That song just doesnt belong on there.Gohl should have got someone else from the early 80's to do the hidden track.
Too bad Slayer didnt want to do it.Slayer is fast becoming like Metallica.Sucky sellout losers that bitch and whine all the time.

IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 12, 2004 22:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
I think the King Diamond song is the worse, doesn't fit his usual KD of MF guitars.

And that's precisely the reason why i like that particular track so much: it's refreshing to hear King over big fat Sabbath-y riffs.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 13, 2004 14:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
Several of the songs on Probot are better than the '03 Voivod S/T.

OH NO YOU DI'INT!

oh how i laughed. thanks.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted November 13, 2004 15:16     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the Probot CD for the same reasons as Shroeder. It brings back a lot of good ol' memories and I suppose the album was recorded for that reason alone. Most of the tracks are okay and some of them kick ass completely (the ones w/ Lemmy, Max, Snake and Cronos).

Since I just own a promo that I got from Southern Lord, I don;t know how the Jack Black hidden track sound like. But, honestly, I pass on it.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 13, 2004 16:53     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
and that hidden track with Jack Black fuckin blows

Where's your sense of humor? That song is funny as hell and not a bad tune.

As for the rest of Probot. Grohl succeeded in turning on at least one person [er, moi] onto some of the good ol singers and their, some of them, their former band's music. Holy Hell! That sentence made no fucking sense! I just enjoyed, and still do enjoy Probot.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 13, 2004 17:32     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
...and how deep your collection of metal is.

...how deep is your love...is your love, how deep is your love... Sing along everyone! He he. I love shroeder.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted November 13, 2004 18:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

Buy it.

It will open your ears to lots of great vocalist you might not know about, depending on how old you are and how deep your collection of metal is.

Pretty deep. I really like Cronos', Lemmy's and Lee Dorrian's tracks, but the rest, for me, is definitely too much of "Dave Grohl's interpretation of classic metal" as opposed to "classic metal" for my liking. I'm just an opinionated bastard.

I'd rather listen to the original records, thankyouverymuch.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 13, 2004 22:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grohl's around my age (39), and these were the singers and bands that he grew up listening to and worshipping while he was still a drummer in a metal band in Virginia. They helped form his style and open his ears. How fuckin cool is it that he now is a huge success and gets to call all these heros of his up and have them singe/play on his project?

Which one of us wouldn't kill to be in his shoes. The guys having the time of his life making cool music and having a fuckin blast at everything he does. I loved the Foo Fighters first 2 cds, was a bit dissapointed in the next 2 (one or 2 good songs at the most) and the new cd is alright. The live dvd is killer and shows how much energy, fun, insanity, fan appreciation, etc, Grohl anf his posse have on the road.

Best thing that happened to DG was the death of Cobain... sad but true. I wonder if he'd still be behind the kit for Nirvana if Kurt was still breathing and the band was still together.

Probot is a fuckin blast for me to listen to. All the guys I listened to back in the day, all on on cd.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted November 14, 2004 00:59     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LivingEvil:
Too bad Slayer didnt want to do it.Slayer is fast becoming like Metallica.Sucky sellout losers that bitch and whine all the time.

Huh? Well at least Slayer didn't have mullets! I still dig them and admire them for not writing Enter Sandman! And to play a full-on concert and then whip out RIB, damn! I think Metallica should play MOP in its entirety, that would rok.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted November 14, 2004 01:06     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
Huh? Well at least Slayer didn't have mullets! I still dig them and admire them for not writing Enter Sandman! And to play a full-on concert and then whip out RIB, damn! I think Metallica should play MOP in its entirety, that would rok.

Dream Theater's cover is good enough for me.

--------------------

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted November 14, 2004 10:57     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am I the only one or anybody noticed in the Snake track “Dictatorsaurus” that the chorus is kind of reminiscent Smashing Pumpkins!!!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted November 14, 2004 11:20     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I still dig them and admire them for not writing Enter Sandman!

I respect quite a lot of bands for that, actually.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 14, 2004 11:24     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Va¢ärmeS:
Am I the only one or anybody noticed in the Snake track “Dictatorsaurus” that the chorus is kind of reminiscent Smashing Pumpkins!!!

that's exactly what i said when i first heard it "Oh cool, Billy Corgan's doing the chorus".
Hehe. http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002230

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan