my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » News... well, sort of.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: News... well, sort of.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 26, 2004 12:21     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to a new interview that Away did with rimouskimetal.com, the next album will NOT be issued thru Chophouse records ("too much work for Jason"), but Sanctuary records might be a candidate.
http://www.rimouskimetal.net/entrevues/voivod.html

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 26, 2004 15:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's great news as far as I'm concerned, and maybe that will mean better publicity, better distribution and a tour with lable mates KING CRIMSON!!! OK I'm dreaming about the tour but the rest is definitley going to happen. Sanctuary has ALL the great metal bands from back in the day and VOIVOD is perfect for that lable.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted October 26, 2004 15:57     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any change on a Euro tour? Label mates K. Crimso didn't tour Europe...maybe they can not tour Europe together.

Jason too busy...maybe he can drop some 1432 of his 7564 sideprojects and concentrate some more on tha 'Vod.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 26, 2004 19:13     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ask Tom G. Warrior on what he thinks about Sanctuary...I'm sure it wouldn't be a nice response either.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 26, 2004 20:03     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that news looks pretty damn foreign.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 26, 2004 20:17     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wait a minute, rimouski metal? heh.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 27, 2004 01:07     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
According to a new interview that Away did with rimouskimetal.com, the next album will NOT be issued thru Chophouse records ("too much work for Jason"), but Sanctuary records might be a candidate.
http://www.rimouskimetal.net/entrevues/voivod.html

To bad i cannot read a fuck in that interview. Could anyone be so nice and make some kind of translation??

thank you.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted October 27, 2004 20:04     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You asked for it, paul.

A little chat with a long time friend, Michel Langevin, aka Away of Voivod, who on a nice Sunday afternoon, called me to give Voivod news. [There follows a biography of which we need nought, and things we already know. The interview gets interesting at question 2.]

2. RM : Can we expect a new album with Jason?

ML : Certainly, we've been writing for ten months now and we have more than 25 songs done. And of course, always and more than ever with Jason, who's definitely a part of Voivod.

3. RM : Did he write more than on the eponymous album?

ML : Indeed ; on the eponymous album, Piggy had written the most of the music and Jason had integrated his bass parts. Snake and I had done the lyrics for that last chapter of the Voivod epic. But for this new album Jason has really participated in music writing and has brought a new sound that really grooves with the band.

4. RM : Are there songs written entirely by Jason, like "M-Body" on 1997's Phobos, during the Eric Forrest period?

ML : Well, Piggy really did the music (laughs) but everyone was really involved in the writing, which should make a very different album. We really feel Jason is assuming with pleasure his official member status in Voivod.

5. RM : I know you and Jason have really been together for a while : I only have to think of your Tarrat project when Jason was still in Metallica. Was it this long-time friendship that motivated Jason to become an official member, as in the first place he was only supposed to be participating in the recording of the album?

ML : Well, you know Tarrat! (laughs) That was really an adventure into psychedelia, in the beginning of the 90's. It's a long time since we know each other, and Jason appreciates and really respects Voivod's way. I think he is really proud of being part of Voivod, and same for us (laughs). In fact, when we recorded the album, it seems it made him want to become really part of a band. This is mainly due to the fact he's free to experiment as he wants. We have a really good spirit in the band and it makes us really enthusiastic.

6. RM : After having a big success with Nothingface [blah, blah, astronomy domine, blah] Voivod came slowly back into the underground. Jason has declared in a conference at the launching of Ozzfest that he was proud to be both in the greatest rock enterprise in the world [sic] and in the coolest underground band. But isn't Voivod internationally known again?

Of course there's been more attention on Voivod than there ever could have been in the last ten years. It's also very clear that there has been an excellent welcome for that album in the metal community, but even if people know the name of Voivod they don't necessarily know our music. What's more, there's not a great Voivod public but rather a small core of very loyal fans who appreciate our music. It's good if Jason's presence enables us to renew our fan community, but you know, there are so many bands who want to be recognized and known, while we don't necessarily work that way.
There will always be a cult around Voivod's underground status, which really makes us who we are, a band without compromises, who do the music they want.

7. RM : Your return to the metal community really pleases me but talking about these last ten years, the last time you played in Rimouski [mid-size Québec town] was on Feb.2, 1996, in the Coudée du Cégep with the band Immortellys. Will we have to wait ten years (2006) to see Voivod here? (laughs) Or is it possible, now that Jason is in the band?

Even if our latest trip was some time ago, there has always been a good metal scene in Rimouski. And Voivod has always been welcome there. I'll give you our booking office number (laughs) In fact, it's you who received us here last time. What's more, we are planning to do a tour for the next album in spring 2005.

8. RM : Talking about that new album, when would be the recording and possibly launch date?

Well, we're in the final stages of [the writing] and it will either be recorded in San Francisco or Québec [province]. We plan to go to Studio Victor. What's more, I can't confirm Glen Robinson will be producing, but we'd like to have that Nothingface aura to our sound again.

9. RM : After having been on such labels as Hypnotic, Metal Blade, Noise/Combat, Century Media, you chose Jason's for the eponymous album ; will this also be true of the next album?

No, because that's too much work for Jason. That's why we want to soon record a demo with a few tracks which we would submit to different labels, including possibly Sanctuary. It's not because you're an existing band everything always works, so we'll work to it and see what will happen.

10. RM : I'd like to tell us for the newbies what the Voivod is - you mentioned a vampire lord.

Well, as he is seen on our website, Voivod is an antihero, a post-nuclear vampire lord, immortal and invincible. On our first album, we focused on nuclear wars and high-tech weapons. There's always been a social side to Voivod, with sci-fi, technology and a number of other fantastic stuff. However, as much as we have already written socially involved lyrics, I can assure you that on the next album, Snake and I have still got a lot to say.

11. RM : We're all eager to discover the next chapter. Let us know, it's always pleasant to support the Québec scene.

Even if some say we haven't really been popular here, we know we have a good following here, and there's no reason for it to end. Québec is known as a good place for metal.

(Done rather quickly - there may be misspellings, misunderstandings, or anything closely related)

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted October 28, 2004 07:52     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Merci, Heimdall!
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted October 28, 2004 13:07     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not that it wouldn't be my wet dream come true, but it's more unlikely that KC will tour with Voivod than you think. I recently read in a Fripp diary that his days as a touring musician are over. Fripp wasn't specific about that meant exactly (after all, there are still plans for a new King Crimson album next year), but as for supporting the album with a "conventional" tour, there's next to know chance.
As Fripp himself said, if something came up that couldn't be refused, than he probably wouldn't refuse it, but in all likelihood, there will be no touring.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 28, 2004 17:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know that a KC - Voivod tour would never happen... BUT it didn't hurt to dream

I do however feel that KC will tour after they release the next epic. You know damn well, that Belew, Mastellotto, and Leven will want to hit the road and they'll convince the Frippster to bring his axe, loops, and stool with them.

Thanks for the translation of the interview... very enlightening. I'd still say Sanctuary is a better lable than Chophouse. Besides, I doubt Voivod would be considered a 'small act' and get thrown to the side. Just my opinion.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 29, 2004 08:45     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Fripp is touring with G3 right now, looks like they will even come to Brazil next December...

Check this out, from Satriani's web site.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 29, 2004 13:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
am i the only one here who thinks it's weird that it could be too much work for someone who owns a label to put out a record? makes no sense to me at all.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 29, 2004 15:14     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If i truly said how i feel about that whole thing, i'd be once again pointed out as a hater. hehe.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 29, 2004 19:26     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hex:
It makes sense if you consider what kind of label.
Chophouse is small, unprofitable label. Which means (among other things) - understaffed, that in turn means much more work for everyone involved, including Jason. And it's not only pure production work, such as recording and mixing, that I'm counting here - it's also purely marketing things such as negotiating distribution contracts and such. [/QB]

promotion is something often done by a distro, many small indie labels go this route, it's not unusual. also, how many bands does the chophouse label manage? less than 10? i saw that photo of the staff, it looked like quite a bit of manpower. anyway, i'm not going to split hairs it's just that i have friends who hold down f/t jobs in addition to playing in bands plus running their own labels, who also tour, etc., etc., so i find this whole 'too busy' concept kind of ridiculous.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 29, 2004 19:52     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Considerably less than 10. Chophouse only handles 2 real bands - Echobrain and Voivod. The rest of the projects they release are just various jam sessions that have been recorded there over the years. "Chophouse" is just Jason's home studio, basically. And I think the "staff" is about 2 people, 3 if you count Jason. And they don't just run the "label" full time, they all do other things. As far as I know. Which isn't very far, actually...so just ignore me. I know nothing.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 29, 2004 20:49     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i know some good record labels that dont do jack shit. are they like that?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 30, 2004 15:54     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
[QUOTE]
p etc., etc., so i find this whole 'too busy' concept kind of ridiculous.

Maybe Jasonic and his XR4TI Crew are getting old...old...old...old.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 30, 2004 22:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wrinkles and grey hair?....uhm YES

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan