my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » EXCITER: Early Albums To Be Remastered, Reissued - Sep. 26, 2004

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EXCITER: Early Albums To Be Remastered, Reissued - Sep. 26, 2004
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 26, 2004 16:52       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Original EXCITER members Dan Beehler (drums, vocals) and Allan Johnson (bass) have joined forces with Megaforce Records and ANNIHILATOR chief Jeff Waters to re-master and re-release the first six EXCITER releases. The new versions of the classic early EXCITER albums will be re-mastered by Waters and will contain "loads of bonus material, including videos, rare interviews from the vault and some incredible photos from that era," according to an official press release. The six titles are:

Heavy Metal Maniac (1983)
Violence and Force (1984)
Long Live the Loud (1985)
Better Live Than Dead (1990)
Unveiling the Wicked (1986)
O.T.T. (1988)

+ EP "Feel The Knife" (1985) + "World War III" ("US Metal Volume 2" compilation/Shrapnel Records single 1982) + tons of collectors'/bonus videos, pics and interviews.

Megaforce Records will release "Violence and Force" on November 9, 2004, with the rest of the catalogue to follow in early 2005.

The Ottawa band was formed in 1979 by Beehler, Johnson and guitarist John Ricci. An early recording, "World War III", was picked up by Mike Varney's Shrapnel Records and the rest is history: metalheads were hooked on their raw, wild sound, long before thrash/speed metal had even been defined.

Drawing influences from British-style heaviness, their music is best described as a mutant cross between JUDAS PRIEST, IRON MAIDEN, and MOTÖRHEAD, done EXCITER style. By the time the debut record "Heavy Metal Maniac" was released in 1983, advance orders for 15,000 units had been placed just from the street buzz alone. The band would go on to sell hundreds of thousands more and have a huge influence on other now-well-known bands of that time.

By the end of 1983 EXCITER was signed to Megaforce Records, founding label to some of the most important and biggest names in metal (METALLICA, ANTHRAX, MANOWAR). They recorded their classic record "Violence and Force" and followed it up with "Long Live the Loud".

The release of these records had the band touring the world with the likes of MEGADETH, MOTÖRHEAD, MÖTLEY CRÜE and VENOM. 1985 also saw the departure of guitarist John Ricci. EXCITER forged on with the release of "Unveiling the Wicked" and "O.T.T.", playing in front of as many as 10,000 people per night in countries like Brazil.

In 1990 the original line-up joined forces again and made the album "Kill After Kill", then triumphantly returned to Europe for another successful tour. The band returned to Canada and recorded their first official live album, "Better Live Than Dead"; this would be the last collaboration that would mark the end of the legendary EXCITER line-up.

As previously reported, Waters and Beehler will be the special guests on Ottawa's CKCU FM 93.1 on Monday, Sept. 27 beginning at 10:30 p.m. EST.

To tune in, go to www.ckcufm.com and click on the "listen live" link (you will need Real Player to listen). Questions for Waters and Beehler can be submitted via e-mail at meltdown@thevortex.com.

IP: Logged
Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted September 26, 2004 17:57     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent! I never had HMM, been looking for it but it's outrageously out of price... plus it's an Ottawa band! Another excuse for buying it... "to support the local scene"! heh... I dearly hope they'll tour for that.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 27, 2004 12:21       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Live tonight!!!!
Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted September 27, 2004 21:24     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHAT?

*outrageously outraged*

You mean you live in Europe?

--------------------

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted September 28, 2004 06:47     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heimdall:
WHAT?

*outrageously outraged*

You mean you live in Europe?

No he means Sept. 27 beginning at 10:30 p.m. EasternST , yes last night. In most of Europe too late: 4:30/5:30 a.m.

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2004 09:29       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah live on the radio and i fuckin forgot all about it.damn it!
i wonder if they have a transcipt of the show?

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted September 28, 2004 18:38     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHAT???? I hadn't read that last bit about the Beehler interview!!! On CKCU! On Meltdown! My very own local metal radio show! Argh...

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 28, 2004 21:40     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heimdall:
Excellent! I never had HMM, been looking for it but it's outrageously out of price... plus it's an Ottawa band! Another excuse for buying it... "to support the local scene"! heh... I dearly hope they'll tour for that.

Not likely. Exciter's still an active band, John Ricci being the only original member. Actually there's a new Exciter album out, it's called "New Testament" or something like that. Old classics (from the first 3 albums) recorded with the current line up, just like Testament's "First Strike Still Deadly".

To be honest, I would not think Ricci is extra-happy about this remaster thing. Looking forward to it, tho.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted September 28, 2004 22:19     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
[QB]Not likely.[QB]

That's yet to see...

please?

--------------------

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 28, 2004 22:45       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The current Exciter line up SUCKS bad.They did the last 3 albums and the singer needs to go into a different line of work but Beehler is working on new stuff for his band Beehler,which sounds great.Course he's been working on this new Beehler stuff for several years now so i dont know if it will even happen. http://www.beehler.net/home.htm
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted September 30, 2004 09:23       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Annilhialtor website has the whole radio show for download in the forum section.
Excellent show.They anwsered both of my question and they played several newly remastered Exciter songs as well as the new Annihilator stuff.
Beehler and Jonhson, the original line up, would love to do a reunion record and tour but it's up to Ricci and he's happy with the current Exciter line up.So it wont happen until he(Ricci)is ready but Beehler and Johnson are together in the band Beehler which will have a new record coming out early next year.
Also the Beehler.net website will be updated soon.He's been busy with the remastering of the first 6 records.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 30, 2004 22:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LIVING EVIL - email me

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 27, 2004 20:39     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ooh yeah! i found the reissued Violence & Force in my local record store tonight. it is now mine.

fucking rule~

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 27, 2004 21:49       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wish i could find it but i heard it doesnt sound any better than the original.Let me know how it sounds.
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted December 27, 2004 23:03     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah!
Let US know how it sounds.

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...ą součre c'est Voļvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 28, 2004 18:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive never owned it on CD before, so i cant vouch for it in that respect.

it blows the cassette tape ive been listening to for the last 17 years out of the water tho. rocked my car nicely today.
and loudly.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 29, 2004 09:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
ive never owned it on CD before, so i cant vouch for it in that respect.

it blows the cassette tape ive been listening to for the last 17 years out of the water tho. rocked my car nicely today.
and loudly.

One really important question: does it have Evil Sinner on it???

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 29, 2004 21:46     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
One really important question: does it have Evil Sinner on it???

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! it doesnt! I TOTALLY MISSED THAT! why is that?

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 30, 2004 10:27     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! it doesnt! I TOTALLY MISSED THAT! why is that?

The previous CD edition didn't have it as well. I'd LOVE to know why's that as well.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 01, 2005 04:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah its only 9 tracks instead of 10....wha?

maybe they figured out "evil sinner" was redundant finally?

--------------------

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 17, 2005 12:16       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
get ready for 3 more excellent Exciter titles.

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?style=music&HT_SEARCH=XARTIST&HT_SEARCH_INFO=Exciter&cart=230809509&altsearch=yes

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 18, 2005 22:55     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exciter: Chuck Beehler (vocals, drums); John Ricci (guitar); Allan Johnson (bass instrument) This is funny. As opposed to (bass fish)
Can't wait to hear Heavy Metal Maniac!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

thrashbeast
VoivodFan
Member # 542

posted March 04, 2005 20:27     Profile for thrashbeast   Email thrashbeast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NOOOO! HEAVY METAL MANIAC!!! I still haven't heard that album. For anyone that has heard it, how is it? better than violence and force or OTT? it's the albums I have, that's why I ask.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted March 05, 2005 06:39       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's fuckin great!!!
2nd best band from Canada and much like Voivod i don't think they made a bad album.
yeah some are better than others but there all gold to me.

March 15th Long Live the Loud
Heavy Metal Maniac
Unvieling The Wicked
REMASTERED

you can pre-order them now on Amazon.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan