my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Johnny Ramone Dead at 55

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Johnny Ramone Dead at 55
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 16, 2004 00:15     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as influencing and inspiring people to play music goes I don't think any other guitar player even comes close. RIP Johnny Ramone.

Johnny

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 16, 2004 01:29     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sad, man ...too fucking sad. The whole fucking band's gone now. This guy's chord progressions were the backdrop for my first summer of sex, way back when.

R.I.P., Johnny, Joey & Dee Dee

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 16, 2004 01:34     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
We're a happy family
We're a happy family
We're a happy family
Me mom and daddy

Sitting here in Queens
Eating refried beans
We're in all the magazines
Gulpin' down thorazines

We ain't got no friends
Our troubles never end
No Christmas cards to send
Daddy likes men

Daddy's telling lies
Baby's eating flies
Mommy's on pills
Baby's got the chills

I'm friends with the President
I'm friends with the Pope
We're all making a fortune
Selling Daddy's dope

man, those were some good times

--------------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 16, 2004 02:36     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Too bad...Ramones sure left their mark on the rock scene (*heavy* understatement, I know)

RIP.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted September 16, 2004 06:43     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, one more time:

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be "cremated."

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 16, 2004 06:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just woke up and read this on my Yahoo page Another legend gone

I will play my favorite Ramones cd today: HALF WAY TO SANITY

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 16, 2004 07:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*sighs*
The Ramones curse continues. Goddammit.

Rest in Peace, dude.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 16, 2004 07:51     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Joey
Johnny
Frank Zappa
Chuck Schuldiner
who else?

fucking cancer

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 16, 2004 11:11     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I woke up with the bad news as well. Bad bad news.

quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I will play my favorite Ramones cd today: HALF WAY TO SANITY

Great pick, think I'm playing this one as well.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 16, 2004 11:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted September 16, 2004 19:15     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never been much into the Ramones but this is sad. Where is this world going when all the greats die?

I hope we won't get one of the (Monty) Pythons dead next.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Nord
VoivodFan
Member # 308

posted September 17, 2004 01:23     Profile for Nord   Email Nord     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've lost count of the number of times I saw the Ramones. They were a big part of my life for a very long time.

I got to meet Johnny one time. They'd done two nights at the Metro in Chicago, and we'd been in the first couple rows, stage right, both nights. We were still somewhat shell-shocked from the show, and were busy trying to round up our friends for the drive home. Johnny was walking down Clark Street as we were on our way to the car. We didn't notice him until we were virtually face-to-face. He stopped, recognizing us from the crowd, thanked us for coming both nights (unbelievable!), and shook hands with my brother. Very, very cool.

R.I.P.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 17, 2004 07:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TODAY in memory of Johnny I will blast the appropiatley titled cd:

WE'RE OUTTA HERE

--------------------

yawn

Peter Nubile
VoivodFan
Member # 474

posted September 20, 2004 01:03     Profile for Peter Nubile   Email Peter Nubile     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen, tis a very sad thing which happened the other day out there in the world of Rock 'N Roll... I'm at the moment kind of at a loss for words but, having said this, I must state right here that I have long admired the amazing Ramones phenomenon and looked at Johnny in particular as being one hell of a cool dude and no fooling either! I always used to get a real kick out of watching Johnny in action, he had some really funny mannerisms; almost a kind of a charming naivete which, from my perspective, made him all that much more remarkable and enjoyable to watch and listen to...

--------------------

"Woah, ho, ho, and a pint of Hefeweizen!!!"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 23, 2004 07:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Russ Meyer also passed away:
RUSS MEYER

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 24, 2004 21:28     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...thought I'd add this:

Sad to See You Go

Johnny Ramone, 1948–2004

Johnny Ramone was a guitar hero who hated guitar solos. He’d go entire decades using only two barre-chord formations in concert, up and down the neck with curt precision, slipping in a sneering half-second string bend every few years. The guitarist, who died at his Los Angeles home September 15 after a battle with prostate cancer, didn’t even play most of the scattered licks — they were too short to be called solos — that were overdubbed on the Ramones’ 14 studio albums. Yet his morbidly relentless down-stroke philosophy — just a Mosrite strummed impossibly fast, plugged into a fortress of Marshall stacks — instigated virtually every other punk rhythm guitarist, and acted as the louder-faster starting point for countless aggro-rock and metal groups, from Bad Brains and the Misfits to the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica.

Born on Long Island, John Cummings eventually replaced his teenage-hoodlum tendencies with the guitar, encouraged by the swaggering, anyone-can-do-it simplicity of Slade and the New York Dolls. He took the hardest power-chord elements of the Stooges, the Who, the Stones and the early Kinks, sped them up and basically ditched everything else. Although Johnny Ramone was an admittedly limited musician, he was the primary architect of the Ramones’ mesmerizing wall of sound; most bands need two guitarists to approximate the endless sea of distortion he churned out with such deceptive nonchalance. His militaristic approach to touring, rules and dress codes may have frustrated lead singer Joey and main songwriter Dee Dee when they wanted to go in different directions, but Johnny generally had the band’s best (and most punk) musical instincts. He recognized that there were a million great tunes hidden in that mind-clearing blur of fuzz; you just had to keep ’em to jukebox length.

—Falling James

--------------------

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted October 01, 2004 00:57     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really, really sad...

But, as we all know, the guy left his mark in rock's history and this is a privilege of few.

I must confess that I was fonder of Joey and Dee Dee, but Johnny was the main force behind the Ramones. He was the one who kept the band touring relentlessly for 2 decades and I was lucky enough to saw them live twice (first time in 1990 and the other one in the farwell tour).

R.I.P. Johnny

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted January 15, 2005 22:36     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Johnny gets his own statue...

Johnny's Statue

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 15, 2005 23:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, since hypergrrl mentioned the statue, here's the photos I took in NYC in front of CBGB's in Sept. 04..

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan