my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » German Anyone? assistance please!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: German Anyone? assistance please!
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 31, 2004 14:00     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If there's someone here in Voivod land that can speak German and English, I would love your help. A review of my band has just been posted on a German site and I would like someone to translate it for me. If you can help, I'd appreciate it! Thanks! And of course, there will be a free CD sent to you for your services. Thanks again!
www.ragazzi-music.de/deathtaxes04.html

|  IP: Logged
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 31, 2004 14:54     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
freetranslation.com

Remember when everyone though I was fluid in French

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 31, 2004 17:11     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for those links guys! Those sites are pretty cool. It's kinda fun too. The translations are word for word, so you have to do your best to get the meaning out of it. Cool. Thanks again.

Still, if anyone speaks German and English, I would still love a translation. Some of the phrasing makes it difficult to tell if it's a good or not so good review.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 31, 2004 21:05     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
theres also 'worldlingo'.com it translates whole webpages.
if ya need systran pro 7.0 let me know, fire up your favorite p2p sharing app give me a username and i'll hook ya with a copy.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 31, 2004 22:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ask Hypercube!
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted September 01, 2004 11:45     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Congratulations. It's a real good review. Here is my try:

DEATH & TAXES "The Alaska 12 Expeditions" (Home-Produced 2004)

The Name “Death & Taxes” has become dreadful truth for the band. The bass player and composer Thomas Patrick Shannon died after a long suffering from cancer on 12.11.2002. Tom, already marked by the terrible affliction, wrote most of the songs and ideas from the album, which has been published recently. After Tom’s death, Vince Martinez (g, voc, b), Dean McCall (dr, perc) and guests recorded the songs. Some of the bass lines were performed by Tom himself, as, for example, the bass solos in track 2 and 11.
“The Alaska 12 Experiment” is an immensely dense, impressive and very emotional album. It is partly ice cold in the tonal structure, high sensitive in extreme solos, powerful and hard in breaks and melody changing. The drums are playing the rhythm after a quit part, while the guitar is screaming with a sharp sound (Misunderstanding A Little Less Completely). That reminds of inevitable moments in horror movies, where horrible monsters float up over white fog. Then you have tracks with a song character (Revolver, Famous Strangeness), Blues Prog (Death:Theory) and hard Prog Metal (The Suffer Ring, It Is Now Becoming Fantastic). The tracks are extremely multilayered, complex and emotional, and despite of all self confidence there is also fear and fright.
Surely it wasn’t easy, to record the songs of their dead buddy, whose biggest wish was to make this music. The world has lost another brilliant musician and no one seems to notice.
The 6 minutes track “Terrifying Anticipations Of The Unspeakable” is the goose bumps hammer [track, which makes your body hairs stand] and the horrible climax of the album: Setting death to music. First you only here a church bell, in which the band comes in with a jazz-prog-motive, hard and merciless, very gruesome. The deep, distorted voice sounds like as if it comes directly out of hell and the bell doesn't stop ringing. Over the length of 6 minutes the track with his drama has the effect of being over-excited strange, like mad. And then the music fades away becoming quieter, slower like when a heart stops beating, same the bell, but when the music is gone, it becomes faster again and the sound is swaying some seconds. The most thrilling moment of horror! After that comes just a half-minute long bass solo by Tom Shannon, an almost happy and melancholy motive, which ends with a wrong tone. A long time after the music has faded away, the music is still in the room, in your ears and the silence is like death.
DEATH & TAXES have produced with “The Alaska 12 Expeditions” an extensive, serious, but warm-hearted album full of the joys of life, but which also has dark sounds, telling from death and giving death a tonal figure. It’s difficult for me, to call it excellent. But it is. There hadn’t been such a progressive Prog Metal album for a long time. This very touching, musically magnificent album will remain a highlight. The stroke of fate has become a great inspiration here. And if all goes well, the other boys will pay for that a lot of taxes. Nothing is so sure as death and taxes, DEATH & TAXES.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 01, 2004 13:25     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Hypercube! I'm sure Mustard Man will appreciate this.
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted September 08, 2004 13:22     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Been away for about a week now. I just read your post Hypercube. Thanks a bunch! That was very awesome of you to take the time to translate and post it for me. Thanks! I hope I can return the favor some how.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 08, 2004 20:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nicely summed up review of one of the best releases of 2004.
I don't think there could be a better swan song for Tommy, I'm sure he is extremley proud of what the band released.

lots of love and talent!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 20, 2004 18:12     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's not forget.....Mustard is one hell of a guitar player!!!! Hey, what is the website, I still can't find it!!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 21, 2004 00:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DEATH & TAXES WEB SITE

There ya go Mez!!!

It's been in my favorite folder for a long time

--------------------

yawn

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted October 13, 2004 10:35     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
Been away for about a week now. I just read your post Hypercube. Thanks a bunch! That was very awesome of you to take the time to translate and post it for me. Thanks! I hope I can return the favor some how.

Been away for some weeks too, computer broken down. Hope the translation was not totally unreadable. If so, I'm happy, I could help a little.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan