my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » now reading

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: now reading
Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 23, 2004 17:34     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, if there's a now playing thread, then why not.

Just finished E.A.Abbott's "Flatland", now I'm into "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

|  IP: Logged
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 23, 2004 19:16     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Tales To Astonish" by Ronin Ro. It's the story of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby revolutionizing the comic book industry. A fun little history lesson for a comic geek such as myself.

I am also kinda reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad. I'm at the Butthole Surfers chapter right now.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 24, 2004 07:47     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm into crime novels these days:

George Simenon - Les Fantômes du chapelier
( a hatter who's a serial strangler, but his armenian neighbour knows!)

Tonino Benacquista - Trois carrés rouge sur fond noir (story about a stollen painting and the main character having his hand cut by a sculpture!)

*off topic: how about the Edvard Munch painting that was stolen in Oslo!*

OMG!!!!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 24, 2004 09:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stalin - Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag-Montefiore. Mostly reading this for a school history project this year, and also because he's a hugely interesting figure in an area of history that fascinates me. It's a brilliant book.

Recently also, I've been reading a lot of Robert Rankin and Douglas Adams, two fantastic surrealist humour writers.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 24, 2004 10:52     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brave Words And Bloody Knuckles # 82

Great interviews with Cattle Decapitation, K.K. Downing, Nightwish and Borknagar.

Brian Lumley - Blood Brothers

Book 6 of the Necroscope series. Fucking excellent. I have been neglecting it for a couple of weeks, so I guess I should finish the damn thing...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 24, 2004 11:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Recently also, I've been reading a lot of Robert Rankin and Douglas Adams, two fantastic surrealist humour writers.

Thanks for mentionning Rankin, I didn't know him, but I'll check his books for sure!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 24, 2004 13:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just read the newest Valhalla (local magazine). There's a nice interview with Tom Warrior regarding the future of Celtic Frost. Among the most shocking revelations, Reed St. Mark is no longer in the band (there's another drummer already rehearsing with the band), Probe is just a working title for the new album (he said he's already got a more "CF suitable" title), which, btw, in Tom's words, has a sound "not far from that on To Mega Therion". Just in case someone is interested, I can provide a translation of some interesting parts of the interview.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 24, 2004 14:51     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the subject of reading material, a new extreme music magazine by the name of "Zero Tolerance" is being launched in the UK tomorrow. It's founded and edited by those fun-loving guys in Mithras, and it should be a good read, a nice counterpoint to Terrorizer's increasing... emo coverage. Yuck.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 24, 2004 15:32     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"At The Mountains of Madness" and
"The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", both by H.P. Lovecraft. Now moving on to the rest of his short stories that are included in the same book, "Omnibus I". I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to buy Omnibus II and III also, this is great reading!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 24, 2004 16:13     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now Reading...

This Thread.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 24, 2004 16:59     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The info on my beer can, the posts above, Lovecraft rules, I liked T.G. Fischer's book 'Are You Morbid?', and lately I've been reading 'De Terugkeer Van Bonanza' by Herman Brusselmans (probably unknown by any non-dutch reader).

Nexxxt up: we'll see what may cross my path, we'll see...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 24, 2004 17:08     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 25, 2004 11:37     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy Blood, Holy Grail...I have that but haven't read that yet. Is it good?
Just finished a book called Sunlight and Shadow. All based here in New Mexico and the woman who wrote it is in my water aerobics class. Impressive first novel. I will say it's definitely a 'chick book'.

I need a new book.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Peter Nubile
VoivodFan
Member # 474

posted August 25, 2004 12:44     Profile for Peter Nubile   Email Peter Nubile     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My two latest acquisitions are:

"Hunting (Carlos) the Jackal - A special forces and C.I.A. ground soldier's fifty-year career hunting America's enemies" by Billy Waugh with Tim Keown

and

"Bobby Fischer goes to war - How the Soviets lost the most extraordinary chess match of all time" by David Edmonds and John Eidinow

This second book is an unexpected yet very joyous find which I made while perusing through the University of Nevada's bookstore a couple months ago in Reno. As soon as I put my sweaty palms on it I just knew that I had to have it! I'm always on the lookout for kind of offbeat yet colorful, entertaining, informative, fact based, and humorous books about unusual subjects. The chess match in question is the infamous 1972 world championship chess match between the reigning soviet world chess champion Boris Spassky - a "fun loving, sensitive and free spirit" who was the most un-soviet of soviet champions; and the american challenger Bobby Fisher - a "manipulative, dysfunctional genius who risked all to seize control of the contest as the organizers manuevered frantically to save it". This book is highly entertaining and a hard one to put down once you start reading it!

--------------------

"Woah, ho, ho, and a pint of Hefeweizen!!!"

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 26, 2004 20:33     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Holy Blood, Holy Grail...I have that but haven't read that yet. Is it good?
Just finished a book called Sunlight and Shadow. All based here in New Mexico and the woman who wrote it is in my water aerobics class. Impressive first novel. I will say it's definitely a 'chick book'.

I need a new book.

ill tell you when i get through. hold your horses!!!!

(but seriously)

it starts out pretty hard and heavy, then halfway through it kinda drags. thats where im at, right now, the dragging part.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 26, 2004 22:54     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom - The Lazarus Effect.

I'm really into science fiction these days.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 27, 2004 07:44     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just started reading last night:
Clive Barker's WEAVEWORLD

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 27, 2004 09:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bio on Thomas Jefferson

Gentleman's Blood (history of dueling)

Chopin's Funeral

all three excellent!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan