my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Vinyl curiosities

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vinyl curiosities
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted August 23, 2004 08:24     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is about strange pieces of vinyl
colored, shaped, picture discs, one-sided vinyls
Albums ending on a loop, backwards messages...

My best item is certainly Mr Bungle - Disco Volante; on the vinyl 'the secret song' is actually hidden (side A, 3rd track) there's a second groove, parallel to the normal needle path..
You have to lift the needle and try to hit the other groove...
I heard about it a long time after buying the LP - what a shock! a secret song!!

I've got that Zinyker/Thumper split 7'' which isn't the usual split album, on this one both bands are playing at the same time: one band on the right channel, the other on the left...
so you can hear one or the other, in mono (both at the same time just doesn't fit - 3 songs on the right and 2 on the left..) It's so stupid I bought it at once
It's called "Religions have been based on Less", and the cover shows a catholic priest pointing a gun to a rabbit.

The 'Bllleeeuuuaaarrrggghh' and 'Son of B...', also 7-inches, featuring something like 70 different bands

I've seen an Anal Cunt 7'' with 5000 songs on it - they said they had this 16-track board, so they put as many songs as possible on all channels, then mixed it
(didn't buy this one...)

So, do you own or know any interesting vinyls ?

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 23, 2004 08:28     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got that little Cathedral 7" that's hilarious... It's called Twilight Songs, and it's got an extremely drunken version of Sabbath's Solitude on it.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 23, 2004 10:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[ on the vinyl 'the secret song' is actually hidden (side A, 3rd track) there's a second groove, parallel to the normal needle path..
You have to lift the needle and try to hit the other groove...

Hi, KISS already did this. It was a single with (if i am correct) I was made... and in the next groove there was Rock and roll all night live. On the other side there was the signatures of the 4 Kissers.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 23, 2004 10:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These marvels you have sound great, neutrino, especially the Mr. Bungle album.

I have a 7 inch of the São Paulo FC anthem. Plus, I have a 7 inch of the Stones playing "Start me up". Can't get any weirder, I think.

I also have the domestic release of DK's "Fresh Fruit", it's on white vinyl and has the poster with the lyrics plus a press-release. The normal version (white vinyl and poster only) is quite rare over here, since it was an only press (alleggedly Jello/AT never got paid for it, so no re-releases). Never saw a US version of it, so I really dunno if the white vinyl was destined for the Brasilian release only.

Plus, I have "The Outer Limits" on vinyl. It has nothing special at all, but TOL on vinyl is a curiosity for itself.

One thing I'd really love to have is that Napalm Death/SOB 7 inch split. On one side it's ND's "You suffer", on the other it's S.O.B. with another 1-sec song.

P.S.: there's a store in São Paulo selling a picture disc version of Nile's Black Seeds Of Vengeance. I'm still thinking of buying it, since it's sooooo good looking...

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 23, 2004 10:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you asked! Here's a full page of recording Oddities, with the number 5 being that Bleeeeuuuaarrrgh compilation you're talking about. You'll note that some people really have imagination for packagings...

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 23, 2004 14:42     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got this 3-sided "Monty Python Matching Tie&Handkerchief" vinyl, it has two parallel grooves on one side. (Canadian and UK pressings only)

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 23, 2004 16:33     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
I've seen an Anal Cunt 7'' with 5000 songs on it - they said they had this 16-track board, so they put as many songs as possible on all channels, then mixed it
(didn't buy this one...)

HAHA, that is so fucking funny!

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 23, 2004 19:27     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't have them any anymore, but I used to collect Mad Magazines when I was a kid and I remember getting a square shaped vinyl type of recording in one of the magazines. Anyone remember that?
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted August 23, 2004 19:47     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't own many vinyl rarities, but I'd point the picture disc version of Sabbath's "Greatest Hits" as one of my favorite items. It has the famous Bosch painting on the A Side and a live photo of Ozz on the B Side.

Slaytanic: I've been asking myself the same question about the Brazilian version of "Fresh Fruits...". BTW, I have the Greek pressing of this record (regular black vinyl with the distributor's info written in Greek!!).

Speaking of Voivod, I have "Killing Technology" on vinyl and one of my cousins used to have a beautiful picture disc of that 4-song EP featuring "Thrashing Rage", "To the Death!" and 2 other tracks. Shit! I should've stolen the damn thing...

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted August 24, 2004 01:58     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Here's a full page of recording Oddities

oh yeah there's some really sick packaging on that Oddities page!
And I love the 1-inch, 2-inches and 16-inches you can't play on a normal table...

a friend of mine has a song on a post card - sounds worse than flexi

the Confessor 12'' EP has no indication of speed, I'm sure they did it on purpose (bastards) - at first I really didn't know what was the normal speed, it didn't sound normal anyway

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 24, 2004 08:02     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
the Confessor 12'' EP has no indication of speed, I'm sure they did it on purpose (bastards) - at first I really didn't know what was the normal speed, it didn't sound normal anyway

Didn't the Butthole Surfers do that too with one of their first record?

Korgul
VoivodFan
Member # 475

posted August 24, 2004 09:41     Profile for Korgul   Email Korgul     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN 7"Ep live.
On the first side you have 2 songs but the two begin at the beginning of the disc so you have to try many times before playing the song you want.
And on the other side the first song play normally, but the second begin at the end of the disc and so if you have an automatic record player you cannot listen to it !!!

--------------------

My sky is black today

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 24, 2004 10:42     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While not really "rare", I do have a few vinyls with some odd things on them. At the end of a side, before the label, there's usually stuff etched in like the serial number and catalogue number. These ones have some extra things...

Re-Animator - Deny Reality (Music For Nations) on side 2 the words: "IS THAT IT" are etched in.

Venom - At War With Satan (Neat Records)

at the end of 'this side' the etching reads "13.1.84 SHEMHAMFORASH" which means Hail Satan. On 'that side' it says "IS ERIC ROUND"

Venom - Manitou 12" (Neat Records) on side 2 it says "TANA RECT'O'S M'O'I" what ever the fuck that means.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 24, 2004 17:06     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Didn't the Butthole Surfers do that too with one of their first record?

Indeed. Instead it sez: 69 rpm.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan