my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Sheik Yerbouti

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sheik Yerbouti
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted August 22, 2004 18:28     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shake Your Booty
 |  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 22, 2004 18:45     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shouldn't this go in the Cosmic Debris section?

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 22, 2004 21:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhhhh, WHY?

Sorry, Tango but I really dislike the majority of Zappa's music from about '79 on. It was like when John Wayne started directing his own movies...just too much of himself in there.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 23, 2004 12:19     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are You Hung Up?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted August 23, 2004 19:28     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Uhhhh, WHY?

Sorry, Tango but I really dislike the majority of Zappa's music from about '79 on. It was like when John Wayne started directing his own movies...just too much of himself in there.

Woow...I love the 80's band, Mezcal! One can't go wrong with a line-up consisting on Chad Wackerman, Ray White, Steve Vai, Ike Willis, Bobby Mars, Scott Thunes... Not to say that records such as "You Are What You Is", "Them or Us" and "Broadway the Hardway" are among my fave Zappa works.

WIth that said, my opinion on this matter is totally biased.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 24, 2004 07:55     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personaly, I don't like the *sound* of the 80s band (electronic drums, synths, dry mix, it just makes me cringe...), but the playing is incredible! I mean, just listen to things like "Drowning Witch"* or "Teenage Prostitute" (it's on Tangento's PMS comp!), it's just so tight!

*About "Drowning Witch", Zappa once said that his band NEVER played it right, because it was so difficult. They came close once...

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 24, 2004 17:09     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My fav Zappa band was the '74 band. Just listen to 'Roxy & Elsewhere' and 'YCDTOSA Vol.2: The Helsinki Concert'!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 25, 2004 07:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
My fav Zappa band was the '74 band. Just listen to 'Roxy & Elsewhere' and 'YCDTOSA Vol.2: The Helsinki Concert'!

TOTALLY AGREE! Seems like you read my mind.

Chester, Ruth, the Fowler bros., Ian Underwood, George Duke! Coolest bunch of all! And the Helsinki concert is probably my fav Zappa recording of all time.

Chester's thing... ON RUTH!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 25, 2004 10:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mal, my favorite Zappa album is called Piquantique which I believe is this Helsinki show. Has about seven beautifully perfect compisitions on it. Extremely funny too. I wonder if this is the same show you speak of. Also my favorite band!
And yeah, I also agree wholeheartedly that like everything else in the 80's, his material grew weaker and weaker. Some songs here and there are good but nothing to compare with his earlier work. And IMO, the humor just got really dumb and pointlessly vulgar.

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted August 26, 2004 06:29     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, thanks again for giving me that amazing Piquantique album. Truly great.
Btw, go see The Grandmothers if you got th opportunity. Saw them here recently, and the show was amazing. 100% Zappa...gotta see this.
Greets...

--------------------

What the...?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 26, 2004 07:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey Mal, my favorite Zappa album is called Piquantique which I believe is this Helsinki show. Has about seven beautifully perfect compisitions on it. Extremely funny too. I wonder if this is the same show you speak of.

The Helsinki show album is "You Can't Do That On Stage Vol. 2". It's the WHOLE show (2CDs set) and includes the Inca Road solo that ended up edited on the One Size Fits All album. Go get it! (And I'll check out that album you're talking about, thnx!)

EDIT: Just checked: Piquantique is a broadcast show recorded in Stockholm in 1973, with 5 tracks. Not the same thing as the Helsinki show, which is a 2 hours almost non-stop frenzy!

Look:
Piquantique

Helsinki

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 26, 2004 10:24     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh, yes, I just discovered this little fact this morning. I own the YCDTOSA volume and do love it. The Stockholm (Piq) show is '73 and does not feature Napolean which is nice cause I found him kind of annoying and clownish. Same band and the music is how should I say BEYOND........

Ahh, yes Simon forgotten I'd sent that to ya. Cheers buddy! Still enjoying the Holdsworth.

I sure wish Tango would comment on my "Zappa went down the drain in the 80's" view.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 26, 2004 10:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, where the hell is Tangento these days?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 27, 2004 09:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mal, how about a trade sometime? I just got a computer and need a new writer but as soon as that happens....its burning time. I got a lot of catching up to do.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted December 31, 2004 05:03     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yesterday I bought "Roxy & Elsewhere". I didn't heard the album before bying (very dangerous by Zappa, you know), just remembered, that the majority of this thread loves this one. And they are so right, it's fantastic. Thanx
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 02, 2005 02:29     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, HERE is this fucking thread! I swear it must have hid from me everytime I looked for it. That, or I am a total retard... OK now STFU! Mez, I can see your point about the 80s stuff, but it doesn't change the fact that some of my fave Zappa tunage came from this period in time. For example, side 2 of Drowning Witch, which is phenomenal beyond description IMO. Besides, I usually skip right over all the silly & annoying crap and make my own 'Zappa Best Ofs' anyway. I will be back to stir up some shit after I get some fucking sleep, man.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan