my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "Re-discovering" Lost Metal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Re-discovering" Lost Metal
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 12, 2004 22:59     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today I was going through some old CD's and "literally" dusting off a few of them!

In the process, I found "Fear, Emptiness, Despair" from good ol' Napalm Death...so I decided to give it another deserved spin after years of collecting cob-webs.

Man..it's been a looong time since I played it, but right when the first notes of "Twist the Knife Slowly" blasted through my speakers...I was once again back into ND-Mayhem!!

One thing I forgot about this disc, is the production: so fucking "dirty and heavy!" It's just like that little jack hammer picking into your brain once again, little by little, !

oh btw, "The Plague Rages" fucking kills!

Has anyone else recently "dusted off" something in the metal-genre, and are now satisfied for doing so?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 12, 2004 23:08     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhh, let me think.

I dusted off some Maiden recently, but didn't sound as good as I might have expected.

On the other hand, Rush's COUNTERPARTS I had left off since I had first heard it, but what a surprise when I dusted it off yesterday : it's a great album!

So now I feel good, yeah.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 12, 2004 23:25     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's been about a year, so not too long, but a couple of nights ago I broke out Don't Break The Oath and fuck, what a great album it is!! I can totally understand someone not getting it because of KD's voice (I love it myself), but this is definitely one of my favorites

Then I listened to Rastaman Vibration right after, and that is a great album too.

Fom one extreme to the next

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 13, 2004 01:25     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a coincidence! I also pulled Fear, Emptiness, Despair out yesterday to give it a spin! Damn good album. Lately I've been playing ND's Words From The Exit Wound. Love that album.
Lost metal albums? Hmmm..I bought some stuff on CD recently that I only had on casette and I've been playing them alot. Stuff I was surprised as hell to find at my friends used CD shop too, like:

Metal Church - Blessing In Disguise
SFH - One Of Those Days
Scorpions - Lovedrive

Great finds, all of them. I got a shitload of new stuff lately too, so not too many classics have been dug out of the vault.

I did manage to find Kick Axe - Vices on Winmx a couple of weeks back and that's been getting TONS of play.

I'm driving to Grand Forks in the morning so maybe I'll bring Don't Break The Oath along for the ride. It's my fave MF album, andf one of my fave Metal records ever. The wife will love it.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 13, 2004 10:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did I mention I love satan?
The one cd I found used was Van Halen's first, and that thing rocks. They'll be playing here on October. Is it worth seeing? Van Hagar?
Also, I want that Napalm Death! Whatever Napalm Death song that is on the PMS comp. disc 1 or 2, I forget...I loooovvveeee that song!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 13, 2004 10:50     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not even THAT old, but I'm listening a lot lately, after a long hiatus, to Arch Enemy's Burning Bridges, last album with Johan Liiva on vocals, I think. I even brought it to work today. The Amott brothers rip on this one!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 13, 2004 14:16     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Scorpions - Lovedrive

Aww. I've been looking for this one on CD for two months.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 13, 2004 16:44     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Did I mention I love satan?
The one cd I found used was Van Halen's first, and that thing rocks. They'll be playing here on October. Is it worth seeing? Van Hagar?
Also, I want that Napalm Death! Whatever Napalm Death song that is on the PMS comp. disc 1 or 2, I forget...I loooovvveeee that song!

That's "The Infiltraitor" on disc 1 - and since it's one of the songs that's missing from the tracklist, I'm not suprised you forgot which one it was. Tangento found me the correct tracklist, btw. I'll post it later unless he beats me to it.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 13, 2004 19:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Napalm Death disc is that on? What Napalm Death is good to buy? HELP!

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 14, 2004 00:27     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get:
Words From the Exit Wound (Infiltraitor, Ulterior Exterior)
and
Enemy of the Music Business (Taste the Poison, Next on the List).
Awesome shit, man.
Those are the 4 ND songs on the PMS discs.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted August 14, 2004 08:47       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've dusted off some old stuff and gave it another listen and cant figure out what i liked in it but i've also listen to stuff i didnt care too much for and was blown away by what i was missing out on.
IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 14, 2004 13:10     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Talk about your run-on sentence!!

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 14, 2004 21:08     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Tangento!

I'm loving my PMS discs. I think I like 1 & 2 the best...the music makes my brain happy.

--------------------

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted August 15, 2004 00:14     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As usual,I'm totally obsessed with music(in a good way)so I haven't yet had a chance to listen to the increasing piled-up bags of used cds and vinyl albums I buy regularly.Lost metal,I'm not saying these guys were geniuses lyrically,but i bought their album on cassette during the "speed-metal crisis' high school year of 1987-the band-ZOETROPE(Chicago).Decent,primitve,rough "iron-ganglike" street metal which gives me good memories("A Life of Crime"). I just found the vinyl of "Anmensty". Also,Possessed,Razor(original vocalist only),Metal Church(1st two albums fucking kill!),Prong(1st two albums only!). Of course,this is only a partial list as there is so much stuff out there but ya gotta hunt for it!!!!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 15, 2004 07:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Get:
Words From the Exit Wound (Infiltraitor, Ulterior Exterior)
and
Enemy of the Music Business (Taste the Poison, Next on the List).
Awesome shit, man.
Those are the 4 ND songs on the PMS discs.

Christ, you're practically talking about "Napalm Death" essentials here...I also should've started another thread by simply saying that "Scum", "Harmony Corruption", and "Utopia Banished" also were qualified essentials!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 15, 2004 14:07     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've gotten every Napalm LP disc except for Enemy in the past 2 years

Tangento and EK(fill in the blank) are largely to blame

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 15, 2004 14:18     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Napalm Death deserved their own exclusive post.

Things I have dusted off in the past year would be:

Rigor Mortis (S/T)--Can definately here the Mike Scaccia that would become Ministry on Psalm 69

Dyoxen (First Among Equals)--Another Quebecois band lost in the shuffle

Overkill (Under the Influence)--Busted it out after getting Wrecking Everything Live

Dark Angel (Live Scars)--Busted it out after I figured out how great Gene Hoglan is

WASP (Live...In the Raw)--Only because I have it...Live shit is usually better anyways

Metal Church (The Dark)--Very good

Sodom (Agent Orange)--Brutal

Black Flag (In My Head)--Cassette I got back in late 85 is still holding up

Gang Green (You Got It)--Good

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted August 15, 2004 16:49     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably not Metal, but still a good album

Thunder and Lightning - Thin Lizzy
The track "The Sun Goes Down" gives me "goose bumps".

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 16, 2004 08:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnkiZ:
Probably not Metal, but still a good album

Thunder and Lightning - Thin Lizzy
The track

"GODDAMN IT'S SO EXCITING"

The hell it ain't metal!!! LOve that fuckin album!!!

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 16, 2004 19:42     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

just remember, im here to help.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan