my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » W.A.S.P.: Montreal Show Cancelled

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: W.A.S.P.: Montreal Show Cancelled
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 09, 2004 08:08     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
W.A.S.P.: Montreal Show Cancelled, Stage Deemed 'Not Strong Enough' For BLACKIE And Co. - Aug. 8, 2004

W.A.S.P. cancelled their sold-out concert at Foufounes Electriques in Montreal Sunday night (August 8) after the club's stage was allegedly deemed not strong enough to withstand the 1,000-lbs. mic stand (presumably the same one pictured here during the band's show in San Diego, courtesy of OnTrackMagazine.com) that W.A.S.P. wanted to use as part of their live show, according to a statement by the concert organizers posted outside the club. The promoters allegedly tried to get the stage adjusted in time without success, claiming that they had only become aware of the massive stage piece 48 hours before the show. The statement went on to claim that Foufounes Electriques and the show organizers offered W.A.S.P. more money to show up, but the band allegedly refused to come. The group have yet to comment on the cancellation.

::::::

Awwwwww! My heart really bleeds for them.
They just couldnt do theyre show without theyre 1000lb monster thingy on stage.
What a bunch of bullshit.

Now i am reminded why I dont like WASP.

|  IP: Logged
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 09, 2004 11:08     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's be honest here. If W.A.S.P. had to rely on their music I doubt they would be touring at all. They should take a cue from Spinal Tap and have it made out of foam. No one would know the difference!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 09, 2004 11:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY!!!
Let's not forget: It's not about the music, it's about how cool you stage props, clothes, and pyrotecnics are... don't you guys know anything about the music buisness?

--------------------

yawn

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 09, 2004 18:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey nevermind all that, they just better not cancel the show here on the 25th coz I'm going.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 09, 2004 18:36     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you guys should start a website to gripe about this...how about blackyhater.com?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted August 09, 2004 21:07     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Want a funny story?

Just ask "our" Blacky what he does to the "other one" at a certain '85 show at the Montreal' Spectrum when WASP played their set.
I was there too,
But I prefer let Noiro told us what really happened then...so funny!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted August 10, 2004 00:40     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a clue!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 10, 2004 10:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't get that link to work. What the hell happened????
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 10, 2004 10:57     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
HEY!!!
Let's not forget: It's not about the music, it's about how cool you stage props, clothes, and pyrotecnics are... don't you guys know anything about the music buisness?

Let's not leave out the "attraction" factor either! There's nothing better than good metal played by hot dudes!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 10, 2004 11:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Let's not leave out the "attraction" factor either! There's nothing better than good metal played by hot dudes!

Actually I've never been interested in the HOT DUDE attraction of ANY band!!! But hey, I do understand it for the ladies... what hot babe wants to go watch Lemmy sing when she can drool over Mike Tramp!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 10, 2004 12:26     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's wrong with Lemmy, schroeder?

--------------------

Heimdall
VoivodFan
Member # 462

posted August 10, 2004 23:46     Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They've just cancelled the Ottawa show tonight FOR THE SAME REASON!!!

What a fucking bunch of whiny cunts.

Now every metalhead in Ottawa hates WASP.

--------------------

The demons are so creative...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 11, 2004 01:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
What's wrong with Lemmy, schroeder?

Hey, I don't usually rate guys... actually I NEVER rate guys, but never figured Lemmy would considered HOT looking. Although I guess if you're into that rough biker metal god look he'd be the poster-boy. I doubt he'll end up on the cover of GQ though.

--------------------

yawn

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 11, 2004 20:16     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha, I just won 2 free tickets to the WASP show here Sunday night. 6, count 'em, 6 local openers. I think I'll catch the local heavy bands and split before Blackie's flabby ass cruches the stage.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 12, 2004 00:01     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bwhaha!!
ANOTHER GIG CANCELLED!!
After montreal and ottawa, now it's Buffalo that's cancelled.... citing Blackie has "food poisoning".

From Blabbermouth:
W.A.S.P. have cancelled their scheduled appearance at Club Infinity in Buffalo (Clarence), New York Wednesday night (August 11). According to one fan's posting on the band's official forum, a club representative has indicated that "the opening bands [are] still going to play, but 'W.A.S.P.'s singer [Blackie Lawless] is on the way to the hospital for food poisoning, he said that they are going to try to play if they can, but we won't know until after the openers go on.' " The fan goes on to say that he placed another phone call to the venue an hour later, only to be told that "W.A.S.P. has cancelled and again that Blackie was on his way to the hospital, only instead of just food poisoning the girl tells me that '...an ulcer...um...a stomach virus...err...food poisoning...something is wrong with his stomach.'"

Bullshit.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 12, 2004 03:27     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a load of doggy-doo.
Poor tickiet sales maybe? Great story about BLACKY pouring beer on blacky back in '85! How old are the WASP's anyway. In their 50's? Go away! The only 50 yr. olds I want to see in leather pants, bangin' their heads and throwing devil signs into the air is Priest! Damn they rocked the Ozzfest!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 12, 2004 22:36     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK now it's ridiculous:

W.A.S.P. have cancelled their scheduled appearance at the Mr. Smalls Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA Thursday night (August 12), according to a venue representative who spoke to BLABBERMOUTH.NET. The show was called off because the group's lead singer, Blackie Lawless, is "very ill" with "pneumonia," the representative said.

The Pittsburgh no-show marks the fourth cancellation in five days for Lawless and co. The group cancelled their sold-out concert at Foufounes Electriques in Montreal Sunday night (August 8) after the club's stage was allegedly deemed "not strong enough" to withstand the 1,000-lbs. microphone stand that W.A.S.P. regularly use as part of their live show. A scheduled performance in Ottawa Tuesday night (August 10) was called off because the barriers in front of the stage at the Barrymore's Music Hall were determined to be inadequate. Wednesday night's (August 11) show at Club Infinity in Buffalo (Clarence), New York didn't happen because Lawless was said to be "on [his] way to the hospital [to receive treatment] for food poisoning."

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 13, 2004 11:02     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any more news? It is Friday the 13th, y'know.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2004 17:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's what really happened...from Metal Sludge(of course):

This was sent around the press circles by none other that Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles' senior writer Mitch Lafon. Just for shits & giggles, we decided to add a few of our own comments along the way. Hope you don't mind.

Montreal August 8th -

WASP was scheduled to perform to a tape of course in Montreal tonight at Foufounes Electriques (a BCI promoted show/ sponsored by BW&BK/bravewords.com). Venue capacity 615 - show SOLD OUT! Warrant could've sold 715 tickets, but who's counting.

The band was scheduled to arrive at the venue at 2PM - to set up, stand around soundcheck, bitch about monitors, etc... So, I decided to get there for 3PM (which I did). Mitch did, he just said so. The band materialized as opposed to just walking in? a little after 6PM.

In walks three henchmen (roadies & road manager) - looking glum wouldn't you if you worked for W.A.S.P.? and pissed off (I might too if I just had a 14 hour from Chicago or so I was told).... we'd be pissed off too, especially if we had to ride in a bus with Blackie that whole time. First words out of the tour manager's lips... "This place smells like shit" (which it doesn't but whatever). But in reality probably did; after all, what club doesn't smell? They proceed to get on the stage and bounce on it (as if it were a trampoline) (or Blackie's gut). Then they start measuring it by the scientifically proven method - walking it off... They're even more pissed and call in the promoter... They huddle and discuss the situation... Next each band member (with the exception of Blackie) (real name Steve) walk instead of materializing into the venue and examine the stage.

Stet (Howland) (who was sucked back into WASP last minute after quitting a few years ago) decides that his drum riser cannot fit and REFUSES to play the show without it... he retreats to the bus. Mike (Duda, bass) looks a little worse for wear from the road - (that's not really a compliment to Mike) looks around in a tired daze (that's his normal look by the way) and leaves (like a tree?). The guitarist (Darrell Roberts, no relation to Oral Roberts) comes in... and he starts fuming like hot piss on a cold urinal cake... he leaves (also, like a tree?). (Blackie is on the bus parked out back the entire time). No doubt hiding from his own shadow, kinda like Paul Stanley meets Michael Jackson.

The crew (no reference to Nikki, Tommy or Vince) informs the promoter that Blackie's mic stand weighs 1000lbs and is too heavy for the stage... The combined weight of all the plaers in W.A.S.P. equals 700-1000 lbs, so what's the big deal? They inform the promoter that if his mic stand cannot be accommodated (Does the rider indicate that the mic stand gets its own hotel room nightly?) the band will leave (What's W.A.S.P.'s obsession with trees?). So, the promoter scrambles - hires a welder, get sheet metal, etc... offers the band more money, (should've offered an ass kicking instead) etc... but the show is in jeopardy... (and Mark McGrath is nowhere in sight to help answer the questions)

At about 6:45 the crew (smelly helpers) get on the bus and LEAVE (do we need to say it again, or do you know what goes here?)- promoter is confused...(the reality is, that many rock stars are dicks, so don't be confused) he receives a call from the band (typical chicken shit move after bailing the venue before the gig) saying the show is canceled unless you can find a NEW VENUE!!!! Hold everything, what's this in my pocket? (and that the band is headed to the hotel). I don't know about other cities but finding a fully staffed (barmaids, coat check, security, etc) venue at 7PM on a Sunday for a show scheduled at 9PM is not the easiest thing to do. Should've called Happenin' Harry. Promoter scrambles some more, but finds a solution... Informs the band and is told "yeah, we just don't wanna play tonight."

A SOLD OUT crowd had to be informed that the band didn't want to play because Blackie's mic stand didn't fit on the stage to his specifications and that refunds would be available tomorrow (minus service charges)... LONG LIVE ROCK, EH???

Let's not forget that Blackie got a NON-REFUNDABLE 50% advance (show was $4500 US - so I'm told) and the promoter is out the cost of catering(all the perishable foods), security, door-man, ticket-girl, soundman and other staff.....(probably another $2000).

If this wasn't a Spinal Tap/Metal Sludge moment -- then I just don't know what is...

Nice of Mitch to drop our name in there. Did we read that correctly? A 1000 lb mic stand? WTF?! That’s almost twice as much as Blackie himself weighs. What’s he compensating for with that thing anyway? Anyhow, later that day, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles posted the following blub on their Web site, to which we also added a few of our own comments:

According to the Foufounes Electriques website, W.A.S.P. cancelled their Sunday, August 8th night show at the Montreal club because the stage was supposedly not strong enough to support a 1,000 lb microphone stand (Greatly exaggerated weight. That's half a fuckin' car!) used by frontman (fatman) Blackie Lawless (real name Steve). Attempts were made to make proper adjustments (meaning, kissing Blackie's ass), to no avail as the organizers found out about the problem only 48 hours (number of hours to rock over the weekend, according to Pretty Boy Floyd) before the show. W.A.S.P. were reportedly offered more money (they should've offered them an ass-beating) to play with a stripped down set (what, and take away the background tapes?!) but they refused. Neither Lawless (real last name Ballbag) nor management (GAF) have commented on the incident as of yet. We'll keep you posted.

MelodicRock.com also carried the story:

WASP pulled out of their Montreal show last night (too bad Blackie's Father didn't pull out) - only hours before the sold out (hype) show was to kick off. Sounds like something their guitarist did a few years ago at a Metal Sludge party. Reporter Mitch Lafon (Canadian) was at the venue all afternoon with his press pass (press pass at a 500 seat venue = impressive) to cover the show and reports that offered several excuses (the tape machine we borrowed from Milli Vanilli keeps skipping) why they couldn't play at the scheduled venue (stage too small, no drum riser, not strong enough stage to carry the weight of Blackie's mike stand), before refusing to play unless an alternative venue was organized. Sorry, Blackie, the local stadium is for football games, the Olympics and Rolling Stones concerts, not your medieval 3rd rate Alice Cooper tribute band. Everything was done by the promoter to accommodate
the band, and informs them of such only to be told: "yeah, we just don't wanna play tonight..."

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 09, 2004 18:54     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
. Neither Lawless (real last name Ballbag)...
WASP pulled out of their Montreal show last night (too bad Blackie's Father didn't pull out)

Whew! I'm stifling some major laughs over here...my boss is in the same room.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 10, 2004 10:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What we need is *the other* Blacky to spill beer on his head...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan