my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Random Thoughts on a new Megadeth record.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Random Thoughts on a new Megadeth record.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 11, 2004 18:50     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bet you thought i'd write another novel-sized concert review for Violent Femmes like i did Infernal Majesty eh? Well, ok, let's get this out of the way quickly:

Five people in a Geo. Standing in the mud, not cool. Gig was awesome. They even did "Color Me Once" from The Crow soundtrack, extremely cool. Got stomped on for snoring too much, sleeping on a tiny matress on Monia's floor. Drove everyone insane in the car this morning, blasting country music. So yah, it was fun.

NOW!! The Megadeth thingy.

Yah, so the new record got leaked and it appeared on the 'net late last night / early this morning, and i got hold of it this afternoon... a whole two months in advance.

So far, i think it fucking rules. "Blackmail the Universe" has a great trademark 'Deth riff that harkens back to their early days, while still sounding new and fresh. "Die Dead Enough" could be big on radio... it's got a great hook. Most of you's heard Kick The Chair already, so you know it's a good heavy track. "The Scorpion" is my favorite so far.... i really like the chorus in this one. "Tears in a Vial" also has a great main riff and hook, but it gets bonus point for including one of the tastiest Chris Poland solo i ever heard! "I know Jack" is just a little intro thing that segues into "Back In the Day" which, you guessed it, is a total '80 heavy metal track (it even goes as far as ripping off the riff of Maiden's Flash Of The Blade). This one should be huge in Europe. And it goes on...

I could continue with the whole track listing but why bother? It's all good! It's got great songs, great riffs, and great hooks. I'm definately getting this when it comes out.

Dave's back, baby!

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 11, 2004 19:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a reminder: last time you "reviewed" an album, people got "anger" when it was released! (I still like it tho, it must be said).

Anyway, it's great to know Dave's back with a good album.

I got a question:

How would you rank it, comparing to the back catalogue? Or, at least, is it better than The World Needs a Hero, Dave's half-assed attempt at "returning to roots"?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 11, 2004 19:09     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last time i reviewed a record, it was for the new Death Angel.. hehe. Not that "anger" thing.

Where does this new one stand compared to the back catalogue. Uhm... I only listened to it twice as of this writing, so i cant really tell exactly. But it's DEFINATELY got some older Peace Sells type parts to it, yet still retaining the more melodic parts of, say, Youthanasia. It's much, MUCH better than The World Needs a Hero. That i can safely say. It's sorta like Cryptic Writings, in a way... just a little bit heavier.

Bah. Talk is cheap:
megadeth_-_blackmail_the_universe.mp3

That's the opening track.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 11, 2004 19:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh. My bad. I should have said "people got angry" instead of "people got anger".

Anyway, great to know about the new album, I love Cryptic Writings, so it's great, IMHO, if the new album can be compared to that. Kudos to MegaDave and thanks to you, Skul!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted July 11, 2004 23:12       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That song you posted is the only song i've heard from the new album but if the rest sounds like this i won't be buying it.It is better than The World Needs A Hero but it's not as good as So Far,So good and previous stuff and i was hoping it was.
So Far,So Good was the last album a bought from Megadeth because i havent cared for a thing after.I even saw Megadeth come through Detriot 3 times for that tour never knowing it was the last good album they would do.
So that means most of the old school metal bands have released an album recently and Anthrax,Meliah Rage & Voivod are the only good ones.
these ones sucked:
Metal Church-Weight of the World
Exciter-New Testament
Megadeth-
Slayer-God hates us all
Metallica-St. Anger

hate the new singer for Metal Church and Exciter but i think all of the music from these albums is very lame and unmoving.

IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted July 11, 2004 23:54     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last I heard, Megadeth is falling apart, and Ellefson sued MD + Dave. Also Dave is in Some Kind of Monster, Metallica Documentary.

I'm gonna buy this thing to help support Dave.

--------------------

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted July 12, 2004 00:51     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
Last I heard, Megadeth is falling apart, and Ellefson sued MD + Dave. Also Dave is in Some Kind of Monster, Metallica Documentary.

I'm gonna buy this thing to help support Dave.

Evidently, in Some Kind of Monster, Dave gets upset about being, as he sees it, in Metallica's shadow for the last twenty years. Kinda pathetic considering how successful Megadeth has been during that time. He's posted tons of stuff regarding the lawsuits and breakups in the last few days (it's been on Blabbermouth). It sounds like all of the typical crap that bands break up over. Hey at least Poland is on the new record. I'll buy it just because of him.

*I just listened to Blackmail the Universe (thanks Skulhed) and I like it. Poland is incredible as always. I could do without the goofy voice-over stuff though.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 12, 2004 01:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SKUL, as usual YOU FUKIN' ROCK!!!

I'll be a Megadeth fan until I'm megadead and gone. Thanks for the tune ... listening to it now, and totally lovin it. It's keeping me awake a bit longer after a 14.5 hour work day, 76 hour week... this kicks ass!!!

NICE TO HEAR MUSTAINE DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST.

BTW: I've ALWAYS thought Megadeth was superior to Metallica. They both released some sub standard tunes in their long careers but Megadeth has alway been my choice for the heavier, more talented, more original, band.

--------------------

yawn

pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted July 12, 2004 01:50     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Megadeth was/is a great band, classic songs, great albums, and some of the best guitar modern metal could hope for ( Poland, Freidman, Mustaine And the underated Jeff Young .) Rust in peace is mandatory listening , and as excited as I am to hear vinnie calaiuto play some heavy shit, (and I wouldn't be saying this if I wasn't as drunk as I am) let's face it , Dave Mustaine is an asshole. They don't call him the general for nothin'. I feel bad for Jr. , stuck with him all these years to get stabbed in the back, hire a session bassist my ass!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 12, 2004 08:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I heard (and this was from a post by JR himself) when Mustaine was putting Megadeth back together he asked JR to come back but he turned down Dave because of the new band he was in, and wanted to concentrate on that (I'm not sure if that was a smart decision considering how great the new Megadeth song sounds).
Sure Mustaine was an ass for the better part of his career... that's what a lot of people become when they're hooked on drugs, but there's no denying his talent and musical output.

NP: Blackmail The Universe(again... I'll rank this up there with any classick Megadeth release)

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 12, 2004 09:16     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I woke up with die_dead_enough in my head this morning. I guess that means it's a great song. It's supposed to be the single.

"woah I cant punch hard enough..."

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted July 12, 2004 09:47       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like this song.reminds me of older stuff.it completely changed my thoughts on this album but i'm still not sure i would pick it up.
IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 12, 2004 12:57     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with schroeder when he says that Megadeth hs always been superior to Metallica in my mind. Dave is a better guitarist than Krk and Jaymz put together for one, and Megadeth's music has been, for the most part, more complex and interesting with out being overly pretentious or pr0g.
The new album is great from what I've heard so far (kick the Chair, Die Dead Enough and Blackmail The Universe) so I'll be picking this one up the day it hits shelves.

Here's a sneak peek at the cover art as it was being painted

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 12, 2004 13:29     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's gonna be one coolass cover!
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 12, 2004 13:42     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hhmmmmmmmmmmm...the songs, the cover art.

Something's telling me Megadave is not going to disappoint us this time.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 12, 2004 14:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NUC and Skul!!!! You've made a shitty morning much better with a new tune and the cool art!!! Thanks a 1,000,000!!!

Nice to see Mustaine still had talent and knew how an album should sounds even after getting cleaned up... unlike one of his old band mates that must have had some creative part of his brain wiped while in rehab!!!

This album will definitley show the world Megadeth is above Metallica. Mustaine should have never worried abou being in th shadows... Hell, that's where it's darker & cooler!!!

--------------------

yawn

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted July 14, 2004 11:08     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What really irritates me is that Dave M. used Vinnie Colaiuta to record the drums. Colaiuta is almost my favourite drummer, he's awesome !! Played with Allan Holdsworth and Frank Zappa.
Good reason to buy the new deth record.
I think Nick Menza rejoined after the recording was done in that case.

Seems like a quality work...

--------------------

What the...?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 14, 2004 12:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, this new Megadeth really seems to be shaping up in a nice way! Fuckin'A thanks Skul for the samples!

It now looks like I may have to buy my first new Megadeth record since the release of "So Far, So Good, So What".

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted July 14, 2004 12:40     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like blackmail the universe, that's like classic megadeth from the peace sells/so far so good era. But I thought that die dead enough was weaker.

After a decade of pretty poor efforts from them I'm looking forward to this one.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted July 14, 2004 12:42     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It feels really good to hear some good ass metal, doesn't it. Thanks for sharing guys! That was a good listen and a nice suprise. Good to see Dave back at it again. Sounds like there's some attitude back into the riffs.
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted July 15, 2004 10:37     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even more news: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=24760

and :

quote:
Droogies!

What a great trip I had!

I got to see faithful Droogs at most of the airports and some of the hotels, and I have to tell you, you really made my trip so much more enjoyable.

Sometimes, amidst all of the questioning and the controversy, you just want to see a friendly face.

I believe that I saw many a friendly face. Even the journalists were friendly. How awesome was it to go two weeks talking to hard core music critics and not get slapped in the face once.

I am very happy to be home and to be with my family. I look forward to firming up my agreements with Nick Menza and Jimmy Lee Sloas about playing with Megadeth, as well as hiring a guitarist, and I am getting close to deciding that too.

I also can’t wait to see the finished cover, and the shoot the new video. Man, can it get any better than this?

I have yet to hear DDE on my local station, but I know that they are playing it, and there is something very sexy about hearing your own music on the radio. I can’t wait to hear it on either KUPD or KDKB which are both of the rock stations here in Phoenix; KUPD being the harder station.

Wish me well on the next few days of getting over jet lag and talking with new players, because we want to present the very best for you next time we come into your town to play.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 21, 2004 17:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just read it on BW&BK. If it actually happens, all I can say is, I HOPE THEY PLAY HERE!!!!

quote:
MEGADETH In Talks With ANNIHILATOR Axe Legend! [Hot Flashes - 04.07.16 14:19:47]

In an EXCLUSIVE interview with BW&BK today (July 16th), MEGADETH frontman Dave Mustaine has revealed that he has been in talks with ANNIHILATOR guitar legend Jeff Waters about him possibly joining the ranks of the newly rejuvenated thrash legends.

"I’ve been talking to one of your countrymen about playing with me and it looks pretty good," Mustaine revealed about his recent communication with Waters. "We’ve been talking quite a lot and my only fear is that he’s so good and he’s a leader of his own thing and this is an institution here, it’s a worldwide thing and, you know. I’ve already had some struggles with bringing in a hired gun that was a leader of another situation with Alan (Pitrelli). Alan’s a good guy, good player. I don’t think that he really could take going from being a leader in SAVATAGE and TSO (TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) to being, you know, second, or actually fourth, in Megadeth. I don’t think he could handle it. That’s my only fear about working with Jeff is that he’s a leader of his own thing. But, we’re talkin’ and we’re talkin’ and I’m passionate about what I want to do and it may very well happen. We’ve obviously started a friendship and I’ve known of him for years. It may just be that this is a combination that will put him on the map and give me some stability because I have a lot of friends that are Canadian and every one of them is just fucking righteous."

Jeff had this to say:

quote:
ANNIHILATOR Mainman Comments On MEGADETH "Talks" [Hot Flashes - 04.07.17 01:33:35]

ANNIHILATOR leader Jeff Waters has commented on the recently revealed news that MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine and the Canuck guitar legend are speaking about the possibilities of working together. Regarding the news that was announced earlier today at BraveWords.com, Waters says that "YES we are talking alot!"

Waters also sheds more light on his contact with Mustaine in 1989, when present Megadeth guitarist Jeff Young is fired and the band begins their search for a replacement which ends up being MARTY FRIEDMAN. It was during a North American tour with TESTAMENT that Waters had contact with Mustaine. The guitarist fills in the blanks:

"Chuck (Billy - Testament singer) stormed into my hotel room and told me Dave was on the phone. We spoke. I was in shock. Tell me YOU wouldn't remember talking to a legend! He wanted side B of 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying' learnt and then mentioned that he might want to rerecord my song 'Crystal Ann' (from 1989's Alice In Hell) on his next CD etc... Look at it this way, Mustaine is a metal legend. I am a budding legend. He rules and I rock. If it is meant to be, then it will be. But know this, all yee metal fans, WHAT AN HONOR TO EVEN SPEAK WITH A MUSICIAN OF HIS CALIBRE! I hope things work out for him and Megadeth, regardless of my involvement. Still, how could I not ponder the magic that he and I would create if we were both to sit down someday and write together. As for myself and Annihilator, well I am here: 10 studio CDs, the latest, All For You, is selling better than ALL Annihilator CDs since the mid-nineties. New video just coming out for title track. USA deal done so there will be a USA domestic release soon. Just returned from a triumphant tour with JUDAS PRIEST in Europe last month; asked to "possibly" do their world tour next year. Planning fall/spring HEADLINE touring as we speak. Not too shabby for a kid from Ottawa, Canada eh?"

Crossing fingers already.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted July 21, 2004 21:05     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As of yet, I don't like what I've heard.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan