my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Mastodon "Leviathan" Release Date! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Mastodon "Leviathan" Release Date!
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted November 10, 2004 11:30     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
What's so great about this band? I heard one of their CDs and it was okay. They sounded like a stoner band. High on Fire is better. Maybe I listened to the wrong CD, which Mastodon CD is their best?

The musicianship is less chaotic and the songs are alot more solid on Leviathan.
Corpsey, give the 13 minute tune Hearts Alive a listen if you can. One of the best guitar leads in the last 10 years. Let me know if you wanna check it out before you buy it.

Luna, it wasn't the booze! Their live set doesn't come close to the albums. It felt like 1989 all over again after their live set Monday night.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 10, 2004 11:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd love to see them live, but I don't see it happening, at least in the near future.

Anyway, I think it's funny that 'Corpse mentioned stoner, other people mentioned it as well, but still I can't see Mastodon as a stoner band.

BTW, IMHO their latest album, Leviathan, is their best, seconded by the first EP, Lifesblood.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted November 10, 2004 11:56     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree. They certainly aren't a 'stoner' band and my guess is they copped that label from touring with High On Fire and Clutch and playing some shows with the Orange/Matamp/EZ-Wider scene.
I can make you a copy of a Mastodon show I have on VCD. It's from their tour last year with Clutch.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 10, 2004 12:24     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think if you look at the concept behind Leviathan and not just the music....you have to say this is way beyond the norm for a metal band. Truly unique! Corpse, I listened to that Impious which you called "good" death metal... I couldn't make it halfway through the song. To each his own.

I can't wait man.....Slayer & Mastodon at the Tabernacle....perfect venue. Missed Slayer at this place couple years back and swore I'd never miss them again if they played here. Here's a piece on the place:

"The experience of a concert at The Tabernacle is unrivaled. This historical landmark is Atlanta's must see entertainment complex. Comparable to a great palace, the walls and ceiling are as colorful as the works of art that adorn them. Guests of The Tabernacle are first greeted by the "Preachers of Rock and Roll," an extensive collection of black and white photography taken of the most seminal musical artists of the twentieth century.

Local and regional artists have hand painted original designs in every corner of this distinctive building. Exotic fabrics, elegant antiquities and oriental rugs are contrasted with one of the south's largest collections of outsider art and sculpture. The Sanctuary is the main performance room of the Tabernacle. There are two deep balconies, both still utilizing their antique, stadium style folding chairs. The floor of The Tabernacle is sloped so whether reserved seating or standing floor concert, no one misses a beat. No matter where a person is in the room, they will always have an incredible view from less than 40 yards away."

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 10, 2004 12:31     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Mastodon open for High On Fire a few years ago. They blew HOF off the stage, but like mez says, to each his own.
I agree with the first album being better, though not by much. It's all killer stuff.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 13, 2004 17:35     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you changed your mind yet, warcorpse?
Speaking of stoner rock...anyone here like Bad Wizard? I don't, but they'll be playing in town tonight.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 14, 2004 16:35     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today I got 'Leviathan' as a gift from my wife. I've deliberately not dl'd it beforehand because I wanted to have a 'fresh' listening experience: open the package, insert the CD, open the leaflet, put headphones on and lean back.

I got to tell you that I was very positively surprised by this album; the band has taken another step forward instead of sticking to what they've done before. There are actual vocal melodies, the song structuring is (IMO) more balanced but still as full of nice surprises as before, and there's an interesting theme that the whole album is built on. Three thumbs up to Leviathan!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 14, 2004 16:55     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im still digesting Leviathan. but, Remission is one of the best metal albums of the last ten years, id say.

um, stoner? i was thinking more like *math*.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 15, 2004 16:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Read this:

LEVIATHAN

Started doing reviews for this Dutch site. Paul and AngelRat may enjoy this site. I'm the one english guy on staff.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 15, 2004 17:05     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Read this:

LEVIATHAN

Started doing reviews for this Dutch site. Paul and AngelRat may enjoy this site. I'm the one english guy on staff.

Great review for a great album.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 15, 2004 17:34     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
"yeah, fuckin 2 does not equal fuckin 1, they fuckin know it, they are sellouts"

LOL

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 15, 2004 17:45     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i highly suggest pounding back a drink or two at the bar w/ Brent of Mastodon....after meeting him, Warcorpse's math theory might gain some credence, haha.

that guys a trip.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 16, 2004 10:25     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is he the curly blond haired dude?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 16, 2004 20:11     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Is he the curly blond haired dude?

yeah. hes the typical metalhead guy in the band, for sure, haha.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 26, 2004 06:18     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
i highly suggest pounding back a drink or two at the bar w/ Brent of Mastodon....after meeting him, Warcorpse's math theory might gain some credence, haha.

that guys a trip.

Met him, and Brann, rightious mofos!

Get the fucking Lethargy Discography

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan