my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Mah Poor Friggin' Neck!! (aka Skully's Infernal Adventure)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mah Poor Friggin' Neck!! (aka Skully's Infernal Adventure)
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 05, 2004 14:36     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So yah, I went to the INFERNAL MAJESTY + DEAD JESUS + UTLAGR gig last night.... Oh my gawd. Here's the whole lowdown...

So as i expected, Stephane showed up around 7pm and we left immediatly for Quebec City. The weather was incredible, there wasnt much traffic at all on the 73, and we were both very excited at the opportunity to finally see Infernal Majesty. I for was one elated, especially after 16 years since I bought the debut album, None Shall Defy.

Anyway... the trip up there was pretty cool.... plenty of metal at full blast in the car (Possessed "Seven Churches" sounded particularly good and helped getting me even more pumped up).

We made it at Sebastien's place around 8:15. And after a quick pee-break we were gone again, all three of us, into the old part of the city, where the Kashmir is located. As soon as we got in the club, we spotted the bar and promptly went for refreshments (two Molson Dry for 6$ = cool). S.O.D.'s Speak English Or Die was playing on the P.A. and that certainly got me even more pumped up, apparently Seb too since he pretty much inhaled his first beer. Hell, me too. It was pretty fucking hot, after all (not as hot as that chick at the bar... boobies the size of my head, but i digress...)

I took a glance at the merch booth and was extremely disapointed that they didnt have the shirt i wanted so much (i wanted the None Shall Defy artwork). Fuck. The shirts they had there looked cheap and ugly anyway. They were selling the latest Infernal Majesty cd (One Who Points To Death, on Eric Galy's label, Galy Records) for 20$, but after talkin' with the merch guy for a while (and i guess he figured I was cool) he ended up selling it to me for 10$. Hehe. Awesome. My charm strikes again. (I later realized that the merch guy was actually Eric Dubreuil, the new bass player in the band... hehe.)

After what seemed like days, Utlarg finally made their way to the stage. They were cool. They kinda sounded like Dawn. Typical black metal sorta stuff. They were tight as fuck, too. Nothing that's gonna change the world but enjoyable. Then after this Dead Jesus took the stage. Musically, they sorta sucked. But i thought the vocalist was pretty funny. He looked like he was in his mid-forties (complete with that big huge bald spot on his head.... it's like, dude, shave it all off already... quit holding on) but he kicked a whole bunch of ass. He even took a bible, ripped it apart, and set some of the pages on fire and ate them. Hehe. Oh so evuhl!!! Whatever dude. I'll tell your mom!

Before Infernal Majesty came on, i realized that Sebastien was getting pretty hammered. I wouldve joined him too but since i was the driver, I gave myself a 4 beer-limit.... just enough to loosen up a little. Steph was getting sloshed too, but nowhere near as blatantly as Seb. We made our way to the front of the stage and I felt a HUGE rush of adrenalin taking over me. Finally, i'm gonna see that fucking band live!

They started the set with "None Shall Defy". HOLY SHIT!! It was so fucking loud and powerful. I actually felt some of the fillings getting loose in my mouth. The sheer power of the PA, punching me right in the ribs. I could feel my innards shaking. I guess i was too close to the stage which is why i couldnt hear Chris (the vocalist) at all, but it really didnt matter. For an entire hour, I was in my own little bubble at the front of the stage, enjoying every single second of it. So much that I barely noticed a bunch of people slam dancing right behind me (a couple of 'em tackled me from behind but I hardly felt it). They did four tracks off None Shall Defy (the title track, Night of the Living Dead, S.O.S. and Skeletons In the Closet) and a bunch of songs from the new one (including Death of Heaven). Somewhere during the set i realized Seb wasnt up front anymore (Steph was in the mosh pit, dancing). I really didnt care where they were anyway. Infernal Majesty finished their set, and i got to shake hands with all of 'em. Steve Terror was cool. So i re-connected with Steph and wondered where Seb was. We found him on a bench at the back of the club, with his head between his legs. Poor thing cant handle his alcohol. Hehe. Fucking amateur. We dragged him to the car and dropped him at his place, with Isabelle (seb's woman) asking what the hell did we do to him. "He's a wuss", i said.

My neck was already killing me, my voice was like 20 octaves lower than usual (and my voice is already deep as fuck) and my ears were ringing to all hell. But goddamn it felt good! I felt so... ALIVE!! I also felt pretty tired too. Earlier in the evening Seb offered that we stay at his house overnight but since he answered negative to quite possibly the most important question ever ("You got beer at your place?") we decided we'd just drive back to St.Georges and I'd let Steph use my couch for the night. So anyway, we left Quebec City around 1:30am and drove on the deserted 73... when suddenly.... MY FUCKING MUFFLER BROKE!!

So here we are, already deaf and exhausted, then the car starts fucking with me. It did NOT make for a pleasant drive back. The last thing i wanted to hear after the gig was something loud, and well, i did. Bah! That fucking muffler! (I'm getting it fixed tommorow... again)

So that brings me to right now. I'm sitting here typing this, with my neck being a friggin' mess. My ears are fine tho. And i've been listening to the new Infernal Majesty 3 times in a row by now. Yay. It fucking rules.

All in all, i had a GREAT time!
Next gig? The Violent Femmes, next saturday.

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 05, 2004 14:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Epic. That's the word. Skul's reviews are epic.

We don't get Skulhed reviews more often. "MY FUCKING MUFFLER BROKE!" Classic!

Shit, Violent Femmes is next saturday? Aready? And I can't go, coz i gotta work in my house...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 05, 2004 15:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
We don't get Skulhed reviews more often.

Cuz this is the first gig i went to in 18 months. hehe. the last was Black Cloud.

Yah my pipe broke up front, right at the entry of the catalyst. Fucking shit. So the gig coupled with that made my head want to just explode by the time i got home.

By the way, here's a track off the new CD. Go buy it. It rules. Sorta more death-ier than None Shall Defy was, but just as powerful.

Infernal_Majesty_-_Death_Of_Heaven

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted July 05, 2004 22:23     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was there too. It was total old school metal. If you like Slayer circa Hell Awaits you'll dig Infernal Majesty. Also the Utlagr drummer is fukcing great.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 05, 2004 23:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
I was there too.

I know, i saw you walk in with some chick. Matter of fact you were like 2 feet from me. I couldve introduced myself ("Hi, I'm Skulhed and I totally rock") but that wouldve conflicted with my beer drinkin'. So, sorry, dude.

pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted July 05, 2004 23:43     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dead Jesus's rythym guitarist/vocalist evil Glen rocks! Thank God he's out of jail!
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 05, 2004 23:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I spoke to him a little outside of the club as i was leaving. Nice guy.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 06, 2004 01:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREAT Review Skulhed!!!

I NEED a killer thrash show to come close to where I live so I can FEEL ALIVE, again!!!
Death Angel would make my year!!!

--------------------

yawn

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted July 06, 2004 09:37     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the review, skul! I wonder if IM ever made it to the States tp tour?

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 06, 2004 10:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
GREAT Review Skulhed!!!

I NEED a killer thrash show to come close to where I live so I can FEEL ALIVE, again!!!
Death Angel would make my year!!!

Schro, you stole my words!

I got a good laugh out of your muffler episode Skul.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 06, 2004 11:54     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe... well i wasnt laughin' then. Jeez... it's like how fucking ironic is that? You just got out of three+ hours of incredibly insanely LOUD metal and you get in the car and you dont even put the radio on, you just want silence for a while, and THEN this happens. I couldnt even make that shit up. It's like that pipe couldve break off anytime, anywhere, but it chose to do that NOW. Bah.

I got it welded back on this morning.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 06, 2004 15:52     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, SkulMaster, it seems that was the perfect time for something like a muffler to blow. Then, it'd just be a review of a show. Kinda like the time I took a seemingly nice canoe trip down some river in Florida and by the end of it, we had been dumped on by buckets of rain, navigated through many fallen trees, near land where the 'ol 'gators hung out, bit by horse flies and scraped up by sawgrass...priceless.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 08, 2004 11:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha... no the water-in-the-gas thing was when i went home last summer... but then i was listening to At War in the car so maybe!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 08, 2004 12:29     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great review Skul! I wanted to check Infernal Majesty out when they played here a couple of weeks back, but lack of cash and work stifled that pretty quick.

I'm not going to let that fuck over my plans to see Caniibal Corpse and The Black Dahlia Murder next week. I still have to work, but I got the cash this time.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 08, 2004 14:12     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, NV, I want a report on that show! Maybe on your website? I'm curious to hear what BDM sounds like.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 08, 2004 18:52     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Y'know, I saw the Black Dahlia Murder here when they opened for,hmmmm....who was it? Fuck, I can't remember. I guess I wasn't too impressed since I don't remember their set at all. But that show w/Cannibal Corpse blows through ABQ on July 24th, so I'll try to give a better listen.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted July 10, 2004 16:57     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw INFERNÄL MÄJESTY too. The day after the Québec show, in Roberval. It was very cool, they played 4 songs of "None Shall Defy" here too (None Shall Defy, S.O.S., Anthology of Death, Night of the Living Dead). They will come to Jonquière on October/November it will be a fuckin' great show again !!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan