my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Loudest concert (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Loudest concert
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 22, 2004 01:37     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am curious, what was your loudest concert so far? Everyone must have had some concerts that where allmost unbearable for the ears.
Mine are:

Venom: Paradiso Amsterdam 1986(?)
Motorhead: Noorderlight Tilburg 1990(?)
Metallica,Korn,Slipknot: Yesterday.

My ears hurt.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 22, 2004 04:50     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Venom: Paradiso Amsterdam 1986(?)

exact date is 10/28/1985...

funny you talk about that... the shittiest sound I heard was a couple weeks ago... Anthrax on 6/08 in Strasbourg...
man I have no idea who was behind the deck
but he sure didnt know his job... sound went up and down all throuhgout, guitars were muddy as hell, vocals clearly unbalanced... then there was this fukking larsen before the encore, I seriously thought I had my ears bleeding...

apart from that, the loudest shows that recall seeing was Manowar somewhere in 1992 or 1993... so darn loud and heavy that you could feel the ground like shaking with every drumbeat... and oh, those pounding basslines...
really!

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 22, 2004 06:22     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Motorhead: Noorderlight Tilburg 1990(?)
My ears hurt.

for sure one of my loudest concerts

And one of the last FnM gigs in Stahlwerk Köln, damn what a wall of noise

Grtz, DBC

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 22, 2004 06:40     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Motörhead in Scandinavium Göteborg 1982.
We were 3 guys hearing sirens for 2 days after that one.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 22, 2004 07:15     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
all of these were pretty harsh on the ears....

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics Tour, Shreveport, LA
Ozzy - Diary of a Madman Tour, Shreveport, LA
Clutch - Pure Rock Fury Tour, Charleston, SC
Mastodon - Tour late 2003, Savannah, GA
The Melvins, Lollapalooza '96, Dallas, TX

but the winner is Ozzy, hands down.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 22, 2004 09:16     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm.. loudest ear killing concert...

King Diamond, at Les Foufounes Electriques in Montreal, april 98. Les foufs are a relatively small club, but they cranked it like they were playing Shea Stadium! Just a big distorted treble overload. I was deaf for days.

Also, The Misfits in '98 as well, in Charlesbourg (Quebec City)... Just a huge wall of noise... couldnt tell a song from another... I only could make out Jerry's bass from that mess.

EDIT: fuck, and how could i forget High on Fire, opening for Voivod in oct.2000 at Le Kashmir. Everyone just left the stage area for the bar. Most irritating guitar sound known to mankind. It actually HURT!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 22, 2004 09:45     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Overkill / Motorhead / Slayer at the Orpheum in Boston in 1988. As soon as Overkill started playing, my left ear made a sharp "PINNNNNNNG!" sound and cut out completely. Not fun. I was deaf in that ear until halfway through the next day. I've worn earplugs to shows ever since.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 22, 2004 10:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems that Motorhead comes up almost everytime: Everything louder than anyone else??: seems to be true then...

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 22, 2004 10:15     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unsane in an outdoor tent (LAME!) at this year's SXSW...I never wear earplugs, which I know I should do. But this show was fucking annoying because it was way too loud.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 22, 2004 10:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Motorhead
Slayer
Motley Crue (1986 San Angelo Tx.)

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 22, 2004 11:22     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Buzzcocks - live in Sao Paulo, 1997.
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted June 22, 2004 12:14       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's either Metallica opening for Ozzy in 85 or Savatage & Megadeth opening for Dio but the recent PRONG show was pretty loud also.

Infectious Grooves/Suicidal Tendencies show was pretty loud too!

IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 22, 2004 12:40     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Napalm Death @ Led Slay, Sćo Paulo, Brasil, 2 months ago.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 22, 2004 13:24     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably the loudest ever for me was the Pledge of Allegiance tour in 2001 (I think that's the year). I was right up front but slightly to the left of the stage, and a wall of speakers was right in front of me. I had to hold onto the railing to keep from getting knocked back by the sound. I had never FELT soundwaves before. Oddly I didn't have any trouble hearing afterward though, probably because I left after Rammstein and didn't subject myself to the torture of SOAD and Slipknot.

The worst for hearing damage was Dream Theater earlier this year. My ears were ringing for almost a week. And I was in the balcony.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted June 22, 2004 14:07     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
Napalm Death @ Led Slay, Sćo Paulo, Brasil, 2 months ago.

You lucky bastard. Is it true that Jesse Pintado is back in the band?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 22, 2004 14:28     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeez, for me it definitly was seeing Slayer on Halloween 1986 (Reign In Blood tour) at the Moore Theatre here in Seattle. Way past the point of pain and I was towards the back of the place! I had a friend who actually temporarily lost his hearing during this show. Of course, he was the dumbass banging his head into the monitors right up front.

Second most painful volume hadda be Clutch on a suprise club show they played here last October. Great show, but damn it was loud!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted June 22, 2004 14:46     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's weird The Neverman, I saw Anthrax in Montréal this fall and the sound was just perfect...

My loudest concert would be KISS/Accept in 1983, Montréal, Lick It Up Tour...

I think my ears where actually bleeding when I left

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 22, 2004 14:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guidon:
Is it true that Jesse Pintado is back in the band?

Yes, a lot thinner and sporting a short hair! A friend of mine spoke to him quickly, and he said it was "an accident". He looks funny, tho, totally different from his former self.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted June 22, 2004 15:31     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So he sobered up. The last few shows I saw him play with ND he was drunk as hell.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 22, 2004 16:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I only said "hi" to him, but he looked totally sober. Good for him, I think.

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 22, 2004 19:26     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So this guy is taking over Max's guitar spot?

--------------------

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 22, 2004 22:30     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Megadeth opening for Alice Cooper in Tulsa in 1987. My ears rang for a week afterward. Mustain's stuff broke so Poland, Samuelson and Ellefson did a little impromptu fusion jam. Awesome...

Black Sabbath in 1992 on the Dehumanizer tour in Oakland, CA. My hearing actually went away for a short time during the show. Very strange feeling for sure.

A very casual "band" practice in '98 with a couple friends who had no concept of balancing the volume between instruments, not just cranking all the way up. Another week of ringing.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 23, 2004 11:01     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My bro saw Manowar at the Bayside Expo Center Metal Fest in Boston in the late 80's/early 90's and said that his eyes actually shook in their sockets and blurred his vision each time the bass drum was kicked.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 23, 2004 15:32     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
My bro saw Manowar at the Bayside Expo Center Metal Fest in Boston in the late 80's/early 90's and said that his eyes actually shook in their sockets and blurred his vision each time the bass drum was kicked.

Now THAT is fucking LOUD!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted June 26, 2004 01:09     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So many shows over the years and they were all too loud!
Deep Purple in '85 was scary loud as was Black Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour. Ozzy on the Diary tour in '82, ouch!
Any show in a small club is always loud even a country set by Hank III.
At my age everything is too loud!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan