my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Dark Side of the Wizard of Oz

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark Side of the Wizard of Oz
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 18, 2004 09:36     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz? What do you think?
 |  IP: Logged
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 18, 2004 09:52     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, I heard about this.

Best to do it with a bowl though.

Found this: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Balcony/8968/Wizard.html

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 18, 2004 10:14     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's very interesting...I might try that one day.

Also, tripping on shrooms while watching Carrie (the original from 1976) on tv while cranking Deathrow - Raging Steel can be very very very funny, too. (true story)

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted June 18, 2004 12:07     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried this a few years back with some friends and granted, some scenes are in synch but for the most part it seems like plain old coincidence.
Anne
VoivodFan
Member # 469

posted July 30, 2004 07:26     Profile for Anne   Email Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In case you havn't already heard about the strange cosmic synchronization that occurs when you play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in place of the original "Wizard of Oz" movie soundtrack, here's the rundown. Start your Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" CD at the precise moment the MGM lion finishes it's third and final roar and you will find some very interesting coincidences (or are they?) you decide.
You'll know you've got it right when the first chord of "Breathe" comes in at the same time "Produced by Mervyn LeRoy" is displayed on the screen.
Dorothy is teetering on the fence to the pig bin when the band is singing "balanced on the biggest wave" from the song "Breathe".
Dorothy falls into the pig bin just as the you hear the words "race towards an early grave" and the music changes at the same time.
Dorothy holds a little chick up to here face in a caring manner as you hear the band sing the words "Don't be afraid to care" from the song "Breathe"
In the beginning of the movie during the song "Breathe", the band sings "smiles you'll laugh" and you see the Lion and the Tinman in human form laughing "and tears you'll cry" shows the Scarecrow crying.
When you hear the words "when at last the work is done" from the song "Breathe", Scarecrow in human form smacks his hand with a hammer and stops working.
Mrs. Gulch AKA Wicked witch of the west appears riding here bike at the same moment you here the alarm clock bells going off at the beginning of the song "Time".
When the band sings "kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town" from the song "Time", Toto hops out of Mrs. Gultches basket and runs back to the farm.
When the band sings "waiting for someone or something to show you the way" from the song "Time", Dorothy is in her room wondering what she should do when Toto comes hopping through the window to show her the way.
When you hear the words "ticking away the moments that make up a dull day" from the song "Time", Dorothys uncle puts his hand up to his head and rolls his eyes just before he kicks back in his chair after arguing with Mrs. Gultch.
When Dorothy leaves the fortune teller to return to the farm, the lyrical content "home, home again" from the song "Breathe" is playing.
A triangle can be seen hanging from a tree and the way the fence rails run look an awful lot like the cover of "Dark Side of the Moon".
When you hear the words "Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry", the Lion and the Tin Man are smiling and the Scarecrow is crying.
Auntie Em appears and starts talking at the same moment you hear the womans voice talking in the song "On the Run".
Toto pops his head up in a window at the same time that the band sings "Waiting for someone or something to show you the way" from the song "Time".
When you hear the words "racing around, to come up behind you again" from the song "Time", professor marvel appears at Dorothy's back.
During the guitar solo in the song "Time", You see the words "Past Present and Future" on the sign of Professor Marvel.
Glinda, the good witch of the North, appears in her bubble as the band is singing "don't give me that do goody good bullshit" from the song "Money"
In the song "Us and Them" right when the word "Black" is said, they show the wicked witch and when the word "Blue"is said, they show Dorothy in her blue dress.
The Good witch of the north confronts the wicked witch of the west as the band sings "and who knows which is which" (or would that be "witch is witch"?) from the song "Us and Them".
When the Mayor of munchkin land is talking to Dorothy just before she takes off down the yellow brick road, his lips are moving as you hear the dialogue "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time" and it appears to be what he is saying to her.
The song "Brain Damage" begins at about the same time the scarecrow starts singing "If I Only Had a Brain".
After the scarecrow is let off his post and is stumbling around trying to walk the band is singing "the lunatic is on the grass" from the song "Brain Damage".
When the Munchkins are dancing after Dorothy arrives in Oz, the scene appears to be perfectly choreographed with the song "Us and Them"
When the Lollipop men hand Dorothy the lollipop , the song "us and them is playing and it's right at the beginning when they say "US......."AND THEM". Us is said when the munchkins hand it to her , "and them" is said when she takes it .
When Dorothy opens the door to the house after landing in Oz, the move switches from black and white to rich color at the same moment that you here the synchronized cash register sounds at the beginning of the song "Money".
The coolest part of the whole thing though is the tornado scene. "The Great Gig in the Sky" is the perfect song to the perfect scene. They bind together seamlessly. As glass and debree are flying and Dorothy is being blown around, the vocal screams are in perfect synchronization with the movie.
About three and a half minutes into the song "The Great Gig in the Sky", you hear a womans voice say "I never said I was frightened of Dorothy".
Right as they are showing the twister for the second time and it's well on it's way, you hear a voice in the background saying "I am not frightened of dying, anytime will do, why should I be frightened of dying, there's no reason for it, we've all got to go sometime"
At the same time you hear the words "all that you taste" from the song "Eclipse", Scarecrow squirts the oil can into the corners of Tinmans mouth.
This thing hangs in there right up to the very end when you hear an insistent heartbeat at the end of the album and Dorothy has her head against the Tin Man's chest listening for a heartbeat.
There's a ton more I probably missed, but so far, that's all I got. Coincidence? Hmmmmmm....

Special Requirements:
The CD, and "The Wizard of Oz" movie

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 30, 2004 11:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We might have to put this to the test during the voivodfan uk vacation...
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted July 31, 2004 22:28     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it would require a great deal of alcohol before I would start to believe this. So yes...by all means, let's test it!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan