my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Warner Bros artist killings

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Warner Bros artist killings
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 13, 2004 23:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thought you would enjoy reading these last couple of paragraphs regarding the big cuts being made to many of the artists on the Warner Bros lables. The Metallica sales figures are extremely interesting. Seems like they have been loosing more of their fans with each passing year, and ya can't blame Napster for that... your core fans will always put out the $$$ to support you.

Anyway, here's part of the aticle:

An interesting footnote is that everyone's favorite angry 45-year-olds, Metallica, seemingly strong-armed their way onto Warner Bros. for their next album. Like Stereolab, Metallica had been on Elektra, but chose to leave when the announcement was made that the label was being dissolved into Atlantic. The story goes that Metallica informed Bronfman and Cohen that they would not deliver the final record in their Elektra contract unless they were allowed to move seamlessly to Warner. On the surface, this seems like a sound business decision by Warner Bros., as Metallica has been a pretty sure bet financially for the last 15 years or so, but consider that Metallica's sales peaked with 1991's self-titled release, and have been on a steady decline ever since. Their most recent disaster, St. Anger, for example, has sold fewer copies than any album they've released since 1986.

As the cuts slowly leak out, here's a partial selection of the massive artist roster that, as members of the rather extended Warner family, could potentially find themselves homeless: Green Day, The Stratford 4, Dream Theater, Depeche Mode, New Order, Jewel, Morcheeba, Deftones, Built to Spill, The Donnas, Barenaked Ladies, Junior Senior, The Stills, Mandy Moore. Mandy Moore, people! That girl won't survive on the street!

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 14, 2004 00:10     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i read about warner's plans a couple of weeks ago. without wanting to ruffle any feathers here i think it's fair to say that metal audiences in general have declined since the 90s and likewise so have metallica's. therefore metallica's number of core fans may not have dwindled significantly, i think the decline is across the board for metal bands. voivod is another example of a band that had more fans when metal was more commerically saleable than it is now. right now bands like velvet revolver are getting the big shove into the mainstream - i guess the industry players are hoping that rehashed psychedelic rock will have staying power in terms of sales (although i think retro-rock is a ridiculous way to go, chris cornell's latest effort being an example of how unlikely this is to succeed). just my two cents.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 14, 2004 07:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point NIA.

I'd bet Inside Out scoops up on Dream Theater. That would be the perfect lable for them, since they have all the other people that have played in Dream Theater on their lable. Inside Out is prog metal heaven. There are so many better lables for a lot of the heavy bands to be on, that don't fall into the WB's new idea.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 14, 2004 08:31     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG!!!! JEWEL IS GONNA BE KICKED OUT! LET'S START A PETITION! WE LOVE YOU JEWEL! YOUR LYRICS ARE SO... INTERESTING!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 14, 2004 10:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, JEWEL is interesting, who cares about fukkin' lyrics, or, even better, music?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 15, 2004 21:40     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
As the cuts slowly leak out, here's a partial selection of the massive artist roster that, as members of the rather extended Warner family, could potentially find themselves homeless: Built to Spill!

I don't know Doug Martsch personally, but one of my best friends used to play with him in Doug's old band "Treepeople"...I really think Doug's music is incredible, especially with "Treepeople", but also with "Built to Spill"...it figures that "corporate-mania" once again will rear up its ugly head!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 15, 2004 21:51     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard Dream Theater is renegotiating their contract though. They have one more final album with Electra, read it on a John Petrucci interview somewhere.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 15, 2004 23:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of DT, while I was killing time on the net a little while ago, I was checking their site to see if there was any info on the WB thing, but ended up going to their official bootleg site and buying all of the releases they have put out!!! I'm impulsive, obsessive like that, but they have put out some totally incredible discs, with live shows, demos, outtakes, etc and I couldn't pass them up. Even some early material with Charlie on vocals!!!

DT is definitley a fan friendly band, and they give back a lot to those who support them.

--------------------

yawn

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted June 16, 2004 00:19     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got the Master of Puppets cover, its pretty damn good. Only bad thing are when Jordan takes over lead.

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 16, 2004 04:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Machine:
Tex Avery

Now that man was a damn genius.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 16, 2004 06:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Machine:
Who gives a shit

All the good WB cartoonists are dead

Schlesinger, Freleng, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones

Makes ya think if they killed them too... a falling safe, running into a fake tunnel, crushed by a piano, laughing to death, erase them, there's so many ways to kill a man and make it look like an accident.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 16, 2004 11:01     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
TEX AVERY - Now that man was a damn genius.

Agreed, no one could/can top him.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 16, 2004 11:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you seen the limited edition 5 dvd tin box set of his complete works? I'm trying to get hold of it but they only released it in France. I'm planning a trip across the pond just to get it. Got most of it on video anyway. Watching that shit while out of it is lung-splittingly bad for my health!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 16, 2004 12:15     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, I never did, but it must surely be a blast.

There's a complete list of Tex's home videos at texavery.com:

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 16, 2004 12:31     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that's a cool site. Killer for sound samples.
This is what I want for xmas:

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted June 17, 2004 02:15     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey harry I could get this and bring it to you on july 10th...

there are 2 versions, 4 or 5 DVDs.
but beware, people are complaining the cartoons have been censored, check out the comments here:
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DF12E/qid=1087452327/sr=2-1 /ref=sr_2_11_1/171-1209926-3040240

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 21, 2004 07:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I may well take you up on that Neutrino. I'll have to see if I can afford it first. I've heard about the censoring complaints, but it's something I'd like to have in my collection anyway. Definately have to be the 5 DVD set. I'll let you know if I can spare the cash!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan