my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » QUORTHON Dead At 39

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QUORTHON Dead At 39
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 08, 2004 17:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy fuck! This caught me by surprise!

quote:
From blabbermouth:
BATHORY Mastermind QUORTHON Dead At 39 - June 8, 2004

BATHORY mastermind Tomas "Quorthon" Forsberg was found dead in his apartment in Stockholm, Sweden on Monday, June 7, informed sources have confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET. The 39-year-old son of Black Mark Records owner Börje Forsberg, long considered one of black metal's founders, died of an apparent heart failure. More information as it becomes available.

Later Bathory was not much to my taste, but the guy certainly left his mark on the metal history with great albums (especially his early ones). May he rest in peace.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 08, 2004 18:29     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not very familiar with Bathory (I only have some demos and have not heard anything by him for years), but his mark on Black Metal and Metal in general cannot be ignored. Sad news.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 08, 2004 18:30     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's unfortunate. Not very on in years either. I've never heard Bathory, but have read bits and pieces about them in the Sound of the Beast book. There's also a picture of him in the book. Well, bro...RIP

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 08, 2004 18:53     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll believe it when I see it on the Bathory web site or Black Mark web site and not before. There's been so much misinformation and outright lies about Quorthon over the years that it's virtually impossible to separate the truth from lies, but I'll go with whatever gets published on HIS web site, not Blabbermouth, which has been known to be wrong before.

And I do sincerely hope it's wrong. I love Bathory.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 08, 2004 18:58     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm absolutely devastated. That's all i,m going to say.
Randolph Mantooth
VoivodFan
Member # 168

posted June 09, 2004 08:12     Profile for Randolph Mantooth   Email Randolph Mantooth     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This was added to Blabbermouth -

Legendary video director and founding BATHORY member Jonas Åkerlund has spoken to Sweden's Expressen newspaper about the passing of BATHORY mastermind Thomas "Quorthon" Forsberg from what is believed to be heart failure. Forsberg, who was known to have been battling heart problems for years, was found dead in his apartment in Stockholm, Sweden on Monday (June 7). He was 39 years old.

"It's so sad. He had much more to offer," Åkerlund said.

Jonas, who formed the band with Forsberg in the early '80s, went on to have a successful video-directing career, having worked with the likes of METALLICA, PRODIGY, MADONNA and U2.

"[BATHORY came onto the scene] extremely early," Åkerlund said. "People like Marilyn Manson, Billy Corgan and the members of METALLICA have all come up to me and have told me that they listened to BATHORY."

According to Åkerlund, it was Thomas Forsberg's creativity that made the band such an influence on so many younger metal acts.

"[Quorthon] had a high cult status," Jonas said. "He wasn't interested in attention, he just wanted to play his music."

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 09, 2004 10:23     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I read it this morning. As well as Megan, I was sincerely hoping this was another rumour, but it's unlikely, apparently. How disastrous.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 09, 2004 10:25     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted June 09, 2004 10:53     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very sad, I was a huge fan of the early work of Bathory (in particular Under the sign... and Blod fire death).

Quorthon showed pure genius in his music.
Now He has become a legend, may He rest in peace.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted June 09, 2004 12:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, this is really bad news. I loved all Bathory stuff up 'til 'Twilight Of The Gods'. This is a shock for the Metal community. May Quorthon rest in peace.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 09, 2004 12:47     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chuck Schuldiner, Paul Ballof...and now Quorthon. Why is it that so many musicians die young while bastards last so long??
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted June 09, 2004 13:31     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
There will never be another metal revolution like the one during the '80s

INDEED, totally agree!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 09, 2004 14:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
There will never be another metal revolution like the one during the '80s. Thank You Quorthon.

I second it.

--------------------

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 09, 2004 17:31     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's still no news on Bathory's official page. Until I see it there I really don't want to believe that one of black metal's pioneers has gone.

Gutted if it's true though...

They should play Blood Fire Death on every metal radio station as a tribute to him.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 09, 2004 19:30     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I let the bodies lie in shame
I let mighty earth drink their blood
I turn my face to eternal sky
And praise my elders' God
Equimanthorn hear my Hail
You're the mighty four winds night and day
Steel in every warrior's heart and sword
The brave and wise in flesh and soul"

Hail Quorthon!!! \,,/ \,,/

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 10, 2004 09:39     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wanted to say that it's now been acknoledged/ confirmed by the official website.
http://www.bathory.se

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 10, 2004 11:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 10, 2004 11:39     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was really hoping this was going to turn out to be false. The same bit is up on the Black Mark site as well.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 10, 2004 11:42     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 10, 2004 16:08     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, saw that today as well...Now I really am gutted.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted June 11, 2004 11:23     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was digging around online for some old interviews with Quorthon yesterday, and I found a Metal-Rules interview from 2001 in which Quorthon said the following:

quote:
I have been doing everything a guy into the rock bag ever dreamed of doing. I have done TV, radio and press. I have signed tens of thousands of autographs. I have fucked hundreds of girls in limousines and 747's. I have had the pleasure of recording tons of my own music. I have been involved in 17 releases up to date. I have traveled to more than 20 countries. I have made so much money. I haven't had to take a real job for 12 years. I have had a million laughs and I have privately corresponded with many hundreds of very special and wonderful fans for almost two decades. And when I'm dead and cremated the music of BATHORY and the love of the BATHORY HORDES will still top it all. The BATHORY fans are the best fans that ever existed. That is why "DESTROYER OF WORLDS" is dedicated to the fans.

If that's not the most fitting epitaph anybody could have written, I don't know what is.

--------------------

tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted June 11, 2004 19:36     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
man, this sucks. My question is why is he dead and Scott Weiland is still alive?

Life is cruel and unfair sometimes.

R.I.P.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 12, 2004 17:55     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
I have been doing everything a guy into the rock bag ever dreamed of doing. I have done TV, radio and press. I have signed tens of thousands of autographs. I have fucked hundreds of girls in limousines and 747's. I have had the pleasure of recording tons of my own music. I have been involved in 17 releases up to date. I have traveled to more than 20 countries. I have made so much money. I haven't had to take a real job for 12 years. I have had a million laughs and I have privately corresponded with many hundreds of very special and wonderful fans for almost two decades. And when I'm dead and cremated the music of BATHORY and the love of the BATHORY HORDES will still top it all. The BATHORY fans are the best fans that ever existed. That is why "DESTROYER OF WORLDS" is dedicated to the fans.

Comforting to see he died a happy man after all.

--------------------

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 14, 2004 05:19     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
unholy shit...
just reading the news this morning...
I feel too sad for words now...
RIP Quorthon and thanks for the music...
the first 4 Bathory records are classics to me...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan