my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Diversions: The Revenge (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Diversions: The Revenge
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 22, 2004 05:45     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Theeeey're Baaaaack

...and so am I.

Yes, and I am also sitting here listening to the new Skinny Puppy, and just had to share the wealth.

Dig your teeth into this one, kids:
Skinny Puppy - EmpTe

Due in stores May 24th, 2004.

It sure is nice to see these guys back in action, and apparently really enjoying the shit out of what they're doing again. Words cannot describe how fucking KILLER this album is. I don't see how any Puppy fan could possibly be disappointed here, and I also see them winning over a multitude of new fans with this album.

For more info on the new album, and another track: (streaming)
http://spv.de/eng/skinnypuppy/default.html

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 22, 2004 09:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard the album the other night. Very cool. Supposedly they'll be doing a cross Canada tour, I think the first one since 1992.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 22, 2004 17:42     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I figured you'd heard it by now, Hex. I'm enjoying it more with each listen. The production is awesome.

--------------------

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted May 22, 2004 19:45     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An old friend of mine is playing gtr/bass for them.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 22, 2004 20:50     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
someone.. pass out the "X" and glo-sticks !
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 23, 2004 01:47     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thankx for the the track, Tangento.

I got into SP back when I started listening to KMFDM and Pigface and Nitzer Ebb and Ministry and RevCo and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult and stuff like that around '92. SP stood out above all of the aforementioned and it sucked when they split and Dwayne died.

RIP Dwayne R Goettel

--------------------

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted May 23, 2004 11:13     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah, Great! A comeback from these pioneer.
Dig'em since their 1985's Bites album (still my fave). Seeing them live in 1986 (during Bites or Mind: tour?) in an ancient church transform into a concert hall (L'Anglicane in Levis) that was surely the most bizzare & intense thing I ever saw and still is!

quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
An old friend of mine is playing gtr/bass for them.

Who's the lucky guy?

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...ą součre c'est Voļvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 24, 2004 11:26     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Did they quit their jobs delivering for FTD?

Ha ha! Y'know, I used to deliver flowers for FOUR YEARS! I loved that job, too bad I told the boss to fuck off in my out loud voice...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 25, 2004 00:17     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Did they quit their jobs delivering for FTD?

You know, I would actually pay a good chunk of change to have THOSE TWO show up at someone's house, delivering flowers, looking LIKE THAT. At LEAST Fitee Buck$.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 25, 2004 00:21     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I might as well throw this one up here, too:

This is not very typical of the shit I usually post, but it is on the site as the 'pick of the month' - simply because I could not stop listening to it for like 2 weeks straight.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Kraken

This thing is really odd. It has burned a hole in my brain that can only be filled by listening to it again. (& again & again...) I figure maybe at least a few of you guys & gals will dig it.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 25, 2004 10:34     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the Squirrel Nut Zippers rule! (but don't you say that to Mez, okay? Don't say I didn't warn you! ).

If you like this one, you should try their "Christmas Caravan" album, it's a great pick, lots of standard Xmas songs played in their own style.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 25, 2004 10:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Y'know, MISS Hypergrrroooaaarrrllll loves the Squirrel Nut Zippers. I myself have had a hard time getting into them.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 25, 2004 11:31     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Tangento, the link is not working?

Anyway, the reason I like SNZ is because they're not your usual new-swing band, they have much more to offer than just recycled jazz, they have identity, which is always a good thing to notice in a band.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted May 25, 2004 11:47     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The link's working for me, Slaytanic. Well, kind of. Whopping download speed of about 2.2kbps! (and I'm at work, so this is on a dsl connection....sheesh)

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 25, 2004 12:23     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento, have you heard the 'Pizzicato Five'?
In my mind they and the SNZ occupy a similar space - maybe just because of the female vocals over the music.
Maybe also because they both use older musical idioms with a lot of humour?

If I also had a link for ANYTHING by the "ukelele orch. of Great Britain", I'd point you at that, but I don't...
Their version of "Miss Dynamite" is both hilarious and impressive.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 25, 2004 13:40     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumĖggs:
(...)have you heard the 'Pizzicato Five'?
In my mind they and the SNZ occupy a similar space - maybe just because of the female vocals over the music.
Maybe also because they both use older musical idioms with a lot of humour?

I know the question was directed at Tangento ( ), but Pizzicato Five seems to have more of a "pop" feel/approach, while SNZ is more orthodox on their "reeeal oldies" influence. Anyway, they're both great bands, worth checking out!

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 25, 2004 13:46     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know why I feel compelled to mention this album in this topic, other than I thought Tang and perhaps Slay might dig it, but I just bought the new Vernon Reid solo album and it kicks ass. It's definitely on the jazz side of rock, but Reid smokes on this album. I love it after two plays through. You might have to be a guitar player to love, but maybe not. The CD is called Known Unknown. Check it out!
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 25, 2004 14:18     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
[QB] but Pizzicato Five seems to have more of a "pop" feel/approach, while SNZ is more orthodox on their "reeeal oldies" influence. QB]

Yeah, you're right & thanks for clearing uup my mess!
I've remembered the reason why they sit together in my mind, I heard them both for the first time on the same soundtrack. Along with my introduction to Nick Drake. What an album that was!

I loved Living Colour but have heard nothing of any of them since they split.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 25, 2004 16:52     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't get this damned song out of my head. Which is a good thing. Thanks, Tangento!

SP are, and have been, on my list of bands to sample for a while, and I think I'll get around to buying something of theirs at last. After exams, maybe...

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted May 25, 2004 17:43     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and how about some really weird s**t

Secret Chiefs 3 - The 3(Afghan Song)

From their new album that came out today

Book of Horizons

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 25, 2004 18:01     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Eggs, in case you hadn't heard, Living Colour reunited a while back and put out a new studio album late last year called Collideoscope. As with other LC releases for me, it's different than their last, but great.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 25, 2004 19:10     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
If you like this one, you should try their "Christmas Caravan" album, it's a great pick, lots of standard Xmas songs played in their own style.

I shall check that out, thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Y'know, MISS Hypergrrroooaaarrrllll loves the Squirrel Nut Zippers. I myself have had a hard time getting into them.

I'm not what you'd call a huge fan, but this particular song is just really fucking cool. I'm hoping the rest of the album sounds similar.

quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
The link's working for me, Slaytanic. Well, kind of. Whopping download speed of about 2.2kbps! (and I'm at work, so this is on a dsl connection....sheesh)

I just checked it on our cable modem, and got 86 kbps. WTF?

quote:
Originally posted by portuga:
...and how about some really weird s**t

Secret Chiefs 3 - The 3(Afghan Song)

From their new album that came out today

Book of Horizons

I got this album last week, and it is fucking AWESOME. Best SC3 yet, and the best shit Trey's done other than Bungle, IMO. Plenty of surfy/ spacey/ thrashy/ Morricone-esque/ middle-Eastern-flavored eclecticism here; highly recommended to all you Mr. B freaks.

Anyway, I will definitely be checking out the Vernon Reid (awesome guitarist) and the Pizzicato Five. Thanks for the recommendations.

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted May 25, 2004 20:13     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
I just checked it on our cable modem, and got 86 kbps. WTF?

Looks like temporary technical difficulties, I guess. It's going now at about 60+kbps. And it's done...

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 25, 2004 20:47     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Supposedly they'll be doing a cross Canada tour, I think the first one since 1992.

Yeah, I was fortunate enough to see them on this very tour. To be quite honest though, I really went to see Skinny Puppy because of their opener: GODFLESH!

It twas an awesome show indeed! (I saw them in Seattle btw)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted May 25, 2004 22:53     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They're in Seattle June 12 at the Showbox, btw. Yes I will be there.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan