my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jandek

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jandek
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 04, 2004 12:03     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone knows Jandek? He's a reclusive singer/songwriter from Texas who released 35 albums (!) and is said to make unlistenable music.

Jandek

|  IP: Logged
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 04, 2004 12:24     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unless I can find a link to a download, at this point I guess the rumor is true.'

His music is unlistenalble.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 05, 2004 08:30     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, I tried to find mp3's of Jandek and didn't find any. I'd really love to hear some of his "music".

It seems that you can order discs from his "company": they send you huge quantities for a ridiculous price (check the link, it's quite something!).

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 12, 2004 08:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Audio samples are HERE!

And check out some of the other stuff, especially Y. Bhekhirst, this is unbelievable!

Lately, I've been obsessed with what is called "outsider music", music that is so bad it's good. I'd like to know what my weird-music-fans friend (Mez, schroeder and Tangento) think of this. It's like a weird fascination about music so horrible that you just wonder, "how come they recorded that?", yet feel impressed by it, and growing to (sort of) like it.

Tangento, you NEED to have an outsider music section in your site!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 25, 2004 06:49     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I haven't checked this site in a while and I find some of you discussing one of my musical passions.

Thanks very much for that great link.

Most of these songs are new to me - though some sound a little knowing, which does kind of destroy the point.

I have my own favourites, the ones that spring to mind being:

Dokaka (Jap. acapella artist. Stunning)
Wesley Willis (A marvel, and possibly my favourite.)
Shooby Taylor ('scat' singer)
Eilart Pilarm (Norwegian Elvis impersonator)
and, Daniel Johnston.

They are all well worth checking out, and most are represented on the superb
"Songs in the Key of Z." compilation that came out about 3 years ago. Well worth finding.

Incidentally, I did do a "Wesley Willis" flash anim for his song "They threw me out of Church.", which I will upload to anyone who cares to see it?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 25, 2004 10:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please share, Mr. Eggs! Everyone needs a little (!) Wesley Willis from time to time!

Glad you mentionned Daniel Johnston, whose work is superb. And Shooby gets me ROTFL evertime I hear it.

BTW, the Songs in the Key of Z book has a good website that explains very well what is outsider music. A must read!

ROCK OVER LONDON! ROCK OVER CHICAGO!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 25, 2004 14:10     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mal,
http://www.astm42.dsl.pipex.com/

That's the index for my webpage. Crude, I know, but I learned Flash first and I've yet to learn Dreamweaver...

On that page you should find the link at the bottom. THe anim is about 1meg in size, and you can either right click/save it or wait for it to load.

Go easy on me, it was the first thing I ever did.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 25, 2004 17:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm usually pretty open minded to music but the Jandek stuff that I just heard is pure crap, and very unlistenable. It sounds like what you hear when you give a roomfull of 3rd graders all different instruments for the first time in their lives and tell them to play something. The lyrics and singing are on the same level also.

I usually need some kind of a hook, groove, or just damn good playing to get me to like something, and that had NOTHING. Experimental is one thing (Zappa, Mr Bungle, etc...)talentless shit is another.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan