my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » DEATH & TAXES new masterpiece

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DEATH & TAXES new masterpiece
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 03, 2004 10:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OKAY, since Vince is too fuckin' humble to brag about this new Death & Taxes "The Alaska 12 Expeditions"... I'll do it for him.

This cd is a brilliant masterpiece and one that will without a doubt be in my top 5 releases for 2004. The first 2 D&T cds were more experimental and some tunes are a bit to 'far out' to listen to all the time, although I like them very much, I have to be in the right mood for taking a musical journey like the ones offered on the first 2 releases.

The Alaska 12 Expeditions displays a diverse array of well crafted songs that not only challenges the listener but grabs you by the ears and screams "LISTEN TO THIS". Great packaging, incredible lyrics, great vocals, and musicianship that would stand up to anything released past, present, and future... this cd is timeless.

The opening 2 tracks 'introduction s.f.t.g.'and 'the war against mental atrophy' are obvious choices for starting the cd which is dedicated to the late D&T bassist extordinaire Thomas Patrick Shannon some soft spoken words and a bass instrument that relaxes your mind and puts you at ease...only to be brutally awaken by track 3 'misunderstanding a little less completely' The first thing I noticed is how much the singing has improved on this cd and this track will 'knock you the fuck out'. A musical assault that hits you from every angle. Weaving in and out, dancing and taunting and then beating you to a bloody pulp.

Influences on this disc are all over the place and they blend their idols into a sound of their own.

Track 4 'revolver' lets you sit back, recover and just plain chill. The words 'beautiful' 'ease' 'calming' would all be understatement for this. It remond me of how King Crimson changes pace on the THRAK album with the song 'Walking On Air'. I LOVE THIS TRACK, incredible words, and the help of Matt Brown's voice is the icing on the cake... he nails this one.

Back into the ring to be smacked around by 'the suffer ring'. With a similar musical pattern to track 3 this piece takes you to different places through out the epic. Just when you think you can catch your breath, BAM, they hit you again...slowly building to a climax, dropping and back up again!!!

'Snail' is a psychotic little short instrumental of bass and snare that set you up for 'death: theory' which gets you grooving from the first few notes of the harmonica. With many musical guest splattering this track with smooth smokey grooves, this one's like an old frend you haven't heard from in a long time and one you don't want to leave.

'it is now becoming fantastic' as another D&T masterpiece, thats moves all over the place...it just FUCKIN' GREAT. Check your pulse if your body's not groovin to this tune... you might be dead. Wth bass and drum that cuts a groove as deep as the Grand Canyon, vocals that are mellow, powerful, aggressive, guitars that rip & shred, cut you deep, lyrics that sear your brain and make you want to learn the words to sing along. What wouldn't you like about this song?

Track 9 'famous strangeness' is a trippy, heavy, ditty with guest lyricist/vocalist John Stack who adds his own style to D&T. Vince lays down some chuncky, funky riffs and some leads that tear your flesh, all the while Dean McCall is drummin' like a man possessed in his own 'land of grooooove'. DAMN BOYZ!!!!

'Terrifying Anticipation Of The Unspeakable' beging the ends of the journey, and beging like AC/DC's Hells Bells. But these cats are way to talented to go down that 4 chord highway... This feels like an improv with the guys just feelin' it out and creating a monster. I'm reminded of some live King Crimson improvs that take on a form all their own, and when it's done all you can say is WOW!!!

LET THERE BE LIGHT leaves you like you started... Vince picks out a nice passage to... take a deep breath and let it out, and relax again!!! The journey is over.

I never write reviews like this but after 2 listens to The Alsaka 12 Expeditions this was the least I could do for what this music has done and will do for me. Vince and Dean, Thomas Shannon would be proud of this work of art.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 03, 2004 13:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I concur wholeheartedly. Very good review Schro. After several listens my favorites are Suffer Ring(fantastic opening riff)and Death:Theory for its jazz skronking weirdness. I think a lot of people on this forum should check this album out!(Especially if you're a Crimson fan)
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted May 03, 2004 14:17     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder wrote it all above.

Track 4, Revolver, became my favorite.
And as "Mezcalhead" says, check it out!

D&T

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 03, 2004 14:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnkiZ:
Schroeder wrote it all above.

Track 4, Revolver, became my favorite.
And as "Mezcalhead" says, check it out!

D&T

REVOLVER is a true thing of beauty... if it were to take form people would stare at it in disbelief. great job Vince.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan