my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The David Lynch Appreciation (or anti-appreciation) Thread (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The David Lynch Appreciation (or anti-appreciation) Thread
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 30, 2004 21:36     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Are there people here who are also infatuated with 'David Lynch movies' like I am?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 01, 2004 06:58     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I anti-appreciate him.
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 01, 2004 07:20     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Watch "Crumb"

Its a pretty interesting documentary by him. I thought it was pretty good/weird.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 03, 2004 08:14     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Count me as a fan!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 03, 2004 12:01     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charon:
Watch "Crumb"

I thought this was by Terry Zwigoffff?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 03, 2004 17:07     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
I thought this was by Terry Zwigoffff?

Accorcing to an article I just read David Lynch "presented" the film so if you look for a rental or DVD he will be credited...which is why I picked it up in the first place...although the other guy was the one who did the documentary. I suppose David Lynch just decided to release it as a movie.

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted May 03, 2004 20:13     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
David Lynch is a genius. I love his work.
Especially "Twin Peaks" , "Mullholland Drive" and "The Elephant Man"

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted May 03, 2004 20:20     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
"DON'T YOU FUCKING LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Okay, I remember a song that some band wrote based on Blue Velvet and to the best of my recollection went something like this.....who the fuck was it?!?!

The song starts out with "Let's fuck!!!" then".....Don't you fucking look at me, pinch her nipples, make her scream, baby wants to fuck...."

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 03, 2004 20:53     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only one I can think of is Mr. Bungle's 'My Ass is on Fire' "Don't... you FUCKIN LOOK AT ME!!" - from the first album. (which has numerous Lynch references/ samples, esp. from 'Blue Velvet')

...but further investigation reveals that Pigface used the line: "Let's fuck! I'll fuck anything that moves! " in the song 'Asphole (sick/asp/fuck remix)'. If that ain't it, try going HERE

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 03, 2004 21:56     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anthrax. They did a tune called 'Now it's Dark', with the lyric "Now it's dark and I can see - don't you fuckin' look at me" chugga chugga chugga.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 04, 2004 08:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW, Anthrax are big Lynch fans; don't they have a song about Twin Peaks called Black Lodge?
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 04, 2004 13:05     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lynch is one talented filmmmaker. One can't go wrong with movies such as "Eraserhead", "The Elephant Man". "Blue Velvet", "Lost Highway", "Straight Story" and "Mulholland Drive".

The ones I don't like much are "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" (worked great as a TV series and failed miserably as a feature film) and "Wild at Heart" (perhaps I should watch it again...).

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted May 04, 2004 17:37     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eraserhead. I had nightmares for days/weeks/months/years after watching that. It isn't scary or anything, but does it ever get into yer subconscious.

Ugh...I'm getting the creeps just thinking about it.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 04, 2004 22:37     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I had nightmares for days/weeks/months/years after watching that.

On "Mulholland Drive", there's that part about the two at a diner, as one describes a dream he's had about someone in the back of that very restaurant, waiting to kill him.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's nothing really scary about that particular scene, it's just about the suspense that builds up when they both decide to check it out, as if to prove to themselves: "there's nothing to be afraid of, it was only a dream."

I love David Lynch's directing style!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 04, 2004 23:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I though Mullholland Drive was the stupidest waste of film ever. Either that or I'm just plain stupid and couldn't for the life of me figure out what the fuck was going on, what it was about, what it meant. It seemed Lycnch just puts things in movies that have nothing to do with nothing, just to make you sit there and think what it means, and then you feel dumb for not understanding it.

I enjoy a lot of his other flix. It's one thing to be weird, it's another to be pointless and stupid, and Lynch walks the fine line between the two.

I posted something about Mullholland Drive a long time ago in a movie thread, and no one could explain the movie to me or tell me why things happened, etc...

I liked Eraserhead, Wild At Heart, The Elephant Man,& Blue Velvet. All strange and twisted but at least you could follow a plot and know what the hell is happening. Etertain me, don't make me think I'm an idiot, or that I just wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life watching a filmed I kept hoping would make sense in the end.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 05, 2004 08:27     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personaly, I think there is nothing to get, simply because MulDrive (and a lot of Lynch pieces) is conceived like a dream. You really have to watch it as if you were dreaming, then analyse it as if you were analysing a dream, by doing free associations.

And about the entertainment factor, Lynch once said that the fun with his films is for the people, they watch it and discuss about it and try to make sense of it. And the other fun thing is that everyone has diffrent interpretations of it, which is quite unique.

Basically, just don't think too hard, let the "unheimlichkeit" (the Uncanny) atmosphere of the film hit you, and have fun with it.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 05, 2004 10:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION.
It makes sense, now... kind of

--------------------

yawn

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 05, 2004 10:28     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
David Lynch turned down George Lucas' offer to direct 'Return of the Jedi'. For real. From www.lynchnet.com: "Visionary David Lynch's massive epic based on the biggest selling sci-fi novel of all time, Frank Herbert's Dune, features some of the most spectacular sets ever built and special effects by triple-Oscar winner Carlo Rambaldi (E.T.). Lynch turned down an offer to direct Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi to helm this mammoth $40 million project, one of the biggest production budgets at the time."

Now THAT'S one Lynch film I'd actually like to see. Severed Ewok ears, Jabba huffing nitrous and tossing Leia's salad, all of Han Solo's dialogue played backward...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 05, 2004 10:57     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Lynch movies. Mainly because I don't get it! It's the visual equivalent of listening to Confessor!
I like to laugh at my lack of comprehension.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 05, 2004 11:15     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to sit and try to figure out what each part of Twin Peaks meant untill I had a headache. I would have to re-analyze my interpretations over an over because I kept going in circles.

I think I finally have a grip on the situation.
I found it was easier to watch them and sit back and look at them as a whole story instead of trying to figure every little thing out. Weird things happen in life that never get explained so why can't a movie contain the same types of things...just for weirdness sake?...and alot of it is a visionary play on the senses, I think. I don't think the movies should be all that understood any more than understanding why people die like that in the first place...so even though they have many unrealistic parts, I see them as very realistic movies and I think they reflect alot of quite "normal" emotions and responses. They are weird...but no weirder than life.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 05, 2004 11:30     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I though Mullholland Drive was the stupidest waste of film ever. Either that or I'm just plain stupid and couldn't for the life of me figure out what the fuck was going on, what it was about, what it meant. .

You're not stupid. But I am. I liked the hot women in that movie! That's about all I recall of that stupidest waste of film ever.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 05, 2004 13:14     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Personaly, I think there is nothing to get, simply because MulDrive (and a lot of Lynch pieces) is conceived like a dream. You really have to watch it as if you were dreaming, then analyse it as if you were analysing a dream, by doing free associations.

That's also my take on his films...

quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
I liked the hot women in that movie!

Hottest girl/girl sex scene in a mainstream film ever.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 05, 2004 23:05     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
Okay, I remember a song that some band wrote based on Blue Velvet and to the best of my recollection went something like this.....who the fuck was it?!?!

The song starts out with "Let's fuck!!!" then".....Don't you fucking look at me, pinch her nipples, make her scream, baby wants to fuck...."

hahahaa! yes indeed you are correct sis! I have it on tape from the old Underground Connection radio show. I can't remember off hand who it is, but I will dig it up tomorrow and give it a listen.

Btw. I sure dig Lynch's Elephant Man.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 05, 2004 23:10     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:

ok, thanx to Tangento's link I recognised the band "Spit". They are the group who did the song you are refering to sistah.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 05, 2004 23:17     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:

Now THAT'S one Lynch film I'd actually like to see. Severed Ewok ears, Jabba huffing nitrous and tossing Leia's salad, all of Han Solo's dialogue played backward...

Hell yeah!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan