my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 100 Greatest Rock Bassists (guess who's missing?)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 100 Greatest Rock Bassists (guess who's missing?)
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 22, 2004 15:37     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bassguitar.html

I've already left a few comments there. Join the fun! Some of the best are definitely on the list, (lots of the great 'Proggers') but there some glaring mistakes & oversights. Other than the obvious, they have Trevor Dunn of Mr Bungle at 94. What's worse, he is like 20 positions BELOW the guy from The Clash. BOLLOCKS TO THAT!! They actually DO update this thing, so let's 'inspire' a few changes there.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 22, 2004 18:54     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phil Lynott is there.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 22, 2004 19:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
John Wetton is a glaring oversight. Though I see you already mentioned that in the comments section there Tangento. Heh.

Lemmy at 95!?!?! WFT?!

And no fuckin' Pierre St. Jean?!

They could drop Paul Barker, Duff McKagen, Cliff Williams, Paul Simonon, and Eerie Von off there to make some room for some bassists who do more than just 'play-along' with the rest of the band. I saw an interview with Eerie Von once where he stated that he didn't even practice outside of band sessions.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Radman
VoivodFan
Member # 375

posted April 22, 2004 20:46     Profile for Radman   Email Radman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not surprised that Blacky's missing.Unfortunately the majority of his time w/ Voi Vod went unoticed by 98% of North America in the late 80's. Sorry dude,if you're reading.You DO rocketh,though!

Some names that surprised me there:
Cliff Williams (WTF?)
Eerie Von

I mean,I love old AC/DC and Danzig,but not for their explosive bass lines.

Why the fuck is Cliff Burton only 21?That is gay.
People should hear his live solos from late 86 on various bootlegs and then do a vote.I mean shit,check out his final solo from 9/26/86.Fucking perfect version of the Star Spangled Banner and a killer 60 second improv that is wicked on top of Anethesia.He was STILL improving at the time of his death (24 years old,what a sad fucking waste )

One more name that should've been on there was definately Peter Hook from Joy Division/New Order.Much like Cliff,he helped make the "bass-as-lead" exciting.

--------------------

Hate your enemies
Save your friends
Find your place
Speak the truth

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 22, 2004 21:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY X-D, Wetton is #28, he made the list.

Blacky shouda been on there no doubt about that.
Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is phenomenal, but they probably haven't heard of them. (yea I'm bias, so what)

Not a bad list considering a few oversights.There's always going to be disagreements with any list.

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 22, 2004 21:50     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radman:
Not surprised that Blacky's missing.Unfortunately the majority of his time w/ Voi Vod went unoticed by 98% of North America in the late 80's. Sorry dude,if you're reading.You DO rocketh,though!

Ok, then why the fuck am I seeing names like:

Ethan Buckler (Slint)
Hub (The Roots)
Juan Nelson (Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals)
Mick Karn

etc.

I mean I'm sure they are there for a reason, but who the fuck are these guys? With Blacky/ Voivod, we are talking about some of the most unique and influential metal albums of all time, and the Blower bass was a huge part of it all.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 22, 2004 21:56     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
John Wetton is a glaring oversight. Though I see you already mentioned that in the comments section there Tangento.

I was just shocked that they failed to list him as a member of the Mighty Crimson

quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
They could drop Paul Barker, Duff McKagen, Cliff Williams, Paul Simonon, and Eerie Von off there to make some room for some bassists who do more than just 'play-along' with the rest of the band.

Amen to that!

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted April 22, 2004 22:15     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good to see Myung on there!

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted April 22, 2004 22:18     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bassperf.html

Best bass Performances

I find this one hilarious

quote:
150. Enter Sandman - Jason Newsted (Metallica

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 22, 2004 23:38     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ne0rC:
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bassperf.html

Best bass Performances

I find this one hilarious
150. Enter Sandman - Jason Newsted (Metallica)

Dude, that's nothing:

quote:
23. Sympathy For The Devil - Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones)

are these people fucking serious? I need to just stop reading these things... I get way too worked up.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 23, 2004 01:23     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Blacky should be on there.

Once again, I don't believe in ranking people, clustering in groups would be more like it. Like an A, B, C, D, E groups of 20 each. None of this 1, 2, 3 etc crap.

Cool that Peter Cetera is all over the songs list. Old Chicago was some groovy shit.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 23, 2004 06:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tang typed re Wetton "I was just shocked that they failed to list him as a member of the Mighty Crimson"

Kinda makes ya wonder how much they really know about music. Wetton was most devastating when doing the low end in KC. He continued in UK but soon became commercialized in ASIA. Some of his solo releases are good (especially Monkey Buisness where he teams up with Richard Palmer James again) and some are kinda cheesy. No denying his power with the thick strings however!!!

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 23, 2004 08:25     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did my part, along with Tang and NeOrC: I added some Blacky worship on there. The earth will keep on spinning anyway, but that was fun just plugging Voivod!

And my favorite McCartney bassline is missing in that list: All My Loving.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 23, 2004 10:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Ok, then why the fuck am I seeing names like:

Ethan Buckler (Slint)

Slint was a great band. Although I can't remember the bass, oh well.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted April 23, 2004 12:08     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Slint was a great band. Although I can't remember the bass, oh well.

Honestly, some Touch & Go band that probably sold 43 albums is no match for the VOD!!

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 23, 2004 19:13     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am I missing the name Victor Wooten, or is he really not there? He's most notable for his work with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. The only reason I can guess why he was left of of the list was perhaps he's not "rock" enough. He's definetly a fusion player, but if Percy Jones can make it (who's awesome), then Wooten should have made it definetly. This guy should not only be in any top 100, I would argue that he's one of the 10 best bass players EVER. That's how sick this guy is!

As for contemporary rock, I was suprised not to see the Stone Temple Pilots guy there. I'm not a huge fan, but he is a very good bass player. I also dig Colin Greenwood from Radiohead. Not necessarily for his chops, but he's excellent at not overplaying.

And of course, Blacky. I can't deny that. I will never get over how much the mighty Voivod is overlooked in every category. What a shame.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 23, 2004 19:16     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And by the way, it was good to see some people recognized that I was expecting not to see there like the Fishbone bass player and Doug Wimbush. Two great, great players.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 23, 2004 21:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
And by the way, it was good to see some people recognized that I was expecting not to see there like the Fishbone bass player and Doug Wimbush. Two great, great players.

AMEN to that brotha!!!
Fishbone still knows how to kick it like the old daze

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 23, 2004 21:26     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im not saying the bassist from Slint is any good (i dont know)..but their old guitarist plays on the Probot track with Snake.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 24, 2004 00:28     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Two more that ought to get honorable mention if nothing else:

Andrew Weiss (Rollins Band / Ween)

Paul Raven (Killing Joke / Murder Inc. / Prong)

Certainly they have had some sort of influence, not to mention their ability.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 24, 2004 06:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BEN ORR from the CARS wasn't on there???!!!

please don't miss the sarcasm in that

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 24, 2004 16:10     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
BEN ORR from the CARS wasn't on there???!!!

please don't miss the sarcasm in that

Ah, c'mon the dude is dead.... I loved Ben Orr

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 24, 2004 21:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Ah, c'mon the dude is dead.... I loved Ben Orr

I loved the Cars before I was reborn with heavy metal, but let's face it, even an idiot like me could play his bass lines.

My apologies to the dead, but he was the first simple bass player I could think of, so I guess that say something for him... he's remembered.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted April 26, 2004 00:46     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No Wooten! Norwood Fisher! Where is Ian Hill!?? Who is Slint?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan