my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » coroner appreciation thread (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: coroner appreciation thread
HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted April 20, 2004 16:24     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
with the exception of voivod, they are the most unique thrash metal band ever. and an awesome 3 piece to boot
 |  IP: Logged
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted April 21, 2004 00:53     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. Another one of the bands I think about frequently because I never got to see them live.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 21, 2004 08:59     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I simply love Coroner. Especially Grin is a nice album. I have em all

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 21, 2004 09:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coroner ruled. Got to see them on the Mental Vortex tour. Every time Tommy Vetterli went into one of those mind-blowing lead runs, this guy next to me with dreads (he looked exactly like Vernon Reid from Living Color) would hold the sides of his head and go "Oh SHIT! Oh NO! Damn!" and laugh his head off.

They kept getting better and better and bowed out. They deserved better than they got.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 21, 2004 17:26     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
They kept getting better and better and bowed out. They deserved better than they got.

100% my thoughts, definitely. Great thread HatrossRig!!

I always think of what would've come next...the songs on the last compilation album promised great things, a continuation and an evolution of "Grin". I keep listening to those last new tracks, especially "Gliding above while being below" and "Golden cashmere..." 1 & 2.

PS. funny story about the guy with dreadlocks.....

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted April 22, 2004 05:11     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Coroner too.
You wouldn't believe, but R. Royce (vocals/bass) was a neighbour of mine and we are friends. He was the man who gave me the only two bass lessons I got in my life (till now).
Very cool and good band, the best in Switzerland (what else has this tiny country to offer musically anyway ?), along with Celtic Frost and The Young Gods.
Love 'em.

Cheers from that little spot

--------------------

What the...?

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted April 22, 2004 17:38     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
golden cashmere 1 and 2 give me goosebumps
DEEK
VoivodFan
Member # 431

posted April 26, 2004 17:40     Profile for DEEK   Email DEEK     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HatrossRig:
golden cashmere 1 and 2 give me goosebumps

and, yet, one of their best compositions

--------------------

*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted April 26, 2004 22:40     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Coroner rules.

I wish Ron Royce would stop working at that paint store and make an album.

Send them letters !

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 26, 2004 22:44     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Two words: MASKED JACKEL!!! \,,/ \,,/

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted April 27, 2004 01:02     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Machine:
they certainly had the chops

Not like that other swiss band

Power Trios rule

Yeah...
They rocked!
Not like that Soft Machine!
Just kidding...
But I Always dug Marky and Co.
Wish they put out more for us.
R.I.P!

-St. Michael
webmaster @ Celtic Frost.Com

Stay Morbid.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 27, 2004 01:27     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soft Machine? Dude the Soft Machine's 1st album is kinda cool! Of course I'm a sucka for that old prog stuff!

Love Coroner to death! Right up there with Voivod as far as the best of progressive thrash and beyond!

Good to see ya St. Mike! What's up these days man? And of course I have to ask to obligitory "anything CF news?" Cheers!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted April 27, 2004 01:32     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahaha...
X-D... Yeah bro! I'm just playin' around... And you know it! We all know Coroner ruled. Now my question is... Who here has a Coroner T-shirt?

St.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted April 27, 2004 04:51     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:
(what else has this tiny country to offer musically anyway ?)

Samaël

;-)

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted April 27, 2004 04:56     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by St. Michael:
Now my question is... Who here has a Coroner T-shirt?
St.

yep...
er, I have 2, actually
one from the 1990 No More Color tour and one from the 1996 farewell tour...
I got to see them 4 times between 1990 and 1996, and they kicked butt every fucking time!!!

hail Coroner!

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 27, 2004 06:43     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, he was a total badass.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 27, 2004 09:25     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seen them on the Grin tour, in that horrible place called the Arapaho in Paris

(there was a large pillar right in the middle of the room and the ceiling was very low, slammers were colliding with the lights rig all the time...)
Had fun on Purple Haze, with the stroboscopes straight in your face...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 27, 2004 09:29     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To this day, i never heard Grin... or the s/t one.
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted April 27, 2004 09:35     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll post Grin for you, skul.
Check the thrash update thread later today.

quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
To this day, i never heard Grin... or the s/t one.

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 27, 2004 09:38     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, awesome.
thanks bruddah

Voïronthrax
VoivodFan
Member # 403

posted May 17, 2004 18:45     Profile for Voïronthrax   Email Voïronthrax     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, I have been searching for 'Grin' for many years, still want it on vinyl or cd but you have my eternal gratitude for posting the mp3s! I still consider Voïvod and Coroner the greatest bands ever, Coroner just got better and better, the new tracks on the compilation were breath-taking and one can only wonder what may have been had they not split. Speaking of that, did anyone ever hear anything Clockwork did, are there any bootlegs of practices or gigs or anything?
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted May 17, 2004 19:29     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voïronthrax:
Wow, I have been searching for 'Grin' for many years, still want it on vinyl or cd but you have my eternal gratitude for posting the mp3s! I still consider Voïvod and Coroner the greatest bands ever, Coroner just got better and better, the new tracks on the compilation were breath-taking and one can only wonder what may have been had they not split. Speaking of that, did anyone ever hear anything Clockwork did, are there any bootlegs of practices or gigs or anything?

I've been trying to find out about Tommy's Clockwork project for years and have yet to come up with anything. I've posted in several places but nobody knows what I'm talking about and I KNOW I'm not making it up! haha

--------------------

Voïronthrax
VoivodFan
Member # 403

posted May 17, 2004 23:07     Profile for Voïronthrax   Email Voïronthrax     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gloomp:
I've been trying to find out about Tommy's Clockwork project for years and have yet to come up with anything. I've posted in several places but nobody knows what I'm talking about and I KNOW I'm not making it up! haha

I recall reading somewhere that Tommy split Clockwork because he thought it lacked originality. In the list of projects on his website (www.peterhaas.ch) Peter Haas (an incredible drummer!) seems to claim to have played with Clockwork on 'Clockwork' on the Clockwork label, I do not know if this was a demo or something or even just a way of making the list look bigger! I have never discovered anything more than that though. Really need to hear them even if they were not as original as Coroner, I mean, if Tommy was writing the songs (and Peter drumming on them!) they have got to be good, right?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 18, 2004 00:35     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Tommy on TV playing for Stephan Eisher in like '97 and i could never have respect for the guy ever again. Sure, Stephan at the time equaled money. But was it worth shakin' yer swiss arse on international french TV (TV5) like it was going outta style? Dont think so.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 18, 2004 05:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought my first Coroner CD Punishment for Decadence last year on the strength of VVF's recommendations and I agree with everyone here that they never got their due respect.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan