my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Exodus: on the road

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exodus: on the road
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted April 20, 2004 11:32     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alrosa Villa - Cowtown, Ohio

Saw them here in Columbus last night and the first half of their set ripped. Not sure what happened after those first 7-8 tunes but Hunting and Hunolt fell apart after that. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were having an off night. The PA was horribly obnoxious with triggered kick drums and they may have had a hard time hearing each other on stage considering the mains were so shitty. The monitors couldn't have been much better or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I had to walk to the front of the stage to hear the guitars and found a spot that balanced everything out sonically but the band were cooked by this point so it didn't matter.
I did have a great time from Scar Spangled until Parasite. After that it was a race to finish the songs.

This setlist may be off by a song or two...
Scar Spangled Banner
Deliver Us To Evil
Black List
Pirahna
'Til Death Do Us Part
Shroud Of Urine
Parasite
Culling The Herd
Foward March
A Lesson In Violence
War Is My Shepherd
Tempo Of The Damned
Toxic Waltz
Bonded By Blood
Strike Of The Beast

If you've seen The Ultimate Revenge II and know the hand gestures that Russ Anderson pulls off live, be prepared to see Zetro do the same. It's a riot.
Gary Holt is still one the unsung guitar hero's and you can tell he's driving the band because the new bass player didn't do much but muddy up the mix while he tried to keep his eyes open.
I did have a great time and hope this review doesn't come across in a negative way! Just statin' the facts.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 20, 2004 16:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome setlist! Fabulous Disaster and Parasite would have made it even better! I love the new album, I hope we don't have to wait almost 10 years for the next one.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2004 16:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuc, they did do Parasite acording to the list Greg posted. Cool honest review BTW. It's been a long time since they've thrashed it out I suppose and the young blood is getting old I guess. I love the new cd, and I'm thrilled they still know how to tear it up like the old daze.

--------------------

yawn

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 20, 2004 17:00     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
can't wait to see them again in june!
Scar Spangled Banner is quite a blast live!!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 20, 2004 22:25     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Nuc, they did do Parasite acording to the list Greg posted.

D'oh!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 21, 2004 13:55     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where do I find their tour schedule?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 21, 2004 16:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the review Greg! Exodus has always been a mix of absolute genius and horrible disaster... a strange quality that I have come to love and expect about them. Your review fits that idea perfectly.

Suprised to hear about Jack Gibson though... his bass playing on both "Another Lesson In Violence" and the new one sounds great!

Love the new album... another fractured Exodus classic, on par with 'Pleasures' and "Fabulous Disaster'. Nothing compares to 'Bonded By Blood' IMHO though.

I'm really glad to see them fired up and active again! I jump at the chance to see them if they head out to the NW.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 21, 2004 18:11     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Where do I find their tour schedule?

Hey I found it on their website.

/Apr. 23 - West Chester, PA @ REX'S Tavern
Apr. 24 - West Springfield, VA @ JAXX
Apr. 26 - Atlanta, GA @ Cotton Club
Apr. 27 - Orlando, FL @ BackBooth
Apr. 28 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ The Culture Room
May 01 - Dallas, TX @ Trees
May 02 - San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit
May 04 - Gallup, NM @ El Morro Theatre
May 05 - Tuba City, AZ @ Tuba City Community
May 06 - Phoenix, AZ @ Mason Jar
May 07 - Tucson, AZ @ The Rock
May 08 - San Diego, CA @ Brick By Brick
May 09 - Santa Ana, CA @ Galaxy
........../

After that tour they're headin' for Europa. They are going to perform at Sweden Rock Festival in june..... 3 days of Metal and "Old heavy Rock"

Exodus homepage

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted April 21, 2004 19:59     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnkiZ:
Hey I found it on their website.

May 04 - Gallup, NM @ El Morro Theatre

Exodus homepage

Gallup, NM!! What the hell are they doing playing in Gallup?!?! No show in ABQ?? Weird....

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted April 22, 2004 01:57     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I saw that last night! Gallup, the butthole of America! Jeez, don't get me started on that place or I might be labeled a racist again! A racist to my own peeps! Really tho, it is one of the most depressing places on the globe. The only good thing about it is the flea-market where you can find the best mutton sandwich wrapped in a frybread with a huge piece of green clile! Or some yummy mutton stew! Awww, my Navajo peeps and their yummy greasy food.

So luna sis, shall we make the 2 hr. roadie to Bunghole, N.M.? It's a 2'sday night.

g'night now!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 22, 2004 11:00     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell yes! Let's do it, let's thrash with a roomful of sweaty Navajos, our Navajo selves included! Nothing beats a metal show in the heart of the Navajo Nation. Slug, you forgot to mention Earl's. I hear this place is THE place to be in Gallup.

Gallup Rocks!

--------------------

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 03, 2004 16:16     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was the venue.

Exodus played the Key Club, (L.A.) in May of last year and it was flawless.

As far as Hunting using triggers, I'd say that is a bogus claim as well.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 03, 2004 18:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is for Layla's Dad! What are you doing April 26 baby???? These guys I'd love to see!
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 04, 2004 10:34     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slug and I are driving 2 1/2 hours to Gallup to see Exodus tonight!!
Fuckin-A, bros and bras, Fuckin-A!!

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 04, 2004 13:25     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have fun Luna. I'm kind of mad cause I just realized that we are now in the month of May, not April.....
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 04, 2004 13:28     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eggs-at-us
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 04, 2004 16:45     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Have fun Luna. I'm kind of mad cause I just realized that we are now in the month of May, not April.....

I know, I thought maybe you meant to type May....oh well.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 05, 2004 19:19     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exodus - Gallup, NM

I'm happy to say my neck is sore today and I'm feeling a bit of the 'ol red-eyed, tired, little sleep after last night's show in a little place called Gallup. For those who are not familiar with New Mexico (and Gallup for that matter), let me tell you that Native America L-O-V-E-S the Metal...doesn't matter what genre of Metal. I'm kicking myself for not bringing a camera to the Exodus show last night. The crowd was 99.5% Native kids, and some old fucks, like myself! And Exodus had a fucking blast and loved the crowd.
After waiting through three opening bands in a movie theatre without a liquor license (WHAT?!?!? NO BEER?!?!?), a no-smoking policy, and no re-entry...ugh! That was tough. Sluggbuttress and I went to a bar two doors down and I drank about three Schlitz's and stared at a wall full of signed $1.00 bills, talked to an old Hispanic man with arthritic fingers before a Navajo dude came up to the bar trying to finagle one more beer out of the bartender, who had a crazy U-shaped scar on the right side of her face.
Finally, we made our way into the "movie theatre" and looked at the t-shirts I couldn't afford to buy. Watched Here Lies Treachery (I think that was their name). Not bad. Then Ethnic De-Generation came on next, a band formed of mostly Navajo dudes, and who were not bad either and the crowd was into it. Then Dying Tribe, who I thought were pretty fucking good. Seriously, it was a long wait before Exodus took the stage and fucking tore it up!
I was surprised to realize how many of their old tunes I remember, even though I haven't listened to them in years. The set list is mostly the same as the Ohio show, but I do know they played Fabulous Disaster. And they ended with AC/DC's Dirty Deeds. It also happened to be Gary Holt's birthday yesterday, so they rolled out a chocolate cake and the crowd sang Happy Birthday...that was fun. The sound was great, and I think I'm in love with Gary Holt! The motherfucker can play! And Steve Souza, many, many thanks and props to this guy! I go to many shows here in NM and he was genuinely enjoying himself, just had a blast. He sang with a ferocity and passion and couldn't stop thanking the crowd for "representing", showing up for old school thrash. The Toxic Waltz, oh man, I'm getting choked up...I don't see enough heartfelt, balls-out displays from many bands these days. AND they started in the '80s!! The mix of old tunes with the new songs was something to behold, and I for one am ecstatic for having been there to witness the beauty of it all...the crowd was nuts and with virtually no security, they just went ape-shit, stage diving, crowd surfing, moshing, getting on-stage and hugging the band...it was too much! And funny as hell as this being a movie theatre, guys and gals kept crashing into the front row of seats. At one point a small group of young lasses got going in a mosh pit of their own...fucking awesome!
If Exodus is coming to your town, whether it be this tour, or a later tour, go check it out. You will not be disappointed. Fucking bless the Metal Gods!

--------------------

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 05, 2004 20:50     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said sis! Damn I felt old at that show! A lot of them kids weren't even born when "Bonded By Blood" was released, but they were going wild just the same and pumping their fists and devil signs in the air!

My favorite part of the night was the crowd chanting, "Gallup! Gallup!" during one of the opening band's set! A classic moment in Metal history!

One question. Who is the bass player and why is he in the band? He didn't look like he fit in or wanted to be there.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 06, 2004 12:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, sounded like a great time guys! Nice report Luna. Gallup seems like a rocking town. But what? No photos?? Damn. Maybe I'll catch them the next time around and hopefully by that time I'll know what month I'm in.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 06, 2004 13:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey, sounded like a great time guys! Nice report Luna. Gallup seems like a rocking town. But what? No photos?? Damn. Maybe I'll catch them the next time around and hopefully by that time I'll know what month I'm in.

My friend emailed me and says he will try to get me a copy of photos taken by his cousin...stay tuned! And just how did you lose track of an entire month, MezCalHead?

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 06, 2004 15:17     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Simple Miss Luna, because I am a moron.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted May 06, 2004 15:32     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, sounds like a great time and if I was there with you, I'd kick you in the ass too for not taking a freakin' camera!! What the hell were you thinking? Oh wait, YOU WEREN'T!!!

Wish I could have been there.....BTW, I am going to see Deadweight tomorrow night at Conan's Pub, where Death Angel is playing on the 21st, and I will pick up tickets then. I can't believe you're leaving on Saturday to see some dumb band and not hanging out with your sister for an extra day!!! That's okay, I still love ya!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 06, 2004 17:08     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:

I can't believe you're leaving on Saturday to see some dumb band and not hanging out with your sister for an extra day!!! That's okay, I still love ya!

Aargh! I know. However, I wouldn't call Vital Remains with Glen Benton behind the mic, "some dumb band". I just bought my Vital Remains ticket and a Morbid Angel w/SUFFOCATION ticket(tomorrow night!!!)
during my lunch break. And I found a used copy of Akercocke's Choronzon for $7.99. Hooray!

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan