my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Living Coloür live!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living Coloür live!
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted April 17, 2004 14:49     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't think there are too many Living Coloür fans around this board, but I saw them live last night and I'm still under the effects of their brilliant performance!

Vernon Reid is a guitar god and Corey Glover's voice is simply unbelievable! The setlist was comprised of classics such as "Middle Man", "Type", "Cult of Personality" and some material from their underrated comeback album "Collideoscope". They played nonstop for 2 1/2 hours and you could tell they were having a great time on stage.

It's been 12 years since the last time I saw Living Coloür (the band's first gig ever w/ Doug Wimbish) but this time they rocked even harder. They're definetely on the top of their game now. Just hope they don't take other 10 years to come back to Brazil!...

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 17, 2004 21:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Living Color on their first tour for VIVID at Hammerjacks, and the placed was packed wall to wall, and they tore it up!!!

A few years later I saw them in DC with Bad Brains for the STAIN tour, and they kicjed ass again.

I haven't purchased the new cd yet, since I know if I do my wife will take when we split!!!

I wasn't blown away by some of the 30 second samplers I heard online... how does it stack up to classic LC?

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 19, 2004 03:55     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
Don't think there are too many Living Coloür fans around this board...

hm, One more fan here. Recently became one. Not many bands that can play reggae-style music and "metal". They were on tour and reached all the way up to the Netherlands.
They didn't reach up to sweden. Wish they had.

Have "Time's up" and the "Super Hits" albums. Managed to d/l most of "collidoscope", I want to have the "real" thing so the album is on my "have to buy-list".

Almost to many good music-advice and stuff for d/l on the board. (j/k)

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 19, 2004 06:36     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw them 06 march 2004 and it was very impressing. Doug Wimbish is my absolute fav on the bass, after this gig. He really played "guitarsolos" on the bass

In the late 80s and early 90s I saw them several times and I must say that they are still as good as they were in the "old" days.

Grtzz, DBC

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 19, 2004 07:29     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Death Brain Cell's:
Saw them 06 march 2004 and it was very impressing. Doug Wimbish is my absolute fav on the bass, after this gig. He really played "guitarsolos" on the bass .....Grtzz, DBC

Yeah, I know they were in europe then.
Arghhh, do I envie you DBC.....yes I do! Just you wait until next tour, then they will just do a scandinavian tour.

I can always dream, can't I?

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted April 19, 2004 10:11     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I wasn't blown away by some of the 30 second samplers I heard online... how does it stack up to classic LC?

First time I listened to the new album, I found it a little weird. There are not too many sing-along choruses like you'd expect from LC. But then the album started to grow on me and now I think it rocks.

One thing that is clear is the effects of the 9-11 on their songwriting. Not only the lyrics were inspired by the attacks, but some of the songs are also darker than usual.

Vernon Reid said in an interview that "Collideoscope" is too peculiar to be compared to the other records and he sees it as a "transition album". It makes sense to me as they haven't played together for 10 years and writing an album is always a collective effort.
All in all, the new CD is very intense and I think it stacks up to classic LC no matter how it may sound a little different.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 19, 2004 12:29     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't agree more about there live performance. I'm a huge LC and Vernon Reid fan. I saw them live a couple of times on the Time's Up tour and they blew me away. Then I saw them a couple of years ago (before the new album came out) and the opened up with Time's Up! They shredded like I never saw them before. Absolutely top notch band. Every Cliff Burton fan should know who Doug Wimbush is. It seems they approach the bass similarly.
As for the new CD, it didn't move me right away either. Anyone looking for a Stain part 2 (like I was) will be disappointed. But over time, I'm getting it. Nonetheless, they're just a great band.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted April 20, 2004 00:30     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are all lucky! I don't think they have ever played here. I would love to see them live and I am still hoping for a N.M stop!

Haven't heard the new album as of yet. Been to broke to get any kind of music lately, but things are looking up so I will definately go out and get the new one. The weirder the better for me!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 20, 2004 16:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I was totally expecting something less straightforward. Especially with a title like Collidescope. It took me a while to get into it but now I really love the album. Only thing I would have changed was dropping those two covers.
Also, I think its the finest vocal performance by Corey yet!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2004 16:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Found it used today for $8.00 so I had to buy it. I've yet to listen to it but I'll give ya my thought after I devour the music a few times.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 21, 2004 15:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Living Colour! bloody hell, first band I ever saw live, supporting Anthrax at the Hammersmith Odeon, March 26th 1989. Don't think Vivid had come out yet in the UK.

They were pretty good, too. But I was saving my neck for the 'thrax!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted April 21, 2004 18:11     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Heliplopter:
They were pretty good, too. But I was saving my neck for the 'thrax!

That's fuckin' hilarious......do you mind.....??

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 21, 2004 20:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck having to give it a couple listens to form an opinion...THIS IS THEIR BEST CD YET.
Played it at work today and thought it was great!!! Cool music, doesn't sound dated, cool lyrics, Corey's voice in ON!!!

thanks for this thread and all the thumbs up on this cd, worth every penny

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted April 22, 2004 18:08     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
thanks for this thread and all the thumbs up on this cd, worth every penny

I wasn't expecting to find any LC fans around here when I started this thread, but VVF keeps surprising me! Glad you like the CD, Schroeder!

BTW, the guys played a song titled "Terrorism" at the show last week and I can't get it out of my mind. It was only Will Calhoun and Doug Wimbish (him singing and playing the bass like it was another instrument!). The song has this hypnotic bass-riff and lots of other tricks by Wimbish. Hope they get it recorded in the future.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 25, 2004 14:09     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hypergrrl:
That's fuckin' hilarious......do you mind.....??

Heh heh... Not at all, lady!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted May 03, 2004 20:53     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Living Colour

LIVE

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 04, 2004 02:52     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great link! Thank you!!!
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted May 04, 2004 06:52     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by portuga:
Living Colour

LIVE

Thanks Portuga. Great link! I've never seen them live. "Sacred Ground" is awesome.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 04, 2004 21:22     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you haven't already, you guys should definitely give Vernon Reids solo CD a listen that he released in '96 titled Mistaken Identity. A must have for all Vernon fans. It might be too hip hoppy for some of you. But, in my opinion, it's done very well. Sometimes I'm bothered by the use of drum machine, but Vernon's playing is just too awesome.
I'd forgotten how good this CD is, but I'm listening to it right now, and yup! it's a good one.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 04, 2004 23:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Corey Glover's 'Hymn' solo release is pretty damn fins also. Very soulful and deep. Corey's got a damn good distintive voice.

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted May 05, 2004 04:41     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks "MeanMrMustard" and "schroeder".
I like the way Living Color can mix metal/reggae/etc. I know all of them have done solo projects.

I found some mp3 clips from both Vernon's and Corey's solo albums. I do need advice about these guy's, I'm "into" a diversity of different music "styles": Metal, reggae, soul, blues, funky tunes....

I'm grateful for any advice concerning their music .....
*Hmm, when's the next "pay day"?*

Cheers!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 05, 2004 10:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I picked up Glover's album for $1 + shipping on Columbia House... if you're a member.

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted May 05, 2004 11:11     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
......on Columbia House... if you're a member.

Livin' up here in sweden, not allowed to be member.

I found Glovers' and Reid's soloprojects on Amazon.

Thanks guys!

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted May 05, 2004 13:06     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Corey Glover's 'Hymn' solo release is pretty damn fins also. Very soulful and deep. Corey's got a damn good distintive voice.

I like your definition, Schroeder. "Hymns" is really soulful and deep. Corey's voice is simply amazing and the material on his solo album is very emotional as well.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 05, 2004 14:29     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, how could I forget. Yeah, Corey Glover's CD is veerrrryy nice. Very vintage soul and R&B, which is what I was pretty much raised on. I really liked it. Brings to mind Al Green, Marvin Gay, Otis Redding, and the like. A very nice album, I thought. And yeah, there's a rocker on there too!
Hey, and by the way, Schroed, I read the review you wrote for my band, and I really can't figure out what to say. That was super cool. Can't figure out what to say to thank you, but thank you! And thanks Mez and Anki for your support as well. It's all about the word of mouth. That's more effective than all of the press and advertising. Thanks guys! You're awesome.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan