my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Yes vs. Voivod

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yes vs. Voivod
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 14, 2004 12:52     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a fairly recent Voivod fan, and one of the reasons I've really fallen for this band is because of their influences. One of the biggest influences I can think of is Yes. Piggy has mentioned that Yes is one of his biggest influences, and it shows in his music.

I'm writing this because I'm listening to "Dimension Hatross" right now, specifically "Chaosmongers". There's a section in this song, from 2:15 to 3:15, that's a dead ringer for the middle of "Gates of Delirium" from Yes. By "dead ringer", I mean similar levels of musicianship, but also the fact that it sends *chills!* up & down my spine.

Thought I'd share this, for no particular reason.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 14, 2004 13:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now, if you get on the subject of Yes and Voivod, you'll see me running and jumping in the air screaming "Me! Me! Me!".

I ALWAYS thought that "Gates of Delirium" was very Voivodish, the dissonance, the weirdness, the intensity. The intro to "Close to the Edge" has the same feel, too. Piggy is a huge fan of Steve Howe and it shows.

I also noticed that the bass sound is very similar: that blower bass sound, well Chris Squire had it, even before Lemmy, I think. Don't know if Chris Squire is a Blacky favorite, but it wouldn't surprise me!

You also have to consider King Crimson as far as inspiration goes. Just listen to Cosmic Drama; there's a break in there that is a total rip-off of "Red" (in a good way!).

Another thought: I alway thought that Piggy's sound was very similar to the sound of electric organ, an instrument we hear a lot in old prog rock music. It wouldn't surprise me that Piggy learned to play guitar by emulating the organ sound (maybe Blacky could confirm that!).

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 14, 2004 14:21     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, now you mention it, the middle of Chaosmongers does sound like the clashing 'battle' sequence in the middle of Gates.

Saw Yes last year - they didn't play anything form Relayer but it wouldn't have seemed out of place in the set. What a fucking awesome live band!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 14, 2004 19:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last time someone mentioned this I was too lazy to comare the 2 songs, but I'm listening to Chaosmongers now and DAMN!!!! You're right... lot's of Gates Of Delirium in there.

I've been a huge YES fanatic from a long time ago, and they were the first band I went insane collecting. When I first bought Relayer I didn't get it... it didn't have the same feel that other YES music had that I was used to hearing; however, after a few years, it became and is still my favorite YES disc (along with DRAMA). It's so different than the rest of their catalog, but not boring like Tales of the Topographic Ocean. I tribute this to Moraz, and I've always felt like this was YES trying to be King Crimson. Howe played so different on Relayer and it reminded me of Fripp.

Voivod have always impressed me and I've always considered them the King Crimson of metal... alway pushing the envelope, and doing things different. Look at how much they changed from Killing Technology to Angel Rat... totally different but still Voivod and all of it was pure genius. Just like KC have always done...

OFTEN IMITATED - NEVER DUPLICATED

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 15, 2004 09:16     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I'm here, where's the song?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 15, 2004 13:41     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't resist mentioning that my former bass player was very much influenced by Yes. And of course we were both huge Voivod fans. He's the one that turned me onto Voivod when the NothingFace CD came out. Anyway, I'm trying to raise money for cancer research in honor of my bass player who died from cancer by giving proceeds of CD sales to cancer research. If you guys wouldn't mind, check out my topic about Tax Day. Thanks guys!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 19, 2004 07:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soooo, I had a good listen at Relayer yesterday. Hadn't heard it in a long while. Well it's still a great (and weird) album, full of fury, good melodies and FANTASTIC playing (especially Steve Howe, on guitar/pedal steel/sitar; how many progrock bands had pedal steel players? None. That's why Howe rules!)

I noticed an interesting part in Gates of Delirium: at about 10:30, you have that part with a bass line that sounds right out of Angel Rat, with sound effects straight out of Outer Limits. Check it out, folks, it's very interesting!

The rest of the album is amazing too: Soundchaser *ROCKS* in its own weird way, Steve Howe smokes. As for To Be Over, I always thought it was a lame attempt at redoing And You And I, but listening back to it now, it's a very beautiful piece of music, with great melodies, and again great slide playing.

Then I put on Going for the One. I love this one.

Enough Yestalk for today. I could go on and on!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 19, 2004 08:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always thought it would be interesting to hear YES with a more powerful singer. I know Anderson is the 'voice' of YES but sometime there music can be so heavy but Jon's voice is so 'angel-like'. I thought John Wetton would has sounded great singing some classic YES tunes. He was brilliant in King Crimson & UK (Asia was overly commercial, but that's what they were going for). If you haven't heard Steve Hackett's TOKYO TAPES it's worth buying. An alstar line up and Wetton on vocals and bass is brilliant.

cool thread... think I'll play RELAYER now.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 19, 2004 08:26     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno, I reallly think that Anderson's voice ads an eery, dreamlike side to the music. And I always liked Chris Squire's voice doing the harmonies, even tho it's a little weak if you think about it. But the vocal harmonies are part of the Yessound.

I'm planning a proper listen of Going for the One, maybe tonight. Haven't heard Awaken in a long time.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 19, 2004 09:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
I dunno, I reallly think that Anderson's voice ads an eery, dreamlike side to the music. And I always liked Chris Squire's voice doing the harmonies, even tho it's a little weak if you think about it. But the vocal harmonies are part of the Yessound.

I'm planning a proper listen of Going for the One, maybe tonight. Haven't heard Awaken in a long time.

I know you're right about Anderson's voice and YES was the first band I collected heavily, buying anything and everything they released. But when I started getting into King Crimson, I thought about how much better I enjoyed the stronger more agressive vocals compared to Anderson's and it just always had me thinkg...'what if'.

Anyhow, I know YES wouldn't sound like what we've all come to love or hate about their sound if it wasn't for Jon's voice. They have certainly released a lot of timeless music (but also released some I'd rather forget about). Squire and Howe's voice really add fullness to the sound and Squire's FISH OUT OF WATER is hands down the best project anyone in the band has released (although Peter Banks solo albums kick ass... he's an amazing guitar player).
Howe on the other hand does NOT need to be a lead singer!!! I wish his solo releases were pure instrumental (like some of them are) or he needs a better person to sing his lyrics. If you listen to his solo albums you'll hear many sections that latter found their way into YES' songs.

NP: RELAYER remastered (these remastered series that Rhino has just finished releasing are great, and well worth picking up even if you have the original cds released by Atlantic)

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 27, 2004 10:35     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BUMP-BUMP-PEE-DOO!

An interesting note for Yesfans:

I read recently in a Patrick Moraz interview that he actually worked on the composing of Going for the One, but he claims he wasn't credited for his work (he's only in the "thank you" list). Just before the recording, he was kicked out of the band to let Wakeman come back. What's lame is that GFTO was recorded in Switzerland, Moraz's country!

So, it's intersting to see that the contribution of Moraz isn't only on Relayer, but also on GFTO. For those who thought that he did a great job on Relayer (as I do), it's good to know!

(Okay, that's totally geeky information that will probably only interest Schroeder, but anyway.)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 27, 2004 12:07     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, that's very interesting to me Maldorrröööaaarrr as Going For The One is the only 1970s YES album I don't own and have never even heard... and Relayer is one of my favorites.

As for Anderson's voice... I always had a hard time adjusting to the utter 'lightness' of his singing for years and years, but as I've been a a serious YES kick lately too, and despite my natural preference to heavier vocals, I can't imagine anyone else in that slot.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 27, 2004 13:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Actually, that's very interesting to me Maldorrröööaaarrr as Going For The One is the only 1970s YES album I don't own and have never even heard... and Relayer is one of my favorites.

You really should get a hold on GfortheO, it's a great album, which was a kind of new begining for Yes: it's a very fresh, very happy album, with beautiful moments (Yes really like that word!) and a little rock'n'roll too. It's closer to "The Yes Album" than "Close to the Edge", so it's like brand new Yes. Again, great guitars!

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted April 27, 2004 15:44     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know this is off topic, but-

has anyone heard Dahlia Seed's cover of Missing Sequences ?

Really cool !

Hey warcorpse - Maybe you should make a special section in the Vod Mp3's for
Voivod covers !

By the by _ could someone post the band members names for Union Made ?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 28, 2004 06:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx for the Moraz / GFTO info, very interesting.

I haven't listened to Refugee since High School when a friend bought the lp, but I remember it was very good. Moraz started (I believe) in a band named MAINHORSE that was also good.

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 28, 2004 07:01     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
........By the by _ could someone post the band members names for Union Made ?

Found this at:
Obituaries web page

quote:
Denis "Snake" Bélanger Vocals
Daniel Bérubé Lead Guitar
Guillaume Ozoux Rhythm Guitar
Bill Thompson Bass
Peter Jackson Drums

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 28, 2004 08:37     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great stuff about Moraz, guys. Didn't he joined the Moody Blues after that?

Here's a Patrick Moraz interview for you progerfuckers out there!

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 28, 2004 09:33     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
...................Here's a Patrick Moraz interview for you progerfuckers out there!

Woah!!! THANKS!

A "goldmine", Moody Blues "steppin' in a slide zone".

Links to Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher...... live at rockpalast!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan