my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Max Webster anyone??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Max Webster anyone??
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 29, 2004 18:57     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't remember ever seeing a mention to this great Canadian band here at VVF. Are you guys familiar with Max Webster?? Weren't they famous in Canada or what?!

At this very moment I'm listening to their 1976 s/t album and it does rock! The main guitar riff in the song "Hangover" is fuckin' infectious!!

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 30, 2004 14:28     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i don't really remember max webster, i was too young. singer/guitar player, kim mitchell, was well known for his radio friendly singles in the 80s and for his goofy videos ("patio lanterns" for one) and for his long hair and the baseball hat that he always wore to cover the fact that he was very bald on top. apparently he has finally shaved his head or else all of his hair finally fell out.
http://www.kimmitchell.ca

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 30, 2004 14:48     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best. Outfit. Ever.

Love the red tights. Go for a soda!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 30, 2004 17:47     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always dug Max Webster. Kim's solo stuff is good too, but as Nia said, some was a bit too "radio friendly" for me.

I met Kim back in the mid-eighties. He was a friend of the guy who owned the music store where I took lessons. Kim had finished building a guitar for him and I guess he was in town for a gig. When I came out of my lesson they were both standing there chatting about this guitar. Mark (the store owner) introduced me and Kim was very nice. He asked me how long I'd been playing and stuff. I told him that my teacher was gonna have to show me Go For A Soda now and we all laughed. I learned Go For A Soda at the next lesson, but sadly I never got a chance to play it for Kim.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted March 31, 2004 03:35     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never was their biggest fan by any means but of their tunes which I like, I like alot! From time to time I like to dust off my crusty old K-Tel "Rock 80" cassette tape and crank up "Paradise Skies". That song rules!

tonight,
inaugerates rock & roll wings,
tonight,
bent to turn the world around,
and we hover and we leave the ground,
and the magic we need,
frees the dancer we wanna be

(Chorus)
happiness is beginning to ride /
from the streets into paradise skies

tonight,
rock & roll wings,
there's no rumour of the road,
no reason to explain,
the action,
tidal rock & wave,
paradise skies reflecting in our eyes
and the magic we free is how pleasure moves, and grooves on

(Chorus)

--------------------

When the chime ends, pickup your gun. Try and shoot me Coronel... Just try...

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 31, 2004 09:31     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
apparently he has finally shaved his head or else all of his hair finally fell out.

I bet he's feeling much better now, Nia...

quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Mark (the store owner) introduced me and Kim was very nice. He asked me how long I'd been playing and stuff. I told him that my teacher was gonna have to show me Go For A Soda now and we all laughed.

That's really cool, Nuc! Have you been following his solo carreer? Is Kim's new material any good? It's hard to find any Max Webster around here, let alone Kim Mitchell's solo stuff...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 31, 2004 11:27     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know the last I heard was the live album about 6 or maybe 7 years ago. I haven't really been following him. I know Max Webster is back together for the occasional Classic Rock type festival. I think they toured last summer. There was rumour they were coming to http://www.manitobasummerfest.com/ but I haven't heard more.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan