my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Finnish for foreign learners internet crash course (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Finnish for foreign learners internet crash course
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 24, 2004 18:19     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello everybody!

My name is Väinämöinen, and I'll be your teacher for the next few weeks or so. Questions, anyone? No? Okay, let's get straight to work then. Each week I will present you with one Finnish word, and you can say it out loud after my example. We'll start with a word that's familiar to everyone here:

VOIVOD

There. Now, repeat after me. Make sure you get all the letters right! See you next week!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

|  IP: Logged
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 24, 2004 18:34     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOI-VAAAWWWDDDDDD... (hope it sounded right)

i need to learn some polish tounge, anyone speak polish? i am giving up on the russian LOL j/k

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 24, 2004 19:02     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want to learn Polish too. And then I want to change my name to some hot Polish name with a lot of k's, z's and y's.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 25, 2004 07:16     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good, very nice pronunciation there! Now I'll give you the meaning for that word in English:

THE BAND OF BANDS

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 25, 2004 09:14     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Believe it or not, this first word you taught us has the exact same meaning in Portuguese...

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 25, 2004 18:53     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ooh! Now this course is proving very useful for the teacher too! Hmm, let me try that in (Brazilian) Portuguese:

VOIVOD

I hope I pronounced it clearly enough for a native Brazilian speaker to understand !

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 26, 2004 08:51     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, since you're advancing so fast, I'm going to introduce the next word.

KIITOS (key-tos)

=Thank you.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 26, 2004 12:25     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kiitos.

Correct?

Thank you in portuguese:

OBRIGADO (oh-bree-gah-doo).

P.S.: almost forgetting: if you're a woman, you say

OBRIGADA (oh-bree-gah-dah).

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 26, 2004 20:39     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obrigado Slayman!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted March 27, 2004 13:21     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kiitos.

Hmmm...should that be key-toes or key-toss, V?

Obrigada!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 27, 2004 20:53     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"key-toss". Good question, Meg!

Ok, let's move on since this was supposed to be a crash course. No time to waste! Next we're going to have a look at greetings:

MOI! = Hi!

This word is pronounced like the beginning of "moist". It's a casual greeting, and can be used in many situations. You can also use it when you're leaving, as in "bye".

HYVÄÄ PÄIVÄÄ = Good afternoon

Ok, this one's probably a bit of a bitch to pronounce. The finnish "Y" is like it's German counterpart, so it's a quite strong vowel. "Ä" is pronounced like the "a" in "bad". Let's have a go:

(hy-vää päi-vää)

Obrigado for your co-operation, we'll have a lunch break now!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted March 28, 2004 12:32     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Moi, Väinämöinen! Hyvää päivää! (although it must be closer to "good evening" your time as I type this )

Obrigada for clarifying how to properly pronounce "kiitos"

Um, oh yeah: VOIVOOOOOOOD!

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 29, 2004 10:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... Moi! (is it correct???)

Well, I already started using v's thread to teach some portuguese as well, so here we go.

MOI = HI = OI in portuguese. Pronounce it exactly like the Oi! of the skinhead Oi bands and you'll be clearly understood.

Now we have a difficult one.

HYVÄÄ PÄIVÄÄ = GOOD AFTERNOON = BOA TARDE.
Now remember: the letter "O" in portuguese is normally pronounced like "oh" when in middle of words. The letter "U" is pronounced "oo" (like, say, boo!) in any word. Reason for the pronouce of "U"? Boa is pronounced "boh-oo-ah" (please don't ask me why a three-letter-word is pronounced as if it had four letters).

Tarde is easier. "Tar-dee", with "a" pronounced like the a on "fart". Ugh.

You can use "boa tarde" when arriving or when leaving, just like now.

Boa tarde.

--------------------

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 29, 2004 18:52     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a newcomer to the Finnish crash course, I'd like to ask our fellow teacher Väinämöinen a silly question.

What do the following names mean in English: Lama; Tervet Kadeet; Rattus; Appendix; Riistetyt??

Moi!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 30, 2004 05:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh, the good ol' HC bands, hehe! Lama stands for "Repression", Terveet Kädet means "Healthy (as in good, usable) Hands", Rattus & Appendix aren't really Finnish words but Riistetyt means...ta da..."The Exploited"!

BTW, I don't know where Terveet Kädet got their name from but I suspect it may have something to do with a Finnish saying: "You've got healthy hands, why aren't you working?". The band's name is a kind of a sarcastic joke, because most people belonging to the older generations (born before the golden sixties) in Finland don't generally think musicianship (...except composing or playing strictly classical stuff...) counts as something to be taken seriously. The least appreciated group is, of course, those "drug-abusing, sexually and morally perverted rock and roll idols of the youth"(free quotation from a newspaper article).

Hey, I forgot to mention last time that HYVÄÄ PÄIVÄÄ is used only when meeting sb, not when one is leaving.

If you want to say "Goodbye" in a formal way, you can for example say "NÄKEMIIN". "E" is pronounced like in "metal" or "deaf", "I" is used like in "tee" or "me". But then again, who on this board need formal speech anyway ?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 31, 2004 17:23     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Ahh, the good ol' HC bands, hehe! Lama stands for "Repression", Terveet Kädet means "Healthy (as in good, usable) Hands", Rattus & Appendix aren't really Finnish words but Riistetyt means...ta da..."The Exploited"!

Thank you, teacher. Actually, I suspected Rattus and Appendix weren't Finnish names, but I couldn't resist mentioning those two...

BTW, there's only one band in the entire world that doesn't need to attend neither the Finnish crash course nor Slaytanic's Portuguese classes. The one and only Força Macabra!
Have you heard of these folks, Väinämöinen?? Despite being from Finland, your compatriots sing in...Portuguese!! Talk about uniqueness...

Moi!!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 31, 2004 18:03     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
The one and only Força Macabra!
Have you heard of these folks, Väinämöinen?? Despite being from Finland, your compatriots sing in...Portuguese!! Talk about uniqueness...

Yeah, I've heard some FM in the past but I didn't know they sing in Portuguese. That's pretty unique in these parts, really! There's another Finnish band called Deep Turtle (yes, a horrible choice for a name) that has been singing in at least Latin, Finnish, English and maybe German before, and currently they're using Spanish...

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 01, 2004 01:03     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Muito obrigado pelo crash course! (?)
Nice to know what Riistetyt means...
funny, I just checked my finnish collection, found "Alakulttuurin Kusipäät - 200 päivää" - hey I know this word, I understand finnish now!

Kaikki On Paskaa!
Kiitos!

and Voivooooood!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 02, 2004 04:14     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brilliant, neutrino! Students bringing their own material, wow! I'm impressed!

I think we should tell the others what those words you brought to class mean. Here we go:

Alakulttuuri is "subculture",
kusipää means "pisshead",
200 means two hundred
Kaikki is "everything" or "everybody"
on denotes "is" and
paska means "shit".

As you probably noticed, we didn't include some letters in the ends of the words. That's because we mostly concentrate on the basic forms of the words this semester.
Cheers!

[edit] oops, forgot one word...päivä means "a day" or "daytime"!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 07, 2004 18:38     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, last week was very useful for me, I learned tidbits of at least three languages simultaneously on VVF

Now it's time to move on to the most important area of everyday communication: ordering drinks!

Iso Guinness, kiitos!

"A large pint (0.5 or 0.6 liter in Finland) of Guinness, please!"

or

Iso kolmonen!

"A large pint of any class III (that's 3.9-4.7 alc %) beer on tap"

iso = large, kolmonen = kolme = three

Kippis! = Cheers!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 07, 2004 19:15     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Portuguese kusipää
Iso Guinness, kiitos!
Kippis!

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 09, 2004 17:20     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'm bored outta my mind here this lovely Friday afternoon, so perhaps I should practice my Finnish lessons, eh?

Iso Guiness! and while you're at it - iso kolmonen too, kiitos! (yes, I'm a two-fisted drinker, and besides I don't really like Guiness, I'll need something lighter to wash it down).

Kippis!

--------------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 14, 2004 16:44     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All right, now that everyone has a proper hangover we're going to move on to the one and only cure for the ache in the head...coffee! If you're in need of ordinary, filtered black coffee you say

kahvi (coh-ve).

If you're not that hung over, you might add a friendly "kiitos" (in this case, 'please'). Otherwise just stare at your shoes and hand the money to the barista. I say barista because in most coffee-selling places in Finland you'll have to pour the coffee yourself, just the "serious" coffee places have decent service.

Okay, so what if you want some milk with the coffee? Just say

kahvi maidolla (my-doll-ah, 'with milk').

The 'exotic' coffee varieties (yes, latté is still considered something fancy by some people here ) are called the same here as in most other countries. Espresso is espresso, kahvi is kahvi

PS. Hey Brazilians, I met a dancer from your country when I was in Sweden yesterday. I said "boa nuite" to her, and she replied "boa nuite". To me it sounded like "boa nuis" with no "h"'s in "boa"! Why's that? Am I finally deaf? Hehehe!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 14, 2004 20:45     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kahvi maidolla, kiitos!

(I'm never hungover )

--------------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 30, 2004 06:01     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaah, summer is finally making its way up here too...+14'C yesterday. I thought I could add one more very important everyday phrase to this crash course:

Haista vittu!

[edit: (hi-sta vi[t]-two). The 1st "t" in "vittu" is a silent one, just put your tongue against your front teeth and wait for a couple of tenths of seconds, then finish the word by saying "two". However, don't move your tongue away from the "t" position before saying "two", just sort of continue the word straight from there. ]

That's Fuck you! in E.

Actually the words have quite a different meaning when they are not used together: Haista is a singular imperative form of smell (I want you to smell sth!), and vittu means pussy. Guess if it refers to the animal or the other furry thing...

PS.
Glad Vappen, alla svenskspråkiga!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan