my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » SXSW

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SXSW
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 23, 2004 10:46     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had the pleasure to attend this year's SXSW in Austin last week during my Spring Break. Has anyone else been to this live music extravaganza? If not, it's well worth checking out at least once. I managed to make it through three days without the $125.00 wristband. The cool thing about this year's SXSW was all of the free afternoon shows. I saw mostly metal and rock bands, although I ventured into the CocoRosie show recommended by an old hippie named Mike. Lesbian electronic/pop/rock; one of the gals would suddenly break in with an amazing voice built for the Opera. Not bad, but not worth the $15.00 cover just to see ONE band, because I left to check out the bands featured at Japan Night in a dance bar called Carribean Nights. Disco lights and the waitstaff was all ghetto. The Japanese bands were mostly on the punk rock end of the spectrum, but I did purchase an awesome t-shirt by the band I didn't see. Oh well.
Most of my time was spent on the corner of 7th and Red River where Room 710 and a teeny tiny place called Headhunters sandwich an Irish bar. Headhunters is where I saw Speedealer, Hekill Three, Speedloader, Enough about the King and a great band from New Orleans called Suplex. Also wanted to see Unsane, but they were in an outdoor tent and my fucking god they were loud as fuck. Now, there's loud, and there's a-fucking-too-loud. And that was Unsane's set. Dysrhythmia, the End(Canadian band) & 27 opened up. I left halfway through Unsane's set because my ears were dripping blood.
Aside from drinking lots of Lone Star beer and digging the local bar hangout, Lovejoy's, my most favorite thing was seeing American Music Club twice. And meeting Mark Eitzel. I love this man.
Austin in March is fucking beautiful. And Thank You to Hypergrrooaarrrlll for the shit ton of music you burned for me. The Carcass and Death helped keep me awake on the long drive home through butt ugly SE New Mexico. Damn, I wish I had a Lone Star....

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2004 11:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SOUNDS LIKE SOMBODY HAD A GOOD TIME!!!

Have a beer and heal your ears.

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 23, 2004 11:37     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
unsane. now that's a band i haven't thought about for awhile, thanks for reminding me. i have their first 7". aw yeah, i love loud music.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 23, 2004 12:18     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wish I could have been there with you A.G., but glad I could help in some way More music on the way.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 23, 2004 13:48     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, sounds like you had a blast! I've seen Speedealer a few times. Good band. I have some Dysrhythmia tracks on some samplers. I'll have to go dig them up and give them a spin.

I have a friend who has relatives in San Antonio. He went to Austin on his last trip down there and really liked it. I've always wanted to see Texas too.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 23, 2004 17:06     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unsane are awesome live. i saw Suplex open up for Clutch 2 years ago and they were just "ok", i thought. i liked REO Speeddealer better live when they were REO Speeddealer...
I thought Zeke and High on Fire were playing with those bands, tho. id go just to see both of them...i need to check out American Music Club myself,too. alot of my friends went to the SXSW this year, but ive never gone (and i even used to live in Austin. me=loser)

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 23, 2004 18:49     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Zeke and High on Fire were on the same stage, in the same outdoor tent...But it's impossible to stay in one venue all night because of possibly getting stuck in some lame line at a different venue. Thankfully, I've seen High on Fire here in 'Burque a couple of times, and in fact they played here last night. I didn't make it, was feeling the effects of three days and nights of drinking, and the 10+ hours of driving to get home on Sunday. And YES, I highly recommend American Music Club to everyone. Nothing at all like Voivod, but Mark Eitzel is the best song writer ever. If you like that kind of stuff.
And seeing Mark live is something to see. He's fucking funny as hell and I never fail to end up an emotional puddle on the floor at some point during their set. Seriously, I get all choked up....it's very embarrassing.
As for Unsane, if you happen to buy their new release with the DVD called Lambhouse, our very own Albuquerque is featured in one of the live shows. Crappy footage, but I know the guy who taped the show and he's also a huge Voivod fan.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 23, 2004 19:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i know alot of people who rave about AMC, so im interested. coincidentally, my girlfriend used to live in albuquerque... she said she used to go to the dingo bar, the zone, mind over matter record store, and bow wow records when she lived there... any of that familiar?

--------------------

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 23, 2004 23:06     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
i know alot of people who rave about AMC, so im interested. coincidentally, my girlfriend used to live in albuquerque... she said she used to go to the dingo bar, the zone, mind over matter record store, and bow wow records when she lived there... any of that familiar?

yeah man, the Dingo Bar and Bow Wow Records! R.I.P.

the Dingo was a cool place to play unless you have 7 members in your band!
Bow Wow: Sniffle, sniffle...
A good friend of ours used to manage there and he is dearly missed here in Abq. Luna and Hypergrrrl, care to comment?

So Hypersis, where are my cd's???

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 24, 2004 10:25     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally got to see the CLOSED DOORS of Bow Wow Records the last time I was in town....that made me sad and isn't the Dingo Bar where we saw Nation of Ulysses years and years ago??

Hey, Cthon - was your girlfriend around back in the day when the Atomic Theater was open.....say back in 89/90? Short lived, but tons of great shows there.

Music?? I have been a total slacker on that these days, but I do have something that I think you and luna will love You'll be laughing your asses off!!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 24, 2004 10:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yar! I do know all those places mentioned and as Slugman says, Bow Wow & the Dingo Bar are no longer music staples in town. However, we now have the Launchpad, one of the better smaller clubs to see live METAL, and other music. The newest bar on the downtown scene is the Atomic Cantina. This place rules. Never any cover charge and the interior is filled with a nuclear bomb/Manhattan Project/periodic chart theme. The jukebox is good and the beer is cheap, if you support the PBR empire.
But, I prefer to support the cheap $1.50 Schlitz Empire!
And the "good Friend" Sluggy mentioned is incredibly missed by me.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 24, 2004 21:27     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hypergrrl...she lived there in 96 or 97, shes from here in south carolina basically. she read this thread and said she didnt think she knew any of you...

--------------------

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 25, 2004 11:24     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
hypergrrl...she lived there in 96 or 97, shes from here in south carolina basically. she read this thread and said she didnt think she knew any of you...

Well, she does know that our real names aren't "hypergrrl, luna and slugbutt" right?? Joking!!

Well, it looks like she spent a short time in ABQ. At least she had a chance to experience the 8th Wonder of the World - New Mexico Green Chile!! She surely must have eaten at the Frontier!!

Oh my fucking Passion of the Christ - they have a website!!!! Check out the green chile statistics

The Frontier!!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 25, 2004 13:40     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How fucking awesome is that? I never knew they had a website. Green Chile Rules.

--------------------

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 25, 2004 17:24     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh jeez! Now i have seen it all! 'A safe and clean environment?" hahahah Definately not clean! but a good place to people watch and if you like being herded around like sheep i recommend this dump.

i wish they would get rid of their John Wayne collection tho! auuugh!

chile rules!!!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 26, 2004 02:41     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you had a good time Luna.

I've only been to one South by SW before....and it sorta sucked because of the people I was with. It was back in '97....ANYWAYS

AUSTIN , TEXAS is always a cool place to hang.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 26, 2004 06:44     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my gf says she used to live down the street from Frontier on Central...and has ate there more times than she can count. shes taking me out for some tex-mex tonight, too.......word.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 26, 2004 10:05     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry you had a bad time. Maybe I had such a great time because I was by myself and didn't have to wait around for anyone else to figure out where the hell they want to go, who they want to see. I may have been to the '97 SXSW. Was that the year Iggy Pop played on the outdoor stage? That was a treat.
Slug...you're calling the Frontier a dump?!?
Why? You know, I had my dinner there last night after water aerobics and a short trip to the library. YUMMY!

C'mon, bro, you gotta love the giant John Wayne painting in the back room. And the clever Wayne portrait in the second room: pointillism with nails. Awesome.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan