my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » SACDs & DVD AUDIO discs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SACDs & DVD AUDIO discs
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 22, 2004 19:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since Porcupine Tree released In Absentia on DVD AUDIO, I had to buy a new dvd player to accomadte this format; but, damn, it is worth it!!!

If you are unfamiliar with these dvd formats, it's basically the recordings from the album re-recorded in 6.1 surround sound and the results are spectacular. To hear the complete separation and voices and music travelling around you a musical euphoria. You also need the proper receiver that will decode the dts or dvd audio signal, and of course enough speakers for the job.

I also picked up Deep Purple 'Machine Head', YES 'Fragile' & Queen 'Night At The Opera' (the Prophet's Song is mind blowing).

So I was wondering if anyone else here has gotten into this format, what do you think and what discs do you have?

There aren't an over abundance of recording to chose from, and right now I have my sights set on:
Megadeth 'Peace Sells'
COC 'America's Volume Dealer'
Satriani 'Strange Beautiful Music' + 'Engines Of Creation' + 'Crystal Planet'

There not even that easy to treack down online, but DVDPLANET (even though their site is s-l-o-w) seems to have a good selection, and Amazon & CD Quest has a few good ones also.

If anyone has any of these and can recommend titles I'm all ears(or eyes, since I can't hear you).

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
pendar
VoivodFan
Member # 409

posted March 22, 2004 23:25     Profile for pendar   Email pendar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got COC on dvd audio and would fully endorse it as one to buy , the surround mix is awesome, great subtle nuances of acoustic guitars and percussion. The only other dvd audio i have so far is Peter Green's Fleet wood Mac - live at the BBC.
It's cool to hear the three guitar attack in surround sound but the actual live recording sounds dated and leaves a bit to be desired. this one is for Green fans only.
How does the YES sound?It is on my list of "to buy". Any comments of dvd's that are good? I've got Rush in rio and Pink Floyd - live in pompeii and both are excellent.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 23, 2004 01:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listened to some of the YES 'Fragile' and can certainly say GET IT!!!
I think I'll head over to DVD Planet and do some shopping!!! COC will be in the cart.

King Crimson 'Eyes Wide Open' double dvd is great if you like their music. The cool thing about this dvd is it plays differnt improvs everytime you watch it, so it's like hearing a differnt concert each time!!! Their previous dvd 'Deja Vrooom' is also amazing and you can put any one of the 6 players in the center channel and all the others play around him. There's also a feature where you can pick different players from the bands career and listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man, as if they were playing together (example: Adrian Belew singing - Fripp/Lake/Giles rythm section - David Croos instrumentalist. Very Cool

Some of my other fav dvd concerts that have incredible sound:
Deep Purple - Bombay Calling & Austrailia '99

Dream Theater - Scenes From New York

Neil Finn - Sessions at West 54th & 7 Worlds Collide

David Gilmour - In Concert

Steve Hackett - Tokyo Tapes (all star line up)

Kansas - Device Voice Drums

Led Zepellin - double dvd with lots of concerts spanning their career

Megadeth - Rude Awakening

Metallica - S&M and Cunning Stunts (the stage destruction is cool, if you were in the audience and didn't know this was part of the act, you'd be freakin out)

Opeth - Lamentations

Overkill - Wrecking Everything (fuckin brutal and the sound is incredible)

Pearl Jam - Touring Band 2000 & The Showbox & Live at the Garden

Satriani - Live in San Francisco

Roger Waters - In The Flesh

The Who - Royal Albert Hall

YES - Symphonic Live & Keys To Ascention

I have a lot more but these are the standouts (along with the Rush 'In Rio' and Iron Maiden 'Rock In Rio' which you also mentioned.

DVDs that sound like crap and should not have been released until they got the sound right (and I was totally bummed these don't sound good):
Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
Fates Warning - Live At The Dynamo
Iron Maiden - Raising Hell
Kiss - Live In Las Vegas

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan