my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » No Means No - Live Milano 20/3/2004

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Means No - Live Milano 20/3/2004
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 22, 2004 07:50     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saturday night I and my friend went to Milano at the social centre (is it the right term?) Leoncavallo to hear the mighty No Means No.
We arrived a bit sooner so we had the chance to listen to the opening band, didn't remember the name but was an Italian trio (sax, bass and drums - no voice) who played a techno punk jazz, very skilled and fast players but after 3 or 4 songs they start to become quite boring.

At about midnight the Wright brothers and their guitarrist came on the stage and begin to play, they started with old songs , sex Mad and Rags and Bones.
The sound was quite bad at the beginning, I couldn't listen the drums, but after 2 or 3 songs it became better (I think it was the guitar who covered the other instruments).
It was funny to see these, I think at least these 50 year old mans, coming on stage and rock hard, Bob Wright seems Popeye of the cartoon to me because of his expressions...

They played for 2 hours almost with no stops, and I was very happy because they did one of my favourite songs : The River.

Unfortunately it happened a bad thing, one or more huge moron (drunken or whatever...) did some thing to Rob (I didn't see because I were near the mixer) who get very upset, first he tell his disappointment shaking his head and through the microphone between the songs, then he stopped the songs they were playing, put down the bass, go to the moron and push him away for what I could see, then when he returned to the stage said "You are a fucking moron, get lost!" very loud and clear because I understood very well.
At the end of the songs they saluted and went away very quickly, fortunately they returned soon ,I think because of Jhon who was more calm and played another 3 songs, then they go away again, after they returned for the people who were shouting "No Means No", and played another 2 or 3 songs.
From the first of these sad episode Rob never looked to the crowd while plaiyng.

They finished at about 2,10 in the morning and I returned at home at about 3,30, but except for these dickheads it was a fantastic show!!!

If they come near your city and you like good hard core-punk go to see them without esitation, but most of you already know that...

|  IP: Logged
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 22, 2004 09:47     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bet you had a great time, Helldriver. I'd love to see Nomeansno live!!

And hey, I've been to the Leon Cavallo squat when I was in Milan. I even think that D.O.A. played there short after I left the city.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 22, 2004 18:17     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NoMeandNo is one of the best out there (I love them almost as much as I love Voivod!!). Sounds like a great show despite the drunken fool......can't wait to see them again. They definitely put on some the best shows I've ever seen.....such energy on stage and in the audience. Lucky to have seen them several times.

Here is a link that had some interesting news that I didn't know about.....polling there fans for their ultimate set list!! Where the hell was I when that happened http://www.evanahon.nl/smoeff/smoeftours/nomeansno.html

Ha ha, you just gotta love a band that says, "If you would like to visit NOMEANSNO, you can't, they don't have a website cause they're assholes!"
http://www.wrongrecords.ca/

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 22, 2004 18:22     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i used to love going to see nomeansno. i can't even count the number of times i've seen that band. and i can't believe they're still out there touring after all these years.
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted March 22, 2004 18:53     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been a fan of theirs for about 15 years now, and I have never been able to see them play live.
Are they working on a new record or anything? It's hard to find these things out when they have zero web presence.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted March 22, 2004 19:29     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, since those assholes don't have a website it's hard to find info on tours and new albums. Luckily we have other sources on the internet. I came across another site that said they have pushed back their US tour to 11/04. And I also found out they just released a live DVD called "Would We Be...Live?"!! Shit, I missed that one too and have just put it on order. Cannot wait to see this!!

Yup NIA, these old farts fucking rock!!
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=2V1EAI4RHT&ean=827657001194&FRM=0

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted March 23, 2004 02:54     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hypergrrl I completely forgot they were releasing a live DVD. Thanks for the reminder!

The only live footage I have seen of them was a webcast thing from a Chicago show. The quality was so bad it was unwatchable.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 23, 2004 04:22     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NMN DVD!? Awesome. I am all over that one.

Here are some good NMN sites: (what's left, anyway)

http://home.golden.net/~weboett/
http://www.no-means-no.de/
http://tinyurl.com/3ysak

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 23, 2004 07:41     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes it was great time and although they may be lightly overweight, with white hair and a principle of bold they spread great energy by their music, there was a huge mosh in front of the stage!

Did anyone noticed how many concerts they do in italy? I guess it may concern Italian food...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan