my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Gotta love living in small towns

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gotta love living in small towns
VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted March 07, 2004 21:37     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SIDHARTHA BANERJEE
The Gazette

Châteauguay River bursts banks
Two major ice jams. About 30 buildings flooded, at least 16 people homeless

The Châteauguay River burst its banks yesterday afternoon, causing major flooding in about 30 properties in this town south of Montreal.

At least 16 people were left homeless and the river remained under surveillance last night.

At last count, 24 other homes bordering the river were considered at risk.

Mild and rainy weather in the past week are responsible for at least two major ice jams on the river, near Lac St. Louis.

Water levels rose rapidly yesterday by about 15 centimetres by noon. Large chunks of ice, some as thick as 60 centimetres, slammed through chain-link fences while water swallowed driveways and took refuge in basements.

Last week, the city of Châteauguay advised residents who live near the river to make sure their sump pumps work, their eavestroughs are clean and that there is proper drainage near their homes.

But no one was prepared for the rush of water caused by the overflowing banks.

The water flooded a life-insurance business owned by Carol Faust's father, near the intersection of Salaberry Blvd. and Bouthellier St., next to the Arthur Laberge Bridge.

Documents were floating in water that had crept up to the top of the basement stairs.

"The cleaning lady passed by at 8:30 a.m. and there was nothing. My husband came by at 11 and the flooding was already very heavy," Faust said yesterday as her son and friends loaded a moving van with paper files and computers.

"We're a little concerned about what will happen when the ice gets going again, whether it will take some of the house with it," said Faust, as they tried to get everything off the floor while the river knocked at the back door of the building.

Her father, in Florida on vacation, was calling all day to keep up to date on what was going on with his business.

"We've been here for 45 years and it's an old building. I've never seen anything like this," Faust said.

Many streets were flooded, but city crews erected security walls using dirt. The flooded area is bordered by Salaberry and D'Youville Blvds. which remained closed to traffic.

Meanwhile, a floating backhoe, or "grenouille," as it is called in French, was on the water last night moving slush and breaking up ice.

A Canadian Coast Guard hovercraft was also on the ice Friday, a week earlier than usual, trying to get the river flowing freely again.

An emergency shelter was set up at the Harmony School on Brahms Ave., but as of last night no one had used it. Residents were told to ready themselves to leave their homes if necessary.

Luckily for me, it's nowhere near my house but my brother's not so fortunate. His huge backyard is now a huge pool.

They apparently built some blockades up the river in two other towns because the flow is too big. Wish I had a camera...

--------------------

Oh my god, space aliens! Don't eat me. I have a wife and kids. Eat them!
-Homer Simpson

|  IP: Logged
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 09, 2004 23:26     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eeek! Here come the Earth changes, and the end of the Mayan calendar is only 8 yrs. away. Could the return of Planet X be in our future??

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 17, 2004 03:07     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doesn't Testament have a song about 2012? Magma is supposed to bust through the Earth or something. It's on "The Gathering". Three days of darkness.

Someone told me all points of time continuum will come to a head in 2012, essentially creating a portal in which time travel can occur.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan