my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » X-D's patented Rrröööaaarrr thread

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: X-D's patented Rrröööaaarrr thread
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 04, 2004 16:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Just reading Knickerzohnonnof's comments about the new album in the "One year on..." thread and he mentions Rrroooaaarrr as one of his top 3 Voivod albums, along with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. This got me wondering... hmmmmmm....

I am of the opinion that Rrroooaaarr is unquestionably one of the heaviest, meanest, dirtiest, most oil-slicked, black-smoke emitting recordings ever put to tape. I also believe that this record is truly a Voivod classic and one of the band's early defining moments in the world of metal.

What do you all think of this record?

How often do you play this puppy? Where were you when you first heard it? Have you ever listened to it on acid? How do you rate it among the rest of Voivod's catalog?(because I rate it pretty high)... Why does the band totally ignore this record for live shows? Do you think it sucks? Opinions?

Edit: yes, my questioning is a jumbled mess. Too muchy coffee today.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 04, 2004 18:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've bought EVERY Voivod album when they first came out (as soon as I could find them) since a good friend of mine was into them through the underground tapes of the 80's and I cherished his opinion on music. I've never enjoyed vocals that are not easy to understand, but I thought the music was brilliant and once Killing Tech came out I though Snake was on the right path to making the band stand head & shoulder above all other thrash acts of the time, and then when Dim Hatross was released that sealed the deal and made them GODS in my ears!!!
I don't listen to RRROOOAAARRR very often, but think of it as an early step in the bands evolution.

PS: NO ACID

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 04, 2004 19:01     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everyone here can just "fuck off and die"

my order: (with snake) NF, AR, DH, KT, RR, TOL, VV.

I know this might sound blasphemous, but I've NEVER listened to W&P before!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 04, 2004 19:03     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you can't patent rrroooaaarrr or a topic. can you? heh.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 04, 2004 20:13     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
you can't patent rrroooaaarrr or a topic. can you? heh.

Perhaps not in the real world but, Ehem... faulty logic never stopped anybody.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted March 04, 2004 21:15     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know this is not their best musical achievement but I love this album for the pure energy and anger it provided, and especially since I'm on the Thanks list
Honestly, I dig it 'cos it refer to the best Voivod period alongside with KT.

• The Metal Blade saga
  • The moving from Jonquiere to Montreal
  • First US gig
  • Signing w/Noise
  • Recording session in Germany
  • First European tour
  • The WWIII festival
  • The NoSpeedLimit week-end
  • Maurice Richard's Rockatak as manager
  • Johnny Hart as IronGang president
  • etc...
That's why Rrroooaaarrr and KT mean so much for me, soooooo many good memories during that period of time!

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted March 04, 2004 22:42     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The album is good, but I wouldn't say it was one of their bests. But what can I say? I probly wasn't even born when this album was out.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 05, 2004 00:10     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The General has a lot of time on his hands today at work....LOL! Hey man, like do something important and respond to my email. Ok, maybe you re not that bored...

And uhhhh I ve never listened to Roar before except via bootleg vhs. Not really my cup of tea but fuck Blacky looked cool.

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted March 05, 2004 01:17     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Va¢ärmeS:
  • The moving from Jonquiere to Montreal
    [/QB]
  • NOOOOOOOO !!!!

Hehehehe, no seriously it was a GREAT move! And for the album I say the same thing as X-D!

Tangento
    VoivodFan
    Member # 117

posted March 05, 2004 02:53     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I hold a place in my heart for this one, mostly because of fucking KORGULL. That was the first song I heard by this band, and from that point on I was totally LOCKED IN for the release of KT, because I KNEW it would be something totally new and fucking unbelievable. Korgull was the first sign of great things to come. Othwerwise, I have not owned or sat & listened to this album in many years. I'm sure I'll buy & listen to it again someday soon. BTW, your patent kicks ASS, X-D.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

The Neverman
    VoivodFan
    Member # 4

posted March 05, 2004 03:16     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    yep, my first "contact" with the 'Vod, back in march of '86... ouch! listened to it at the record store but I must say that I found it a tad too heavy at the time he he... didn't buy it... when I returned 2 days later, the 2 copies there were unfortunately sold :-(
    needless to say I grabbed KT without an hesitation when I saw it one yr later...
    go figure, I had to wait until mid '88 to finally find a copy, imported from Germany, which cost me about 150 french francs back then, more than twice the price of a new LP... no remorse...
    I am listening to it every now and then, last time was a couple weeks ago, next time will be tonight (9 am here)... it is not my favourite though (DH, KT, W&P, NF, AR)...
    and er, no acid for me either, thanks!

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
    what do you mean?

Helldriver
    VoivodFan
    Member # 46

posted March 05, 2004 07:34     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by LEGION:
    I know this might sound blasphemous, but I've NEVER listened to W&P before!

Hey Legion (shame on you) soon you'll have the chance to fill this big hole with a remastered version...

My first Voivod album was KT and then I buy the first 2 (don't remember in wich order).

I think the description of X-D fits very well but I'd like very much to hear a remastered-revisited version of this record because although it has very great moment maybe the whole album is too dirt to the listen (If I remember correctly they recorded roar in emergency, like stolen equipement...).

I think this fact decreased the real value of these fantastics songs, in my opinion Roar is just below KT DH NF WP VV and I don't listen to it very often ; never did acid too.

May I ask to Va¢ärmeS why he is on the thanks list?

h
    VoivodFan
    Member # 8

posted March 05, 2004 07:44     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I can't remember the last time I listened to rrroooaaarrr. It's been a while. I'll have to dust it off and have a blast. Whenever I need a Voivod fix, I usually reach for DH, then NF, KT, AR, TOL or Phobos. It's like going into a new bar. You start with the best ales then move onto the rougher stuff for experimental purposes. It's all good though!
    Skul
    VoivodFan
    Member # 19

posted March 05, 2004 08:53     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Sir X-D pretty much nailed it in his description of Rrroooaaarrr. It sounds like the cover, and it looks just like it sounds. Nuff said.

I got it sometime in the fall of '87. I borrowed it off a friend of mine at the time, so the first time i heard it (not counting the Ripping Headaches video that i've seen on Muchmusic a few times by that point) was on the bus on my way home from the polyvalente, one afternoon. Matter of fact, I kept that cassette and never brought it back. Later i bought the LP... then a few years ago, the cd.

When i feel like putting on a VV cd, it's usually RRRoooaaarrr first, then KT or DH. Have i listened to it on acid? No, but i did listen to it on everything else

Definately one of my top favorite records of all time, if only for the brutality.

I last heard it this morning while typing this.

Side-note: Varcarmes is on the thanks list as a member of the Iron Gang.

neutrino
    VoivodFan
    Member # 22

posted March 05, 2004 12:30     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    When AR came out, it wasn't what I expected so I gave a try to older releases; found RR for less than 50 fr. francs, but it sounded really horrible, all flat and noisy. So I thought this album was crap, played it maybe 5 times in years.
    Much later I realized it was my copy...
    I guess the vinyl was compressed while stored / transported and the groove was damaged.

Also my tastes have changed, now I like this album a lot - especially as I haven't played it as much as the others...
    Probably my favorite after KT/DH/NF.

Last played on sunday, and now

guidon
    VoivodFan
    Member # 137

posted March 05, 2004 12:49     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    The album is special cuz Korgull and Ripping Headaches were the first Voivod-tunes I ever heard on tape about 15 years ago. Liked them ever since...
    Slaytanic
    VoivodFan
    Member # 28

posted March 05, 2004 12:52     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Rrröööaaarrr was my first contact with Voivod, back in '87. I hated it so much that the next time I would care to listen to Voivod was in '89, when Nothingface came out. Bought the album for collection purposes only, never listened to it again until recently, when, after several pro-Roar posts right here, I bought it used (CD) at Mercado Livre (brazilian E-Bay) for a spectacularly low price and, y'know what? I like it a lot, to the point that it is frequently my first choice as well when I want to kick some Voivod. Nothingface will still (and forever, probably) remain as my favourite VV album, but Roar climbed several positions in my personal list and is nowadays second in line. At least until the next time I listen to Hatröss...

Now to XD's questions:

How often do you play this puppy?
    Regularly. I was listening to it just the day before yesterday.

Where were you when you first heard it?
    I was at a friend's.

Have you ever listened to it on acid?
    The highest I listen to a record is on chocolate, but I don't really think that counts, so, nope.

How do you rate it among the rest of Voivod's catalog?
    Second.

Why does the band totally ignore this record for live shows?
    Because, after years playing Until It Sleeps, Jasonic forgot what's heavy, what's metal.

Do you think it sucks?
    Used to, not anymore.

Opinions?
    Dirty and aggresive.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mr Eddy
    VoivodFan
    Member # 302

posted March 05, 2004 14:06     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by neutrino:
    When AR came out, it wasn't what I expected so I gave a try to older releases; found RR for less than 50 fr. francs, but it sounded really horrible, all flat and noisy. So I thought this album was crap, played it maybe 5 times in years.
    Much later I realized it was my copy...

Does it mean that I should give this record another try?? Well, like most of you I first heard Rrröööaaarrr around '86, but I found it too noisy. When KT came out I was immediately hooked. And the rest is history: DH, NF, AR, TOL...

Being my compatriot, Slaytanic may be familiar to the crappy Woodstock Records' Rrröööaaarrr bootleg. Remember this one, man??
    It was roughly cut and pressed and, guess what??, that's the copy I own.
    Judging by the comments posted by Neutrino, I might as well get this fucker on CD.

As for my favorites, there it goes: DH, AR, NF, TOL, KT and VV.

Underbrain
    VoivodFan
    Member # 183

posted March 05, 2004 16:27     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    Waiter... I'll take three drops on a sugar cube, please.

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
    \m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

Slaytanic
    VoivodFan
    Member # 28

posted March 05, 2004 17:08     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
    Being my compatriot, Slaytanic may be familiar to the crappy Woodstock Records' Rrröööaaarrr bootleg. Remember this one, man??
    It was roughly cut and pressed and, guess what??, that's the copy I own.
    Judging by the comments posted by Neutrino, I might as well get this fucker on CD.

Believe it or not, Ed, that piece of crap is NOT a boot. My vinyl version is an import from Germany, the difference is blatant.

Go and get a copy on CD and, maybe, change your mind on Roar.

\m/

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Juan87
    VoivodFan
    Member # 87

posted March 17, 2004 02:59     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
    I didn't buy ROAR! until 5 years after I started listening to 'Vod. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know it existed, as well as War and Pain. I thought KT was their first one because I never saw the other two. The only reason I got W & P is because it was re-released in '94. Anyways...

I like the way ROAR! sounds. It's sorta scrapy (not scrappy, scrapy). Thrashing Rage, Ripping Headaches, Helldriver, Horror, Korgull the Ext. were my faves. Now I like all the songs.

Do any of you hear the sound of breaking glass during "Build Your Weapons" at the end of the chorus?
    I have listened to VV on acid many times in the past, but not in 8 years. The fucked up drums in "Korgull" actually sent me on a bad trip once. I used to trip to Nothingface and DH all the time. I don't have the time to screw off like that anymore...Let's just say I used to make it a point to listen to Voivod while frying. Acid can actually make you sorta stupid when you AREN'T on it. It fogs your head up, makes you very apathetic and withdrawn. Shit sure was funny though!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan