my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » One year on... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: One year on...
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 06, 2004 09:44     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and as a kinda related aside, I really would have preferred it if H's Collapse demos really were "The Multiverse". Oh well.
 |  IP: Logged
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 06, 2004 20:12     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
I gave it 8 of 10 on the Voivod scale

Same with me. 8 out of 10. Can't wait for the next record!!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 07, 2004 01:46     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like Snake's vocals at all. They're actually pretty "weak" sounding, imho.

It would be cool for him to bring back the harshness of Roar, and the "singing-style" of DH.

but I don't think so.

What is up with aging and singing anyway? Even Warrior's vox have slumped BIGTIME since "ITP" (although "Probe" sounds promising if it ever happens to see the light of day)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 07, 2004 10:36     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked it when it first came out. I played it quite a lot in the beginning. But after repeated listenings some of the songs lost their impact. I haven't listened to it for months now. This whole album gives me the feeling something's missing.

It's decent, but that 'missing' thing would have made it great. Or was I just expecting too much?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted March 07, 2004 11:53     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I honestly think that "missing" thing was the production.
It sounds great- no question about that- but there is no variety between songs. The sound set on Gasmask continues throughout until We Carry On.
Pretty much Dry Vocal/Tracked Guitars/Bass/Drums and hardly any special effects/odd sounds which for me are a massive part of Voivod. Not many lead breaks or off kilter harmonies either.(Divine Sun- Chorus hits the spot however.)
Phobos had the track with the accordian (TEMPS MORT) to break things up alongside little touches like the "kraftwerk' vox on PHOBOS and the small interludes.
Angel Rat- sea sounds on The Prow- Different vocal effect on Golem.
NothingFace- Accordian on Unknown Knows etc...
I know these are only small details but they really break up an album and make individual tracks stand out.
Even so i still think the album is pretty hot- a good percentage of cool songs,plus a couple of real corkers that would grace any compilation tape and LOADS of great riffs.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 07, 2004 12:38     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by disneysdreamdebased:
hardly any special effects/odd sounds which for me are a massive part of Voivod.
I know these are only small details but they really break up an album and make individual tracks stand out..

they're on the new cd, they are just more subtle such as on 'real again'

the multiverse to me represents RAW DRIVING FORCE of VoiVod, i disagree with a few others because theres nothing i really do not like about it. voivod afterall is a METAL band, not a techno band. i always thought the sparing use of the effects thingys is part of what makes it very original.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 08, 2004 05:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Oh, and as a kinda related aside, I really would have preferred it if H's Collapse demos really were "The Multiverse". Oh well.

Maybe they should get a second guitarist for the next album. I know a volunteer!!
On a more serious note - some of that Collapse stuff may well be resurfacing soon.....

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan