my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » One year on... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: One year on...
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 04, 2004 09:44     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We've lived with the 13th album for a whole year now (don't time fly). Anyone changed thier opinion on it? Has it got better/worse with time? Personally I think tracks 6-12 would have made a belter of an ep! What say you?
 |  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 04, 2004 09:48     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dunno. Actually, I still haven't bought it. Imports are highly expensive here nowadays.

I like what I heard so far, BTW, but I agree it's not their best work. IMHO, they should have maintained that heavier/experimental vein of Phobos, but then, what do I know?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 04, 2004 09:55     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listened to it a couple of times after buying it, but haven't really cared to listen to it since. Not bad, but not great 'Voivod'. I still think the second half of the album is far better than the first half, but it doesn't do it for me like their previous stuff. I think I'd actually want to hear their next songs before buying the next album, which wasn't true of any other release by them.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 04, 2004 10:00     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Slay, and let's hope that the next album perpetuate that heavy/trippy/experimentippy feel that Phobos had.

I like the Black alb... er... I mean the s/t album, but I find Phobos more challenging and richer.

I also think some tracks are a little weak (no bad, just not as good as they should be), like Reactor, which sounds like a b-side, and Blame Us, which gets dull and repetitive.

All in all, I like it, but get tired of it more quickly than, say, Nothingface.

Still, Snake rules!

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 04, 2004 11:02     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
I also think some tracks are a little weak (no bad, just not as good as they should be), like Reactor, which sounds like a b-side, and Blame Us, which gets dull and repetitive.

All in all, I like it, but get tired of it more quickly than, say, Nothingface.

Still, Snake rules!

Well put, Maldorroaarr. I also think that these 2 tracks are the weakest of the lot, but most of the other songs do rock (Gasmask Revival, Facing Up, Real Again?, Multiverse, I Don't Wanna Wake Up and We Carry On).

If you listen to the s/t and, let's say, The Outer Limits, side to side, you'd notice that the newest record lacks of guitar solos and experimental stuff. But, all in all, it's a fine album. I give it 8 out of 10.

Snake rules alright.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 04, 2004 11:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't listened to it in months. I liked it a lot when it came out, but since then I've gotten into a lot of different things as well, and would say I'm more sure of where my taste lies now. I still quite like it, it has some good songs on it, but it's not quite up to the standard of the others. I'd actually venture to say that in quite a few parts it doesn't really sound much like VV, aside form Piggy's chords. It's alright, but I'd much rather listen to Killing Technology or Dimension Hatross. Or War and pain. Or Rrroooaaarrr. Or Phobos. Or Negatron...
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 04, 2004 11:59     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula:
Away was right 100%.
This is VOIVODHATER.com

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 04, 2004 12:57     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I havent listened to it in months, probably since last summer. I think i'll give it another spin soon, as there are quite a few tracks that i like. I just dont like the last few songs on it. I certainly loved it when i first heard it, but it didnt have that lasting impact that the older records had. So a few months in, I got bored with it.

As for the next record, I dont have any expectations about it... except maybe that they do a much better record as a whole.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 04, 2004 13:30     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm patiently awaiting for "Nothingface on steroids". I as well have not listened to the s/t disk in a long time. It just doesn't have the staying power of their classic stuff like..

ANGEL RAT!
Still love that album! Still love the band!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 04, 2004 13:55     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't say I spin this one all that often either... There are many songs I really like on the album, but it doesn't suck me into a trancelike state like most of the previous albums do. I do like it better than Angel Rat... but I actually like the lyrical content of Angel Rat much more. Some parts of the record are brilliant, and others are pedestrian. I dunno, it's an average record I guess, and not one of Voivod's best by any means.

I may have to dig 'er out and play it again this afternoon.

I do have to say I've been more impressed with Eric Forrest's recorded output since he and Voivod parted ways. The Project: Failing Flesh cd was amazing as was the totally thrashing E-Force album, both in my top 5 of last year's releases.

As a longtime fan of Voivod, I have learned never to take my eye off the band as one can never tell when they will kick you in the nuts... So, I'll continue to buy anything and everything they release until the end. I'm a true hater!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 04, 2004 14:22     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
ANGEL RAT!
Still love that album! Still love the band!

IMHO, Angel Rat is a masterpiece. I must be one of the few Voivodians around here that like the official album better than the demo tracks.
Top-notch production, superb songwriting, great lyrics...I like everything about that record. Okay, now you can delete my account here...

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 04, 2004 15:28     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One whole year, well, happy new year folks. Let's start a new holiday. I rather like the 13th cd, but I haven't listened to it recently and I did over play it the first 3-6 months after its release. I still have photos of myself and the dudes, but am totally computer illiterate and do not know how to scan, post, send, or whatever it is one does to get photos on this forum.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted March 04, 2004 15:52     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The s/t album is good, but not great.

My personal feeling is that it doesn't grab you like Dimension Hatross does, in my opinion this is still Voivod's greatest achievement, possibly one of the greatest albums of the metal genre.

However I do prefer the s/t to much of the output since then. I am an 80's Voivod fan. Since DH most Voivod releases have been sporadic in my view. Some great tracks but lacking the killer touch of the magic three albums (RRROOOAAARRR, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross). Angel Rat still ranks as their weakest effort to date IMO, and they seem to have learned from this. I do hope that they rediscover the ability to write tracks like Cosmic Drama, Tornado or Thrashing Rage. An album full of the anger, drive and sheer writing talent that made these and the other tracks contained within the classic three albums such a pleasure to listen to would be most welcome to me.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 04, 2004 16:26     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
The s/t album is good, but not great.

My thoughts exactly.

The 3 song sampler had me hooked, but then I got the album and...I was a bit disappointed. Mostly coz of the lack of Piggy's awesome solos.

Strange And Ironic still bugs me - I can't stand the way the title is sung.

It's my least favorite of their catalogue.

disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted March 04, 2004 17:40     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked it then and i like it now.
Pretty solid album- not PERFECT but no disgrace by any means- some real standouts.
DIVINE SUN/GASMASK REVIVAL/THE MULTIVERSE/WE CARRY ON... the rest is at least good with only a couple of let downs- i agree that the 2nd half really starts to cook.
It stands alongside the back catalogue no problem.
The production was a little one dimensional with no variety- not really what you want for the most Three...no Five dimensional of bands!
I play it more than THE OUTER LIMITS/NEGATRON it's about tied with PHOBOS- i do think they should do an all out double album length psychedelic mindf*ck for the next one PHOBOS meets the last album.<P>

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 04, 2004 18:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta say I still love this album, it rocks, grooves, kicks ass, lots of hooks, it's fun!!!

THERE'S MAYBE ONE OR TWO TRACKS THAT COULD BE REPLACED BUT I STILL PLAY THE CD A LOT WHEN DRIVING AROUND (VERY LOUD).

Hell if Snakes singing on something the way he's been singing since Dimension Hatross, I'll buy it and play the shit out of it. I agree with a lot of the comments made here, but the first thing I listen for is great vocals, and Belanger is in my top 5 voices. I play the hell out of the Union Made stuff because of his singing. Yea, some of the lyrics are a bit corny but Snakes is da man!!!

I'm hoping for something different from the new album, more challenging.

--------------------

yawn

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted March 04, 2004 18:53     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good but far from Dimension Hatross or Nothingface.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 05, 2004 00:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually lost my copy right after buying it. Sucks cause I did like one tune on there DIVINE SUN. As far the others.....Ugh!
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted March 05, 2004 01:01     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I come at this from a slightly different perspective than most of you, as this was my introduction to Voivod. Personally, I was completely hypnotized/entranced/whatever you want to call it by this album...I was compelled to go out and find everything else they'd ever done AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Which wasn't that quick, actually. Apparently I managed to completely skip Rrroooaaarrr. Either that or I have lost it. I will remedy that little problem asap.

Back to topic - now that I've got a broader perspective, this last album is no longer my favorite. Killing Technology has taken that spot, most days anyway. But I still really like this album, and the only reason I don't listen to it more often is because I have so much new stuff to listen to. Give me another year or so and I'll have to change my sig!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted March 05, 2004 02:15     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright, good subject here.

I like the s/t album too. I was affraid with the promo, I was surprised by the more punk rock song like Gasmask and We carry on. The songs on the promo really came out better live.

Here I go song by song.

Gasmask a good straight ahead song . Play it loud ... good, far from typical Voivod but it works great. I'm no more a good citizen....

Facing Up : it's one that I like the less, it king of drag in lenght espacially the opening riff. The lyrics are cool and actual. I don't skip it, ok but not much.

Blame Us : I like it, a good one. The second part of the song is fucking great. Thats Voivod .... The lyric,the song evolve ... great. Hell I'm rediscovering this album as I write this. The end is kind of post nuclear.

Real Again : Here come the rock again. Cool lyrics about the band. Honest song but not my favorite by far.

Rebel Robot : At first I was bugged when I heard it on the promo, I can't really spot why. It sound better live, heavier. Good but not that much IMO.

The Multiverse : Hell yeah !!!! Pure Voivod trippy song. It make me wanna plug my microwave with my computer. Weird riff, heavy, Snake on top of his game. One of my favorite. A classic !!! Worth the cost of the album.

I don't want to wake up : really diverse song, surprising, I like it. I never thought I could here ooooooooouuuuuhhhh in a Voivod song. Cool song, honest good riff. More rock again but works great. Good but not a smash it you'll kill to hear live.

Les Cigares Volant : well, even if I like to get high more often than your average neighbor to say the least, I don't dig that song that much. One of the weakest of the record IMO. Not so bad, but well....

Divine Sun : really good song, one of my favorite on the records. Pure Voivod. Good mood, great !! Cosmic Coincidence !!!

Reactor : one of the more up-tempo of the record. One of the most metallic too. But far from my favorite. Ok but not much.

Invisible Planet : Ho yeah, I really dig it. It got a saturday morning sci-fi animated serie vibe. Ostie de bonne toune. I don't know if it got someting to do with Capitain Future (Capitaine Flam in french) because there is an episode about an invisible planet. A classic in IMO, make me happy everytime I hear it. Heavy too. Great !!! This is Voivod mark III !!!

Strange and Ironic : great, heavy, weird. Great lyrics, one of the top too. Hell yeah, they are on fire.

We carry on : The more pop-punk rock side of Voivod. It works good. It really suprised me at first. I think that their rock song works better than on any other Voivod record. Not typical Voivod here.. I like it but I think that those rock are less original material, other band can do stuff like that. But just to contratic myself I like We are not Alone on the Outer Limits alot.

So overall an unequal album, with some true gems and some more adverage and it's a really HONEST one.

I think the quality of the holy trinity of Voivod album IMO : Killing Technology, Dimension Hatros and Nothingface is that the album is a whole, their is a sense of unity. Not just a collection of songs.

One thing for sure is that they have not lost me as a fan with the S/T, I'll be the first in row to buy the next one and hell I have just written my longest post ever !!!

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 05, 2004 02:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like parts of the album, but it just lacks some of the 'magic of old'. And to me, 'magic of old' means HIDEOUS chords and blistering solos from Piggy, along with bizarre phrasing, off-kilter structuring and the sense that you have been TRANSPORTED TO ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME. I just hope they still understand all of this.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 05, 2004 02:53     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
I come at this from a slightly different perspective than most of you, as this was my introduction to Voivod. Personally, I was completely hypnotized/entranced/whatever you want to call it by this album...I was compelled to go out and find everything else they'd ever done AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Which wasn't that quick, actually...................

Back to topic - now that I've got a broader perspective, this last album is no longer my favorite....... I still really like this album, and the only reason I don't listen to it more often is because I have so much new stuff to listen to. Give me another year or so and I'll have to change my sig!

This is very lazy of me to just quote Meg, but I'm in the same situation. I still don't know what my favorite album is going to be.
I have a special "relation" to AngelRat because I was told it was hard to find.... Where did I find it.... Here in town in a little second hand shop! The fact that AR was my second Voivod album made me very attached to it......

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 05, 2004 03:22     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
Divine Sun : really good song, one of my favorite on the records. Pure Voivod. Good mood, great !! Cosmic Coincidence !!!

Invisible Planet : Ho yeah, I really dig it. It got a saturday morning sci-fi animated serie vibe. Ostie de bonne toune. I don't know if it got someting to do with Capitain Future (Capitaine Flam in french) because there is an episode about an invisible planet. A classic in IMO, make me happy everytime I hear it. Heavy too. Great !!! This is Voivod mark III !!!

Strange and Ironic : great, heavy, weird. Great lyrics, one of the top too. Hell yeah, they are on fire.

need more be said? not for me anyway...
those are my 3 favourites from the album, oh, and you may find it strange and ironic but I listend to it yesterday in the car...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 05, 2004 07:48     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Syl Disjonk here (good description-evaluation) except :

1) Real Again and Rebel Robot that I like very much.
2) I liked the demo when it was released
3) I never listen to it live...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted March 06, 2004 09:13     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems Syl D.'s mind is operating in the same dimension as mine...I couldn't agree more with your opinion of the tracks!

I must add one thing, though. Snake's singing is too much on the surface at places, and sometimes it bugs me. Yeah, it's an old gripe but I had to mention it. Otherwise the album sounds GREAT IMO. I gave it 8 of 10 on the Voivod scale when it was released, now I'd probably rate it the same.

Mind you, if I compared the album to other metal music that I heard over the year and didn't take VV's earlier albums into account, I'd give it at least 9.5 out of ten. IT STILL ROCKS! \m/

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan