my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » what is exactly ment by "remastering"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is exactly ment by "remastering"
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 25, 2004 09:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What does a band do when their work undergoes remastering? I mean: do they play it over, or just tape it again with modern technology?? Is it a work that can be done over a daytime then??

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 25, 2004 09:24     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mostly it involves taking the tapes that contain the original recording and boosting certain frequencies. This is usually used to fatten up the sound and make stuff sound bigger. There's plenty of other tricks involved, but that's the basics. There's rarely any re-recording going on.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 25, 2004 09:27     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A true remastering is to take the original tapes and master them again. The mastering process involves taking the final mix of an album and giving it the final equalization, expanding, compressing and basically "tweaking".

Here's a cool thing on mastering:
http://www.excessprophets.com/faqs/mastering.htm

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 25, 2004 10:08     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
h, ya beat me to it!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted February 25, 2004 11:02     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally, I like DH and NF the way they are. I'd like to hear remasters on the rest though. Angel Rat probably needs it the most!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 25, 2004 11:07     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Imagine if Voivod re-recorded Killing Technology and also remastered the original in a 2 CD set including the KT demos! WOW.

I heard that the Killing Technology demos exist in some old tape format, I forgot exactly, but it was mentioned in the chat by blacky a while ago. Very expensive to convert.

That would be the best way to release them - the demos on one CD and the remasters on another. Not just a bunch of live bonus tracks - that's lame.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 25, 2004 12:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
There's rarely any re-recording going on.

Hehe, except if you're Ozzy Osbourne!

I have the DH tape, and I always thought that it sounded "thin", like "rrsshhhhhh", you know? So that would be good to have a remaster of that.

And for Angel Rat, well, just picture a 3-CD boxset that would go like this:
CD1-Original album remastered
CD2-Demo
CD3-The Debrowned mix

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 25, 2004 14:34     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a remaster of Death's Spiritual Healing on vinyl and compared to my extremely well played original it sucks. Far too thin with almost all the bass weight removed...why did they do that?!?!?

I liked the sound of DH and NF too, these two did shine on LP compared to CD. I wouldn't like to see any remastering done to those personally.

But KT does need tweaking IMO. On vinyl the sound is very peaky in the upper midrange and though the bass is there it is somewhat overshaowed by the dominance of the very peaky mid band. On some of my older systems this renderd it almost unlistenable. Not so today, well If a Linn Sondek can't make a good fist of it nothing will!! WC's idea about a 2 CD set of KT including the demos...Oh yes please, but it'd be nice to have it on LP too!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 25, 2004 14:57     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, most importantly I think, re-mastering means "bringing up" the recording levels compared to the original. (burning it hot!!!) I can't tell you how shitty it is for me to make a comp.(compilation ) of a favorite band, and have each disc vary with its output levels! Kreator is a good example of this.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 25, 2004 16:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anything put out by Noise in the 80's is cheaply mastered and reproduced. Very unfortunate as some of the best thrash bands of the era were signed with them... Voivod, Kreator, Coroner, and Celtic Frost all suffered from Noise's 'corner-cutting'. At least CF got some good treatment later on... not expecting anything from Voivod or Coroner. Maybe Kreator though. Mille's a pretty pro-active kinda guy.

I am also pretty happy with my copies (both vinyl & cd) of Rrroooaaarr, Hatross and especially Nothingface, which I think is actually perfect. But Killing Technology needs some work bad... and it's one of Voivod's BEST! Including the original demos and some Iron Gang recordings for bonus material would be great!

The MCA releases, Angel Rat & Outer Limits will probably never even get re-issued, much less re-mastered and/or expanded. Those were considered commercial failures and are history unless Newsted buys 'em for a special Chophouse release or something.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 25, 2004 19:08     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it is a hard call for me about DH, i am very used to the original. i think NF and anything after really dont need it. the only reason i would call for it on DH is so i could get those 'SUBWOOFER' frequencies in my car . NF and after get pretty "down-there" with the bass allready,
'on most of the systems i have had'.

i know that may sound strange me talking about BASs (boomboom) on a voivod site, but i play the right kind of music on my system... lol

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted February 25, 2004 20:58     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
i know that may sound strange me talking about BASs (boomboom) on a voivod site

Hey, there's NOTHING wrong talking 'bout some good 'ol ass-kicking low end!!! I just wish that half of the fuckers who drive around with a killer system would at least put in some decent fucking music, instead of that commercial rap/r&b bullshit!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 25, 2004 22:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems I always LOVE the commercial failures of bands!!!
Angel Rat & The Outer Limits are GOD-LIKE in my opinion. I also think YES's DRAMA and PINK FLOYD's The Final Cut were among the top 2 by those bands, and both were flops compared to their big sellers. Then again most bands I like a lot aren't really huge commercial success stories.

I love hearing demos of songs as bonus tracks, to get an idea of the evolution of an idea, lyrically and musically, it's very interesting to me to listen to how things started out and how they ended up.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 26, 2004 13:55     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
[QB]Hehe, except if you're Ozzy Osbourne!

Yeah. what's up with Blizzard Of Ozz? I recently bought the remastered version and noticed Kerslake and Daisley names were omitted from the song writing credits. Is it true Ozzy re-recorded their parts with Trujillo and Bordin? If you listen closely enough there is a difference in tone with the bass and drums.

Anyhoo, personally I'd like to hear all of Voivod's cd's re-mastered. E.q.'d and much louder! With bonus demos!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 26, 2004 17:53     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
[QB]

Yeah. what's up with Blizzard Of Ozz? I recently bought the remastered version and noticed Kerslake and Daisley names were omitted from the song writing credits. Is it true Ozzy re-recorded their parts with Trujillo and Bordin? If you listen closely enough there is a difference in tone with the bass and drums.

You bet. They re-recorded the bass and drums for that set of remasters.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 26, 2004 19:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
what is your opinion of "Cold Lake"?

I was never a huge Celtic Frost fan, but when it came out and I heard it, I thought it was a commercial sellout, and figured the lable had something to do with it. Compared to what they previously put out, Cold Lake a a big side step. Just like RAVEN's and SAVATAGE's first release for Atlantic... total commercial attempts and totally NOT the band being the band they were before getting the big deal. But money talks and they were doing what they were told, and everyone learned a valuable lesson from it.

Angel Rat (production aside) was an evolutionary move for a band like Voivod who I expected to change and try different things, rather than staying with the same formula. That's why I've always thought of them as the metal version of King Crimson. I can't give a bigger compliment than that.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan