my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Your favorite/least favorite "Tribute" Album or Cover Song, then.....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your favorite/least favorite "Tribute" Album or Cover Song, then.....
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 10, 2004 12:12     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't have one, but this could become someone's favorite!! I kind of like the Iron Man, but I wish I could here more than a few minutes! Maybe someone here has a review?

What will they come up with next?!?!?

Wait, wait....I found this:

Bark At The Moon

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 10, 2004 13:12     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The one that is going to SUCK worse than a cheap whore is the tribute to Death that is being worked on. CKY? Slipknot? What the fuck? Someone fucking kill me, please. Or, better yet, kill them.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 10, 2004 14:24     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't see Slipknot as the cancer some of you consider. On the other hand, I'm not dying to hear this Death tribute.

Back to the subject, the crappiest tribute ever has to be that fucking "Divas" CD with Celine Dion slaughtering "You Shook Me All Night Long". It's so horrible it makes me wanna kill myself.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 10, 2004 14:34     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Celine Dion slaughtering "You Shook Me All Night Long"

OMFG!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!!
*runs through the nearest window and falls down the building*

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 10, 2004 15:06     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, so let's say your favorite/least favorite tributes albums and/or cover tunes.

Thankfully though, I have never heard the Celine Dion cover....sounds pretty scary

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted February 10, 2004 15:13     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Back to the subject, the crappiest tribute ever has to be that fucking "Divas" CD with Celine Dion slaughtering "You Shook Me All Night Long". It's so horrible it makes me wanna kill myself.

I can't help but wonder what the hell persuaded you to listen to it? Although I would probably pay to see the look on your face when that played.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 10, 2004 15:19     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
I can't help but wonder what the hell persuaded you to listen to it? Although I would probably pay to see the look on your face when that played.

Ha ha! Yes, MadMeg that would be classic Slaytanic can you get cracking and re-create the scene, take photos (video footage would be way nicer) and post here for our amusement?!? Everything but the suicide part anyway....that would be such a downner

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 10, 2004 15:43     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, no. I had that experience once and it's enough. But I must say, can you remember the most embarassing moment in your life (like Malaodoaroargh and his ugly ass)? I assure you, it's ten times worse.

*EDIT* Let's just say that, in comparison, Britney Spears' "rendition" (eh?) of "I Love Rock'n'Roll" is a timeless classic.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted February 10, 2004 15:43     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pat Boone's "In A Metal Mood" is one of the shittiest "tribute" albums ever. It's not even funny, it's just...bad.

The worst cover tune(s) I've heard in a long time were the Korn, Limp Bisquick and Avril Levigne versions of Metallica songs on that horrible MTV Icon Metallica thingy. It was sickening.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 10, 2004 15:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Pat Boone's "In A Metal Mood" is one of the shittiest "tribute" albums ever. It's not even funny, it's just...bad.

I kinda like it. Okay, everybody's cup of tea it may not be, but at least Pat Boone has the integrity that lacks on the Divas disaster.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 10, 2004 16:18     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't see Slipknot as the cancer some of you consider.

It's mostly annoyance at people thinking, and going on at me that they're the heaviest, most extreme (in music and "image") band out there. And people telling me Joey Jordison is the fastest and best drummer ever. It's just crappy nu-metal. *shrugs*

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 10, 2004 16:45     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I feel the same way... They don't bug so so much as I can't stand hearing people gushing all over themselves about how 'heavy' and 'extreme' Slipknow is. One of my good friends is a Slipknot freak and always plays that damn dvd of theirs, going on and on about how great the production is... ZZZZZZZZZ! Give me Enslaved, Ephel Duath, Mastodon or the new Exodus anyday and then I'll gush! Otherwise shut-up about 'em already! The two albums they released are uneven and inconsistant at best, and boring to redundant at worst.

What was this topic about? Oh yes, covers... Um, I think Sepultura's "Revolusongs" was a pretty lame collection of covers. Completely without a purpose there. Can't think of any good tribute albums or covers... O.L.D. does a great cover of Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" on their first album!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 10, 2004 17:50     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I was Disappointed by Slayer's Undisputed Attitude, except for Gemini which is pretty darn good.

Slipknot are good in their own right. Yes it does get annoying when people go on about them so much, but there is no disputing Joey Jordison knows his way around a drumkit. Not the fastest (what does that matter anyway??), but very well practised. Not my all time favourite band but I do like to listen to them.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 10, 2004 18:08     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really love good cover songs. Metallica's $5.98 EP is one of my favorites. Anthrax did a killer cover of Celebrated Summer. Machine Head did a very nice version of House of Suffering, and Alan's On Fire was really good too.

The worst has to be Megadeth doing Paranoid, No More Mr. Nice Guy and Anarchy In The UK. I prefer the more obscure covers to the usual bar band set list material.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 10, 2004 21:08     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to quite a bit of the ole 94 Rock and have been hearing a crappy-ass cover of Sympathy for the Devil by Guns n Roses, blechkshkkckh! Yuck. Just go away and die already.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted February 11, 2004 00:07     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Masters of Misery", the Sabbath tribute released by Earache, is quite interesting. In fact, it's so weird that is good. Scorn and Godflesh deconstructed classic Sabbath songs and OLD did a great job covering "Who Are You".

quote:
As full cover albums go, I'd choose Century Media's 2CD tribute to Judas Priest (European - American 1-CD extract is not as good).

Hexon, there are 2 bizarre versions of "Breaking the Law" out there that'd probably drive you insane. Maybe you know them... One was recorded by queer punk band Pansy Division and the other by the Junkyard Dogs. Actually, I like both versions but I don't think regular Priest fans would dig 'em.

p.s.: What about Tori Amos singing "Raining Blood"?? Never heard it myself. Is it as bizarre as I think??

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 11, 2004 08:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For my good friend Slaytanic, this is the Richard Marx covers page.

Hmm, Mr Bungle covered a RM track...

I think that Metallica is a great cover band, like the whole Garage Inc. album has great moments, like the Nick Cave cover and the Mercyful Fate medley \m/. Plus, they play Diamondhead songs better than Diamondhead themselves... (Now they should learn to write their own compositions...)

I also liked Anthrax's Attack of the Killer B's.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 11, 2004 09:07     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
"Masters of Misery", the Sabbath tribute released by Earache, is quite interesting. In fact, it's so weird that is good. Scorn and Godflesh deconstructed classic Sabbath songs and OLD did a great job covering "Who Are You".

I agree, it's a great tribute, far better than the "official" Nativity In Black series (the second being awful, btw).

quote:
p.s.: What about Tori Amos singing "Raining Blood"?? Never heard it myself. Is it as bizarre as I think??

É uma bosta.

--------------------

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted February 11, 2004 12:18     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What about Tori Amos singing "Raining Blood"?? Never heard it myself. Is it as bizarre as I think??

Realllllllly Bizzzzzzzzzzare!!!
Just take a listen to "Raining Blood" by TORI AMOS, the weirdest covered SLAYER' song ever...

Tori Amos - Raining Blood

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 12, 2004 15:55     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bizzare, wierd, and totally unexpected. But I have to say it is mighty sinister.

I actually like it!

Oh, and my favourite cover ep/song?

The $5.98 EP. Fantastic songs and a truly amazing production. On a good system it totally kicks ass.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 12, 2004 16:11     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
The $5.98 EP. Fantastic songs and a truly amazing production. On a good system it totally kicks ass.

Yeah, I too love those early-day Metallica covers! The $5.98 EP is great! Pretty much anything on the Garage Inc. 2nd disc is cool! Although the 1st disc (with the newly recorded stuff) is pretty terrible!

I've always had the $5.98 EP on vinyl, but in the '90s I managed to snake one off a friend who owed me $50 (which I probably would have never gotten as this guy was ALWAYS broke)... Giving up on ever getting the cash, I said I would take his $9.98 cd (which was extremely rare at the time) in exchange for forgetting about the money. He agreed, I took it and I still love this little EP!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted February 12, 2004 16:59     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should have got five.
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted February 12, 2004 21:19     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Va¢ärmeS:

Realllllllly Bizzzzzzzzzzare!!!
Just take a listen to "Raining Blood" by TORI AMOS, the weirdest covered SLAYER' song ever...

Man...what an eerie and creepy version! Thanks for posting it, Vac!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 12, 2004 22:04       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stone Free is an excellent cd.It's a Jimi Hendrix tribute and some of Eric Clapton's best stuff and i'm not even a Jimi Hendrix fan.

Worst would have to be:
Tori Amos doing a Slayer song.
Britney doing a Joan Jett song
&
Celine Dion doing anything.

Iced Earth also did a cool tribute album.

IP: Logged

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan