my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hey, MeanMrMustard (about Death & Taxes article at Blabbermouth)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, MeanMrMustard (about Death & Taxes article at Blabbermouth)
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 29, 2004 08:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Extracted from Blabbermouth.net:

Former HOLY SOLDIER, XYZ Members Join Forces In DEATH & TAXES - Jan. 28, 2004

DEATH & TAXES, a hard rock band composed of veteran musicians from Los Angeles-area rock acts, is scheduled to release their new CD in mid-April 2004. Titled "Waste of a Perfectly Good CD", the album is said to be "a blend of straight ahead old school rock, reminiscent of rock's glorious past, brought up to speed with a definite twist."

The nucleus of DEATH & TAXES are Jay Link on lead vocals, Michael Cutting of HOLY SOLDIER fame on guitars, David Starkey on bass, and Paul Monroe of XYZ fame on the drums.

Currently, the band is a self-produced, self-managed, independent act, who will be putting the finishing touches on the 11-song CD in late January 2004. Look for a summer tour to follow.

More info can be found on the band's web site: www.death-and-taxes.net.

MeanMrMustard, do you actually know something about it? Is it the same Death & Taxes you used to play with/for?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

|  IP: Logged
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 29, 2004 09:58     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for interfering (Interference..)!

Really! Can't be the same band! Can it?
I'm still waiting for the CD to be released, the one we could download a couple of tracks from here at VVF. Been serching for that post where "MeanMrMustard" told everyone about that he was trying to finish the work on that CD. Didn't find it.

Really like those tracks and I hope he will release them. I've become really addicted to some of them!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 29, 2004 12:25     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up! To answer your question, "no" that article is not referring to my band. Unfortunately, we have to go through this every now and then (when someone tries to use that name) and there's not much I can do about it for a couple of reasons. The first and foremost, I don't have a lawyer (nor the money for one). And two, the phrase "Death and Taxes" is (according to what I've been told in the past) is common domain and cannot be protected or copywritten legally. I don't know if anyone care's for this fine detail, but that's why are name always appears in print as "Death & Taxe$" (with the dollar sign). That is the name we have protected. But to be honest, I'm still a little concerned because my bass player (who died) was the one who handled this side of the biz, and I don't know what happens to those rights that are technically under his name (he created the band before I joined it). In any case, we're still a small time band with no label backing. Maybe we'll benefit from the confusion. At the very least, I'm very capable to prove that I've been performing under that moniker for over 10 years.
But again, thanks ALOT for the heads up. I'm sure we'll be receiving a phone call from somebody regarding this. It's nice to hear it from you guys first. And the timing couldn't be better. I'm mastering my CD in two weeks, and will go to print immediatley after. It should be available in March. So mine will be out first! I'll keep you guys posted!

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 29, 2004 12:59     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
................... I'm mastering my CD in two weeks, and will go to print immediatley after. It should be available in March. So mine will be out first! I'll keep you guys posted!

YEAH!.......

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 29, 2004 15:59     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
(...)I'm mastering my CD in two weeks, and will go to print immediatley after. It should be available in March. So mine will be out first! I'll keep you guys posted!

I second SoulWithin: yeah!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 29, 2004 17:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CAN'T WAIT!!!!

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 29, 2004 20:27     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your guys' enthusiasm is awesome and much appreciated! You rule!
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 29, 2004 20:37     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, by the way, if one of you guys would be so kind as to post a comment in response to that article saying something to the affect that you know of another band that already releases material under that name I would really appreciate it. And maybe point them to this website address: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/deathtaxes

Thanks in advance!

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted January 29, 2004 20:49     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listened to the tunes of that other band but it's really bad. Boring, predictable and uninteresting - just the opposite of Death & Taxe$ !

Glad to hear your cd will get printed soon, keep us posted!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 30, 2004 03:37     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have both of Death & Taxe$ CDs and would like to say they are very original and versatile in their songwriting. You guys rock!!! I am looking forward to the new one, I will buy it for sure.

Thanks for the good news.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 30, 2004 04:45     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mustard: you know I'm in on this one

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 30, 2004 06:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY VINCE, There's another thing you can count on in life besides "Death & Taxes"... and that's somebody stealing a cool name for a band...

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan