my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 100 greatest metal guitarist of all time (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: 100 greatest metal guitarist of all time
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 24, 2004 07:32       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guitar World 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists Of All Time:
01. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)
02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)
03. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
04. Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)
05. Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)
06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
07. Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN)
08. Zakk Wylde (OZZY OSBOURNE, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY)
09. Adam Jones (TOOL)
10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (SLAYER)
11. Dave Murray & Adrian Smith (IRON MAIDEN)
12. Jimi Hendrix
13. Glen Tipton & K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST)
14. Ace Frehley & Paul Stanley (KISS)
15. Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)
16. Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW)
17. Yngwie Malmsteen
18. Joe Perry & Brad Whitford (AEROSMITH)
19. Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman (MEGADETH)
20. Chuck Schuldiner (DEATH)
21. Brian May (QUEEN)
22. Michael Schenker (MSG, UFO)
23. Nigel Tufnel (SPINAL TAP)
24. Jeff Beck
25. Tom Morello (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)
26. Head & Munky (KORN)
27. John Petrucci (DREAM THEATER)
28. Kim Thayil (SOUNDGARDEN)
29. Vivian Campbell (DEF LEPPARD)
30. Daron Malakian (SYSTEM OF A DOWN)
31. Scott Ian (ANTHRAX)
32. Tom G. Warrior (CELTIC FROST)
33. Chris Degarmo & Michael Wilton (QUEENSRŸCHE)
34. C.C. Deville
35. Marten Hagström & Fredrik Thorndendal (MESHUGGAH)
36. Alex Lifeson (RUSH)
37. Paul Gilbert (MR. BIG, RACER X)
38. Jerry Cantrell (ALICE IN CHAINS)
39. Mantas (VENOM)
40. Jason Becker (DAVE LEE ROTH)
41. Phil Collen & Steve Clarke (DEF LEPPARD)
42. Mikael Åkerfeldt & Peter Lindgren (OPETH)
43. Fast Eddie Clarke (MOTÖRHEAD)
44. Nuno Bettencourt (EXTREME)
45. Warren DeMartini (RATT)
46. Mick Mars (MÖTLEY CRÜE)
47. George Lynch (DOKKEN)
48. Ted Nugent
49. Jake E. Lee (OZZY OSBOURNE, BADLANDS)
50. Rudolf Schenker & Uli John Roth (SCORPIONS)
51. Oystein "Euronymous" Aarseth (MAYHEM)
52. Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY)
53. Steve Vai (DAVE LEE ROTH)
54. Reb Beach (WINGER, DOKKEN)
55. Trey Azagthoth (MORBID ANGEL)
56. John Sykes (THIN LIZZY, BLUE MURDER)
57. Hank Shermann & Michael Denner (MERCYFUL FATE)
58. Richie Sambora (BON JOVI)
59. Jon Donais & Matt Backhand (SHADOWS FALL)
60. Stephen Carpenter (DEFTONES)
61. Alex Skolnick & Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT)
62. Brian Tatler (DIAMOND HEAD)
63. John Christ (DANZIG)
64. Scott "Wino" Weinrich (THE OBSESSED)
65. Pepper Keenan & Woody Weatherman (C.O.C.)
66. Tommy Victor (PRONG)
67. Leslie West (MOUNTAIN)
68. Vernon Reid (LIVING COLOUR)
69. Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (ALICE COOPER)
70. Bjorn Gelotte & Jesper Stromblad (IN FLAMES)
71. Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING)
72. Gary Holt & Rick Hunolt (EXODUS)
73. Donald Buck Dharma Roeser (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT)
74. Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY)
75. Robert Fripp (KING CRIMSON)
76. Andre Olbrich (BLIND GUARDIAN)
77. Joe Satriani
78. Frank Hannon & Tommy Skeoch (TESLA)
79. Ty Tabor (KING'S X)
80. Mark Morton & Will Adler (LAMB OF GOD)
81. Dino Cazares (FEAR FACTORY)
82. Pete Townshend (THE WHO)
83. Jon Schaffer (ICED EARTH)
84. Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS)
85. Neil Young
86. Abbath Doom Occulta (IMMORTAL)
87. Kai Hansen (GAMMA RAY)
88. Uffe Cederlund & Alex Hellid (ENTOMBED)
89. Leigh Stephens (BLUE CHEER)
90. Jim Martin (FAITH NO MORE)
91. Michael Romeo (SYMPHONY X)
92. Bill Steer (CARCASS)
93. Piggy (VOIVOD)
94. Tony Bourge (BUDGIE)
95. Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN)
96. Alexi Laiho (CHILDREN OF BODOM)
97. Akira Takasaki (LOUDNESS)
98. Michael Angelo
99. John Kay & Michael Monarh (STEPPENWOLF)
100. Nick Bowcott (GRIM REAPER)

There are alot of great guitarist listed here and i'm surprised they recognized many of them but i disagree with the order.

IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2004 07:37     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Piggy won't ever top a metal (or whatever style) guitarrist list. Voivod is not that popular, unfortunately.

BTW, Andreas Kisser is missing, IMO.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

|  IP: Logged
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 24, 2004 07:41       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
atleast Piggy is on the list.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2004 07:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I think you're right.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2004 07:50     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyway, this is a fair list, lots of well deserved names. A couple of names lacking, others who don't belong to it at all (Neil Young, the metal god???), but the majority of the important names is there. My only complaint would be that Tipton/Downing are not topping the list. They perfected the art of metal guitar.

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 24, 2004 11:26     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How are Hetfield and Hammet at the top? They are good but not one of the greatest.

How can Satriani be lower than Hammet and Vai? He was their fuckin teachers!

--------------------

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted January 24, 2004 16:08     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see this more as a "Hey these are the top metal bands, and oh yea, the guitarists are lined up to them"

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 24, 2004 18:11     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well for one thing, Vai was taught by Zappa and Satriani, and pretty much surpasses both in terms of technical skill & flat-out virtuosity. He should be in the top 5 of any 'best guitarist' list. And BTW Zappa himself should certainly be here if you are including the likes of Neil fucking Young. Christ on a Crutch.

Secondly, there is plenty right and plenty wrong with this list - but no fucking WAY is any such list worth half a cheap fuck without Jesse & Mitch from Napalm Death included on it. Those two fuckers have been pumping out the supreme grind riffage for like 15 years straight, have helped to revolutionize the genre, and have influenced multitudes. And while we're at it, where the fuck are Craig Wells & Kurt Vanderhoof of Metal Church?

On the plus side, it was nice to see people like Glen Buxton & Michael Bruce (of Alice Cooper's original band), Tommy Victor, Buck Dharma, Vernon Reid, and of course Piggy. It would have been sporting of them to tack Danny Spitz on with Scott Ian.

And then Holy fuck... CC fucking DEVILLE!!?? Give that poofta-boy the Yard-a-pault treatment and QUICK!

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 25, 2004 00:15     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They mention Denner and Sherman from Mercyful Fate, but what about ANDY LaROCQUE of King Diamond!?!? I can spot at least ten people he could replace on that list.

And I don't think these lists should ever be in any EXACT order, they should break it up into tenths and just "clump" people in ten groups.

And Tange, I agree with you on the Napalm dudes. They mention Bill Steer from Carcass, which IMHO was really good at grinding the axe, but the guys in ND have been doing it for a longer time and are still present in the metal world. Hmmph. Go figure.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 25, 2004 03:17     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where's the Hoffman bros at???

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 25, 2004 04:30     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LEGION:
Where's the Hoffman bros at???

....Uh, in jail?

J/K. Yes, even they deserve to be on this list. They know how to change gears like the best of 'em. Not the guy from Winger / Dokken I've never even heard of.

And where is Geordie Walker of Killing Joke fame?

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted January 25, 2004 06:45       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hell yeah,Craig Well and Kurdt Vanderhoof should be on that list and Tommy Victor should be ALOT higher but i am glad to see
Zakk Wylde-8
Ace Frehley-14
Dave Mustaine-19
Michael Schenker-22
Kim Thayil-28
Tom Warrior-32
Mantas-39
Fast Eddie Clarke-43
Woody Weatherman-65
Tommy Victor-66
Piggy-93

even made the list

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 25, 2004 15:43     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you guys praising the likes of Zappa, Fripp, Geordie and even Satriani and Vai. But it's a metal list, and none of them are metal players (and never have been).

I agree with Legion on the Hoffman Bros. and with LivingEvil about Wells/Vanderhoof and Tommy Victor. Also, with nuc about Andy LaRocque.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 25, 2004 16:46     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
I agree with you guys praising the likes of Zappa, Fripp, Geordie and even Satriani and Vai. But it's a metal list, and none of them are metal players (and never have been).

Well really it's all in your perspective.
Of the ones you mention, I would strongly disagree with:

1. Vai - played with Alcatrazz & David Lee Roth (which sucked badly, I know), and his influence is widespread in the world of metal

2. Robert Fripp - The Mighty Crimson may not be "metal" per se, but they certainly have had their moments - and Fripp has no doubt influenced MANY metal guitarists. If Hendrix should be there, then so should Fripp.

3. Geordie Walker - see Fripp, and replace the word 'Crimson' with Killing Joke, Murder Inc. and Damage Manual.

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 25, 2004 17:04     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Josh Homme was not on that list and thats pretty dumb....

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 25, 2004 18:03     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never really thought of N. Young as Heavy Metal! And that goes for any other stoned hippie. I never considered Page, Beck, Hendrix, Brian May etc... metal. And I would include these guitarists in any other list regarding Best Guitarists, but not metal. Sure they influenced the world of music, myself included and they deserve their props. I guess it comes down to ones definition of 'METAL'.

It is cool to see Piggy's name although it should be up in the top 5. That's my opinion.

C.C. Deville?!?!? Richie Sambora!?!?!

anyway, there are quite a few groups on there I've never heard! Who's good??

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 25, 2004 21:02     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uh, Sammy Hagar plays guitar??? WTF?
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted January 25, 2004 21:03     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CC Deville makes the list and Frank Marino misses out. How 'bout that?
Buck Dharma should be higher without a doubt as older fans here know. Although not a musician myself, I think a case can be made for Petrucci as moving in with the elite after seeing him perform live last summer.
Blackmore also has to be top ten.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 25, 2004 21:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Uh, Sammy Hagar plays guitar??? WTF?

Yeah, and believe it or not, he's actually pretty fucking good at it. Which reminds me! Where the hell is Ronnie Montrose??

quote:
Originally posted by Layla's Dad:
CC Deville makes the list and Frank Marino misses out. How 'bout that?
Buck Dharma should be higher without a doubt as older fans here know. Although not a musician myself, I think a case can be made for Petrucci as moving in with the elite after seeing him perform live last summer.
Blackmore also has to be top ten.

Agree with all of it, especially the DeVille vs. Marino part. Frank is a phenomenonal guitarist who has never really recieved the props he's deserved.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 26, 2004 01:15     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hagar is supposed to be here in town later in the week to help host the Super Bowl festivities and play three concerts. There is a rumor that Van Halen will jump on stage at one point. Might be interesting...Hagar is cool but sometimes just a little too "cabo wabo" for my musical taste!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 26, 2004 08:36     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Well for one thing, Vai was taught by Zappa and Satriani, and pretty much surpasses both in terms of technical skill & flat-out virtuosity. He should be in the top 5 of any 'best guitarist' list.

Yes, but there is Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap on number 23, and he taught Zappa AND Vai AND Satriani AND even Hendrix, if I'm not mistaken, and surpasses everyone. Actually, he taught all the 99 other guitarists on this list how to play.

Plus, his amp goes to 11. How is THAT?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2004 09:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear delusion:
Hagar is supposed to be here in town later in the week to help host the Super Bowl festivities and play three concerts. There is a rumor that Van Halen will jump on stage at one point. Might be interesting...Hagar is cool but sometimes just a little too "cabo wabo" for my musical taste!

I agree with your comments on Sammy (sometimes a bit to festive with his tunes) but when he's on... he's great. I'd bet money money that Micael Anthiny will be with him. Sam & Mike have always been buds even through all the stupid Eddie ego trips. Eddie's great and all, but he seems to get a bit big headed and egotistical and it's led to the downfall of a great band...twice.

Worst decision in rock history: Gary Cherone singing for Van Halen

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 26, 2004 11:06     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Yes, but there is Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap on number 23, and he taught Zappa AND Vai AND Satriani AND even Hendrix, if I'm not mistaken, and surpasses everyone. Actually, he taught all the 99 other guitarists on this list how to play.

Plus, his amp goes to 11. How is THAT?

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 26, 2004 12:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Well really it's all in your perspective.
Of the ones you mention, I would strongly disagree with:

1. Vai - played with Alcatrazz & David Lee Roth (which sucked badly, I know), and his influence is widespread in the world of metal

2. Robert Fripp - The Mighty Crimson may not be "metal" per se, but they certainly have had their moments - and Fripp has no doubt influenced MANY metal guitarists. If Hendrix should be there, then so should Fripp.

3. Geordie Walker - see Fripp, and replace the word 'Crimson' with Killing Joke, Murder Inc. and Damage Manual.

I see your point, and agree with you about Steve Vai. But if we consider "moments", we would have to consider almost every rock band, from the Beatles (Helter Skelter) up to the present day. Paganini has a strong influence on Malmsteen, and no one is considering him.

Oh, and for the record, I consider both Robert Fripp and Geordie to be excellent musicians.

--------------------

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted January 27, 2004 10:06     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lists are always fun, but this one is almost surreal... At least 1/4 of the musicians cited in that Top 100 have nothing to do with metal and they mix up "guitar heroes" with death metal guitarists which is nonsense to me.

If I were to start my own top 100 "greatest rock'n'roll guitarists of all time", I'd definitely have people like Zappa, Iommi, Billy Gibbons, Neil Young, Andy Summers, Dave Navarro, Jim "Reverend Horton" Heath, Paul Leary, Brian Setzer, Tres Manos (U.D.S.), David Gilmour, Dick Dale and others.
You might not like all of them, but they stick to "rock'n'roll" category.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan