my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » ...And Justice For All

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ...And Justice For All
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted December 24, 2003 00:26     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With bass guitar.
http://www.hagmanation.nu/ajfj/jason.html

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

|  IP: Logged
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 24, 2003 02:01     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well it's about time.
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted December 24, 2003 07:27     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, what's this?!? It's a new mix, or somebody re-recorded the bass lines ?!?!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted December 24, 2003 09:41     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone overdubbed bass parts on top of the original recording. It sounds much better but they should have ripped it at anything higher than 160 kbps. The gloss of the MP3 compression gets in the way.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted December 24, 2003 13:30     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And in Related Matters...
http://www.recoilmag.com/news/metallica_no_longer_mandatory_1203.html

Metallica No Longer Manditory

Washington, D.C. -- Hundreds of thousands of U.S. radio listeners voiced a sigh of relief Friday after FCC regulators announced that modern rock stations are no longer allowed to air daily "Mandatory Metallica" song blocks - a practice that's been religiously employed by program directors nationwide since the mid-90s.

"Considering the abhorrent quality and declining value of Metallica's last four releases, it is the FCC's decision that the band's music can no longer be considered 'mandatory' under even the loosest of mainstream radio standards," said FCC spokesperson Fredrick Moore. "Therefore, stations are heretofore disallowed from the daily airing of three or more of the band's songs in a row as part of a 'Muh-Muh-Muh-Mandatory Metallica' segment, as it is typically called."

Mandatory Metallica - the catchy alliterative moniker for three- to six-song radio segments that draw from Metallica's extensive catalog of radio singles - became widespread among modern rock stations when the band's 1991 multi-platinum self-titled album culminated in mainstream success for a band that had previously toiled for over a decade in the underground metal scene.

The FCC's decision to outlaw Mandatory Metallica segments came after more than 680,000 radio listeners signed petitions encouraging the commission to rescind Metallica music's 'mandatory' status.

"This annulment of Metallica's 'mandatory' standing is to be upheld by all active radio program directors," said Moore, "even directors who commonly ignore Metallica's later, weaker, misguided efforts in favor of spinning some of the killer, old-school cuts off of, say, Ride the Lightning or …And Justice For All. Even though the tunes on those albums totally rock, playing a bunch of those tracks in a row as part of a Mandatory Metallica segment would still constitute a violation."

According to sources, many of those who signed the petition were in fact longtime Metallica fans who had become increasingly fatigued with radio stations' overplaying of the band's music as well as the artistic direction the band has pursued since 1996's Load LP.

"I'll admit, five or six years ago it was pretty cool to hear rock stations playing three or four Metallica songs in a row on a daily basis, considering that these same stations wouldn't even touch [Metallica singles] until 'One' came out," said longtime fan Mark Elms. "But now every day when I hear that Mandatory Metallica intro, I'm like, 'Jesus, enough is enough already.' I guess these stations haven't figured out that everybody pretty much tuned out after they did that record where they played with that symphony."

"Man, does that record blow," added Elms. "I still can't listen to the original 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' without hearing those goddamned string parts in my head now."

Though program directors across the nation voiced their opposition to the FCC's decision, many radio station staff members expressed mixed feelings regarding the ban.

"After having abided to the daily Metallica law for so many years, through the good and the bad, we're all still coming to grips with the fact that Mandatory Metallica is finally over," said Rob Gaines, an afternoon DJ at the Los Angeles station KROQ. "When I was growing up with Metallica's music, I used to just dream about a time when their songs would receive any airplay, let alone be a staple component of every rock station's play list. So in that sense, I'm kind of sad to think that now there won't be a Mandatory Metallica segment every day. On the other hand, I couldn't be more relieved to know that I won't have to act like I'm excited to play 'The Unforgiven' every other day. And don't even get me started about having to hype up their Saint Anger singles, which everyone at the station agrees are complete trash."

Rather than fight the FCC regulation, a majority of program directors polled indicated that they would instead introduce a new daily song block feature that spotlights an act that is currently experiencing significant popularity.

"At KROQ we're throwing around the idea of starting a daily block called 'Never-Ending Nickelback,' which I'm not really sure how I feel about yet," said Gaines. "I've also heard our PD talking about segments called 'Essential Evanescence,' 'Compulsory Creed' and 'Unavoidable U2.'"

December 2003

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
\m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted December 24, 2003 13:47     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
rofl....

2 words: I WISH!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 24, 2003 19:45     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is pretty good shit. fucking funny.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted December 25, 2003 08:47     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of the strange things about this is that on the $5.98 EP the 'production' of everything was truly fabulous, mainly because it wasn't that produced. Jas's bass sounded totally amazing, yet on Justice it's barely audible at best and not present most of the time. It was almost like 'well, you're in the band Newkid but don't expect to be heard playing our studio shit'.

But it is wierd hearing a bass guitar on this album after all these years!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 27, 2003 05:14     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, and I'm almost positive after all of these years that Jason has his own "special" mix of the album as well...just like this one!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted December 27, 2003 18:40     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's only on "Blackened" that we don't hear the bass on the album, the rest is ok!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 27, 2003 20:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and burned it disc this morning and loved the refreshed version of the album... it's a lot heavier, now. The guy did a great job.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan