my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What concerts have you seen with your parents?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What concerts have you seen with your parents?
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 21, 2003 02:57     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Btw...thanks to Paul and Charon for the idea of this topic...

Mine, as stated previously on Paul's MM thread...

Cheap Trick- '82 with Saxon opening

The Police- The Sychronicity tour '83 with the Thompson Twins opening.

Joan Jett- '83 still supporting "I Love Rock-N-Roll"

And the most recent: "The Pretenders", with "Gay Dad" opening...back in '00

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted December 21, 2003 07:53     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
None actually... Weird. I guess they're not really into metal.
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted December 21, 2003 15:04     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
none, unless the symphony counts as a "concert" - I've been to the symphony many times with my mother.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted December 21, 2003 15:31     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
None here
But they had to listen to Iron Fist for 300 km when they drove me and my buddies to my first concert ever, Motörhead back in 82.

When i just got my copy of Live without sense with Destruction and was sitting listening to In the mood my father stomped in and stole the damn thing. put it on the other player and listened to that song for almost an hour. He was a huge Glenn Miller fan and just loved their cover of it

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 21, 2003 16:11     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
None... they kinda hate my music...
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 21, 2003 20:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HA! Funny you ask. My dad was always fairly 'hip' to music in general, though he was more into Opera and Classical. One time he saw one of my Oingo Boingo albums and told me about the time he saw them back in their 'theatrical performance' days. That still blows my mind, because they were a pretty wild & raunchy bunch back then.

Anyway - one time right around '82 or so he got some tickets from a client of his to see the Kinks at the Universal Amphitheater in Hollywood, and he & I went to the show. They were third row seats, and the concert was fucking excellent. They rocked way harder than I expected, my old man got me pretty hammered, and I remember Ray Davies shook up a bottle of bubbly & sprayed it all over the first few rows. It was one of the best times I ever had at a show.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 21, 2003 20:51     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tons. the first one my dad ever took me to was Ozzy - Diary of a Madman tour....

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 22, 2003 04:53     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My dad thinks the Beatles are too noisy. I think going to a metal gig would be too much of a shock for him!
Torsion
VoivodFan
Member # 395

posted December 22, 2003 08:30     Profile for Torsion   Email Torsion     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still thankful to my mom for taking me to my first concert, Quiet Riot, NightRanger and GirlSchool. I discovered Ozzy that same year, which lead into Metallica and eventually "VOIVOD" the best was truely last!

--------------------

Torsion Drummer

tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted December 22, 2003 09:06     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ive seen two conerts with them,
1. Elton John/Billy Joel
2. Genesis

I know.

They both suck.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 22, 2003 10:36     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geez, way too many to count and hypermom still goes to shows with us (well with luna and slugbutt anyway, since I don't live in my hometown anymore).

Mom took us to our first concert in '79, it was KISS (although I think slugbutt may have been to a concert in the womb!!). After that, it was every show that came to town. We always knew what we were getting for our birthday's and Xmas - concert tickets!!

Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Cars, Black Sabbath, BOC, ZZ Top, Deep Purple, The Scorpions, Ozzy, Yes, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, Voivod. She drove us 8 hours to Denver to see the Monsters of Rock show, shit what year was that? I think Metallica headlined that one at Bronco Stadium. She also took us to Denver to see Soundgarden in '90......come on.....help me out here siblings. She really just went along cause she liked all the music too. Thanks Mom

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 22, 2003 11:19     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I read this kind of stuff, Lemmy always comes to mind. He always stated that one can measure the quality of a band by looking at his own parents: if they don't like it, it's good. I agree with that.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted December 22, 2003 11:34       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll go with that-Lemmy hit it right on the head.
I would'nt want my parents going to any of the shows i like anyway.There into Elvis & Sinatra.They liked better music when i was younger.My first albums were my dads old Deep Purple and ZZ Top.I still love both those albums too.

IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 22, 2003 15:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hypergrrl: a family that head bangs together stays together!!! very cool.

Unfortunately I've never been to any shows with the folks, although my Dad & Stepmom came real close to seeing Porcupine Tree / Opeth with me this year. The rest of that part of the family went with me to the Philly show (step brother & 1/2 sister with her boyfriend) and enjoyed the gig a lot.

They all enjoyed PT and I think my Dad gave out more PT sampler cds than I did and helped make more fans for the band!!!

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 22, 2003 15:50     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mmm...yes, Hypermums also went to see SLAYER!!! Hypermum loves Tom Araya and I just love it brutal, loud and heavy (with sweatyslightlyoverweightlonghairedguys thrown in).

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted December 22, 2003 20:23     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My parents never went to a concert with me - they couldn't even stand to be in the same room as me when I was playing something from my record collection. (For those too young to remember, "records" are what we had before CDs. Don't worry if you've never owned any records or the device to play them on - I think it was called a "turntable" - you didn't miss much.)

Anyway, back to my parents: They were into country music (ugh) when I was a teenager, so let's just say there was a culture clash in my house. They went to see Waylon Jennings one night, and asked me if I wanted to go. I didn't. They got all dressed up nicely, as if they're going out for a night at the opera or something. This was going to be their first concert. I had been to many concerts by then, my most recent being Yes, where the air was, uh, "fragrant", and the longer you stoned the more stayed you got. 'Nuff said...those of you who've seen Yes in the old days know what I'm talking about.

I told my parents that they shouldn't dress up like that, because everyone except them would be consuming certain substances that would permeate one's apparel. (e.g., they'd stink like Cheech & Chong) They didn't listen, of course (just like parents - "It's country music, not rock - nothing to worry about"), and went out.

They came back late that night. "How was it?", I inquired. "My God, they were smoking MARIJUANA there! That's ILLEGAL!!!" "Uh-huh...how did it smell, Dad?" "Really weird, we can't explain it." "Did you have a hit?" "Are you INSANE?!?!?!" "Next time you'll listen to me before you go to a concert again, right?" "Right! The smoke simply RUINED my turtleneck, and Mom's dress! Phew!"

I still chuckle about that night, even now, many years later.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted December 22, 2003 22:56     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahh yes. our rockin' parental units! Yup KISS in '79 was cool except mums always has to leave early to beat the traffic so we missed Beth! The last show we all went to was Voivod/Sepultura in April! We have the best mom!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted December 23, 2003 08:58     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
When i just got my copy of Live without sense with Destruction and was sitting listening to In the mood my father stomped in and stole the damn thing. put it on the other player and listened to that song for almost an hour. He was a huge Glenn Miller fan and just loved their cover of it

I remeber something similar happened with my little cousin when he listened to the "Pink Panther" at the end of "Mad Butcher" on the same Destruction album...

As for my parents, never had the chance to see any concerts with them except for some classical music

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 23, 2003 11:00     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Marco... why does your quote say 'Originally posted by Lycanthropy'? I never said that... it was Vroom...

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted December 23, 2003 11:05     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
ahh yes. our rockin' parental units! Yup KISS in '79 was cool except mums always has to leave early to beat the traffic so we missed Beth! The last show we all went to was Voivod/Sepultura in April! We have the best mom!

That's right! We had to stop and listen when we got outside Didn't she once take us to an over 21 club up in "the Heights" to see Yngwie Malmsteen or Exciter or something like that? Yeah, as long as you had a parent, they would let you in.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 24, 2003 02:11     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy Osbourne
Spinal Tap

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted December 24, 2003 09:16     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Hey, Marco... why does your quote say 'Originally posted by Lycanthropy'? I never said that... it was Vroom...

...opsss...Licanthropy, sorry for the mistake!! I was in fact referring to the Vroom post....

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan