my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Eric Forrest & VIOVOD as a 3 piece (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Eric Forrest & VIOVOD as a 3 piece
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 23, 2003 20:02     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that case is cool looking !

@disney...
im not sure if comparing the Outer Limits or any other voivod albums will work because they are all seperate entities in their own way.

The Outer Limits has JACK LUMINOUS on it !

|  IP: Logged
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 24, 2003 02:07     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing is certain: with Eric, the band was more serious live. Snake has always been a ham.

I love Phobos and have always been disappointed that they didn't make the Albini album. It would have levelled this whole forum.

We'd still be crying in 2004.

disneysdreamdebased
VoivodFan
Member # 304

posted December 24, 2003 16:51     Profile for disneysdreamdebased   Email disneysdreamdebased     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK- just thought i'd explain my Phobos/Outer Limits comments:
The thing with "The Outer Limits" is that despite having some great stuff on it- it sounded sort of muddled- i thought that upon release and i still feel the same way.
I know each album is a seperate entity but as with any band you cannot help but compare their work with prior efforts- especially a band like Voivod- Who else do you compare it to?
Anyway- it seemed like they had done the complex/prog album (Nothingface) and the short/concise "Pop" album (Angel rat) and The Outer Limits was an attempt to marry the two and i just think it made for a weaker listening experience.
I STILL to this day cannot remember either Wrong Way Street or We are not alone- and i don't think Time Warp is very strong either.
LOST MACHINE/FIX MY HEART/THE NILE SONG are exceptional and MOONBEAM RIDER/LE PONT NOIR also cut the mustard....but...the entire album really hangs on your view of Jack Luminous and whilst it has some simply amazing sections i struggle to maintain interest at around 13 mins in- a flawed masterpiece..
Phobos whilst the individual tracks may not equal TOL in overall feel and concept it is (in my view) the more successful album and NO-ONE is more suprised at that conclusion than me.
Obviously it's just one persons view and i won't argue the case strongly either way- just thought i'd explain my attitude towards TOL.
Put simply to my ears PHOBOS sounds like a fresh/inspired hungry band- TOL sounds like a struggling/tired slightly directionless band.

Both albums are great anyway- so who cares?!

have a good Xmas

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 24, 2003 18:47     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes, there is not a song i dont like from TOL, well to be completely honest (time warp) was kinda strange to me at first, and i mean right when i bought the album. the production on TOL 'IMO' sounds great, its bright and loud and crisp. the band sounded very energized to me on the contrary.

quote:
I know each album is a seperate entity but as with any band you cannot help but compare their work with prior efforts- especially a band like Voivod- Who else do you compare it to?

i totally agree with you there, i often do the same by comparing their releases and would like to add, 'VoiVod' releases are the only thing you can compare this band with.
Phobos does sound energizing too, but if i was talking about a fresh new band, wasnt Negatron released first ?

quote:
but...the entire album really hangs on your view of Jack Luminous

that is surely wrong, i love the album wholly and wrong way street happens to be one of my favorite songs. (thats the lazer gun song !)
'not that i have favorites'
Jack Luminous is just the flagship song to that release in a way. I kinda think Nuage Fractal is in that same manner for AngelRat, although angelrat has a self titled song for the album.

You guys have a good X-MAS too \m/ im off for almost a 3 hour drive, uggh...

voivodian
VoivodFan
Member # 1038

posted August 02, 2009 13:26     Profile for voivodian   Email voivodian     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then I have a third version of Negatron.. by Hypnotic records with no Vortex or Erosion... and no quick time video of Insect.. just the music... I didn't know anything about computers and I asked my mates to check if there was anything extra... and about the topic on discusion.. I consider Negatron and Phobos two of my favourite Voivod albums.. in the same line of Dimension Hatross or Nothingface... In fact Phobos was one of the cd covers I brought to the Barcelona concert to get it signed... nice guys Voivod, esp. Dan, Away and Snake... and Eric Forrest,(thanks BRO!!!) who I happen to know personally... and if you think he doesn't have a personal voice.. check any of his other projects, E-Force, Project:Failing Flesh or even Rock'n'Roll rebels... you may think otherwise afterwards.... and I would like to get an ear on the Chicago Slipcase... if its possible..

Great concert in Barcelona...
www.myspace.com/eforceband www.myspace.com/projectfailingflesh

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan