my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Nothingface lp review (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Nothingface lp review
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 18, 2003 09:16     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is what i read in an old metal magazine about Nothingface:

"After hearing Nothingface i came to the conclusion that weak is the only answer.
Voivod is very progressive but this album is very clearly too progressive! Although the sound is very good the songs are extremely boring to me. Some of the riffs are ok and some of the chorus also. The vocals are boring and in talking-speed.
There are some nice parts on this album but you have to be real Voivod fan to just buy this album with closed eyes.....

4,5 out of 10

I just wanted to share this with you.
I allready killed the person who wrote this

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 18, 2003 09:44     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
"this album is very clearly too progressive!"

Translation: "Help! Mommy! I don't get it! It makes my brain hurt..."

Hee hee. No-one ever said Voivod was for everyone.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 18, 2003 09:54     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I allready killed the person who wrote this

Good man! Justice has been done!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 18, 2003 10:04     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Although the sound is very good the songs are extremely boring to me.

He's right, I always fall asleep during The Unknown Knows. Yaaaawn.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted December 18, 2003 10:39     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have always preferred Dimension Hatröss anyway...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 18, 2003 16:06     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know everyone has their own taste in music and each persons opinion is subjectively more or less valid than the next persons..

but I feel utterly superior to the author of this review merely for the fact that I understand and appreciate the genius that is Nothingface.

wotta cock.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 18, 2003 16:22     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JP Balkenende:
There are some nice parts on this album but you have to be real Voivod fan to just buy this album with closed eyes.....

Indeed, this is the album that separated the Tr00 VV fans from the wannabees. Surprisingly enough enough it's also the best selling VV-album. Do I hear Mr. Logic silently sneaking out of this room?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 18, 2003 18:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You'll never sell a million albums when you are ahead of your time. The masses just don't understand, but for us lucky fuckers who 'get it'... NOTHINGFACE is a GOD among records, and which most bands could ever hope to acheive in their lifetime.

I guess a lot of people don't like to use their brain when they listen to music.

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 18, 2003 22:23     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is no such concept as "too progressive". What a clown.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 18, 2003 23:54     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So the guy didnt like Nothingface. Big fucking deal.

Considering the metal climate at the time it came out, of course it sounded alien to the non-adventurous. Not everyone has the patience. Besides, Nothingface wasnt even a metal record (it was much more than that). The reviewer still comes off as an ass, with that said.

Moi? I prefer Dimension Hatross anyway.
I remember not liking Nothingface at first either ("what the fuck is THAT?"). After a while i grew to understand it a little better, then eventually it wouldnt leave my record player for a year straight. Although today i can't stand it, mostly due to the production. Too clean and antiseptic. I much prefer the warm sound of DH.

As far as the prog thing goes... bah, humbug. Doesnt do shit for me. I come from Venom's school of thought, not King Crimson's.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted December 19, 2003 00:08     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
schro, most people don't HAVE a brain, and those who do, still don't use it. And you want them to use it while listening to music? That's too much. They prefer RIAA shoving shit down their throats, and posing as "clever" by sharing that shit with others on KaZaa and other shitty networks.
Re-read 1984. Music for prols is composed on special machines, the only thing needed it to make some "hot new" music every week. The only thing prols care for is that the shit they listen to is "new", "cool", "hip", [place other buzz word here].
Now one of those germs wrote a review on Nothingface. What does he say? That it's music, and that he doesn't get it. Fair enough. Sweet dreams, bastard.

It sums up everything, Hexon.

I just wanna add something here: most rock critics are dumb!
Read the review again and you'll notice that that moron didn't say anything out of the ordinary. "The songs are really boring to me"?? Man, tell me about lack of criticism...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 19, 2003 05:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skull wrote: "As far as the prog thing goes... bah, humbug. Doesnt do shit for me. I come from Venom's school of thought, not King Crimson's"

But the guys in VOIVOD went to both schools... more of an education and broader knowledge. I think they also attended Punk scool for the summer, but left after a month to study bio-physics...

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 19, 2003 08:46     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I come from Venom's school of thought

Hey, I like that: venomism.

This thread is great.

I think that Tangento sums it up: there is no such concept as "too progressive". The word progressive, to me, has to do with the idea of "progress", of bringing music beyond its limits. And to me, Voivod is much more than just a metal band; they actually transcend metal. Nothingface is the best exemple of that. They invented their language, their sound. There's nothing like it.

Blah, that critic probably thinks that 4/4 rock music with 3 standard chords and a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus pattern is interesting...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 19, 2003 09:02     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never thought this would give so much reply.
The guy wh wrote this was in an underground magazine and maybe 23 years of age or so.
Please do not get it so seriously as if this guy has all knowlegde, he obviously has none.

In my opinion Nothingface is Voivod's near best one, the first place will always be Dimention Hatrosssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 19, 2003 17:54     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahh, that fucker dont know what hes talking about !
pitty for the weak mind, lol
i think if he gave it a few more spins on the cd player it would begin to Dominate his Brain...
but i say we lynch the bastard hes a commie, wreaking this kind of terror in our neck of the woods

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
that wild turkey 101 is kicking in about now.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 19, 2003 21:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
As far as the prog thing goes... bah, humbug. Doesnt do shit for me. I come from Venom's school of thought, not King Crimson's.

IMO, people who think this way limit themselves, falling into a narrow-minded trap where they end up missing out on some great music. The first mistake is to draw this imaginary line between bands like Venom and King Crimson. Right there you are creating unnecessary categories and thereby closing your mind off from a huge area of rock music.

It reminds me of these people I see around these boards who have their mile-long list of favorite bands, and each and every one of them is some copycat black metal bullshit clone band with (yet another) logo no mortal human could possibly decipher. That's probably the normal scope of a narrow-minded 14 year old, but these are people who are in their 20s and 30s! I find that to be pretty fucking sad. Music is music. Find what you enjoy and leave the tags for the pathetic Rolling Clone 'critics' and MTV Disciples.

Just my take.

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 20, 2003 01:13     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I was meaning to write a long essay involving why certain genres of music appeal to me more than others. Alas, I've come to the realization that I, sadly, do not have the necessary intellectual skills to fulfill such task. Unfortunately, I cannot express (in an argumentative and witty manner) why I've always enjoyed good songwriting over flashy musicianship. Perhaps this is due to long, excessive exposure to inferior musical products. Whatever it is, I am deeply sorry that I am not as brilliant as you to understand and appreciate that prog rock thing.

Yah, right.

Your royal highness Tangento (as well as all you "elite proggers"), please accept my most sincere apologies.

Pompous assholes.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 20, 2003 06:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Tango on this... but I still think the Skullman is a cool mutha!!!

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and their own tastes... that's what make the world so interesting.

Shit, look at all the stuff Mez listens to that I wouldn't spin if it was free... and I have a wide taste in music.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted December 20, 2003 11:37     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brilliant posts, Tango and Skul! I think I must be a bit crazy 'cause I relate to both of you...

Like Tangento, I don't think we should draw imaginary lines to label music and that definition of "copy cat black metal clone bands with weird logos" made my day!

On the other hand, I feel like Skul most of the times as I'd rather stick to songwriting and more primitive rock than to prog rock virtuose. Like Schroeder said: "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Too many smart guys around this board.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 20, 2003 19:11     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Well, I was meaning to write a long essay involving why certain genres of music appeal to me more than others. Alas, I've come to the realization that I, sadly, do not have the necessary intellectual skills to fulfill such task. Unfortunately, I cannot express (in an argumentative and witty manner) why I've always enjoyed good songwriting over flashy musicianship. Perhaps this is due to long, excessive exposure to inferior musical products. Whatever it is, I am deeply sorry that I am not as brilliant as you to understand and appreciate that prog rock thing.

Yah, right.

Your royal highness Tangento (as well as all you "elite proggers"), please accept my most sincere apologies.

Pompous assholes.

I think you misinterpreted my meaning there, Skul. There was certainly no offense intented in my post. I was just making a point. And I certainly do not consider myself to be elite, brilliant or pompous. Most proggers I run into *scoff* at my love of bands like Day Glo Abortions, GWAR, Anal Cunt, etc. Please don't lump me in with those fucking A-Holes.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 20, 2003 19:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, most proggers are pretensious (sp) asswipes and think they are superior because they listen to only prog, but they are as closed minded as the people who ONLY listen to one genre of any type of music. That's why I enjoy this forum so much... there are so many different types of people here who listen to all kinds of music. You can't go to too many band boards and find this kind of diversity... and the band that links all us fucked up music lovers is VOIVOD!!!

I also loved the 'death metal logo' statement. Opeth is one of the few that is readable!!!

--------------------

yawn

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 21, 2003 10:07     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you're one hell of a pretentious elitist prog freak asswipe if you think a band logo should be readable !

btw, it was about unreadable black metal band logos...
unreadable death metal band logos are cool!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 21, 2003 10:49     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, "Opeth" and "death metal" don't belong in the same sentence. More like "poppy prog-flavour black metal".
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 21, 2003 22:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WELL EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE....

I still don't get the point of creating ANY logo for a band or product that you can't readily read and remember. That's just bad promotion. A logo should be quickly recognizable and leave an image that will make you remember it.

I do understand that it goes along with the style of music and image, but still makes no sense.

Sorry 'bout the Opeth thing!

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 22, 2003 04:41     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
you're one hell of a pretentious elitist prog freak asswipe...

That's ahhh-zzz-weee-pay

(in case you don't know, that's from one of the funniest SNL skits ever. It starred Nicholas Cage, and he and his wife were trying to name a baby. I urge you to NEVER MISS an SNL rerun that was hosted by Cage. Anyone remember 'Tiny Elvis?)

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan