my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » JASON NEWSTED Comments On OZZY Departure - Dec. 9, 2003

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JASON NEWSTED Comments On OZZY Departure - Dec. 9, 2003
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted December 09, 2003 08:22     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
source : http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net

Former METALLICA/current VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted has issued the following statement regarding his recent departure from OZZY OSBOURNE's band:

"I would like to thank the Osbournes for including VOIVOD in their tours this year. I am honored to have had the privilege to share the stage with Ozzy, [guitarist] Zakk [Wylde] and [drummer] Mike [Bordin] through a very successful summer. It was a blast playing old BLACK SABBATH songs with this band!

"My agreement with the Osbournes was to play bass for the gigs that Ozzy had committed to through December 2003. I wish Ozzy the best as he continues to fly the flag for metal!

"I am excited to be back making new music with VOIVOD. The Chophouse studio is fired up and ready for the creation of the next album.

"In the meantime, keep yourself tuned in to Voivod.com and ChophouseRecords.com for all the latest.

"Keep It Heavy!

"Jason"

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 09, 2003 08:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VERY COOL.
Sounds like he was more commited to 'creating' new music with Voivod than just playing bass with the 'madman'.

GOOD NEWS!!!

--------------------

yawn

izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted December 09, 2003 14:07     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would imagine we'd all like to think that Jason rejected Ozzy in favor of Voivod, but isn't it possible that Newsted was a temporary replacement and that once the agreement was up, a more permanent fixture was approached? That is, why couldn't it be that Ozzy's band (or Sharon, more like) did not invite Newsted to return?

If you ask me, it's been public knowledge that Newsted left Metallica because he couldn't continue with his own projects. I'd suspect that Ozzy's band, with his insane constant touring, needs someone to be ultimately dedicated to being a member of that group, instead of someone who would be doing it as a side gig.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 09, 2003 15:11     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by izgoblin:
If you ask me, it's been public knowledge that Newsted left Metallica because he couldn't continue with his own projects. I'd suspect that Ozzy's band, with his insane constant touring, needs someone to be ultimately dedicated to being a member of that group, instead of someone who would be doing it as a side gig.

Agreed, but anyway this leaves him more time to concentrate on Voivod, which is always a good thing.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted December 09, 2003 17:08     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it was another musician, I'd say that he took Ozzy's offer because of the money and the chance of getting famous worldwide. It's clearly not the case with Jason.

IMHO, he did it for the fun of playing some Sabbath songs with Oz himself (not to say bringing Voïvod to the spotlight).
Now that he's done with it, hope he devotes most of his time to write killer stuff with Snake, Piggy and Away.

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted December 09, 2003 21:58     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, maybe on the next Voivod album he can say :Jason "Jasonic" Newsted (Formally of Ozzy)

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan