my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Remembering Frank Zappa (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Remembering Frank Zappa
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 04, 2003 01:47     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At the stroke of midnight wherever you are, it will
mark 10 years since Frank Zappa 'left the building'.
(more specifically, at 7:01 PM Pacific Time - December
4th) Obviously this is no cause for any kind of
celebration, but it is a perfect opportunity to
remember him and the last day he was alive.

Personally, I think everyone on the planet should at
least listen to "Watermelon In Easter Hay" today at
some point, if to at least remind us that there was a
hell of a lot more to this guy than his outrageous
lyrics. The Yellow Shark and Civilization Phaze III
would also serve that purpose pretty well.

Let's all take a minute & give it up for FZ.

http://www.tangento.net/

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted December 04, 2003 02:39     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its hard to believe its been ten years already.

I cried when Frank died.

Thanks Tangento.

-ub

Theres loads of Zappa bit torrents flowing at http://www.sharingthegroove.org for bootleg minded zappaphiles.

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
\m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2003 06:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, 10 years already.

Frank was a musical genius, and although I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to most of his work, you'd have to be a complete idiot not to realize his huge impact and influence on music.

A TRUE LEGEND

NP: Watermelon In Easter Hay

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted December 04, 2003 09:36     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember quite clearly the day he died.

It's hard to believe that 5 years before he passed, he was touring with a band and recording "Broadway the Hard Way"... Even if he was not willing to tour anymore, I thought he would definitely change his mind if it was not for the disease.

Some classic Zappa records for today:

- One Size Fits All
- Zoot Allures
- You Are What You Is
- Joe's Garage
- Them or Us

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 04, 2003 15:25     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first introduction to FZ was when I was about 5 years old. My dad kept on playing his records each day. At that time I didn't have any idea what it was all about but somehow this strange man and his music fascinated me. When I got older the humor and complexity in his music appealed to me more and more and when I was 18 or 19 years old I had become a huge Zappa fanatic. Year: 1993. At the end of that year came that huge shock: Zappa was no more. I locked myself in my room and listened to his records for the rest of the day.

Now, exactly 10 years later I'm here writing this and listening to 'Uncle Meat'.

Let us Zappa fanatics keep his spirit alive by enjoying his music and over-all genius.

Thanks Tangento for reminding us all.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted December 04, 2003 21:04     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't forget Thing Fish...Warped doesn't even begin to describe this little gem.

10 years already. Seems like only yesterday. Even now his music is still relevant. Many so-called talented musicians should take a closer look at this man and his legacy. Most of them would find they aren't even fit to lick his boots.

Hail Frank Zappa, the World sorely misses you.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 04, 2003 21:16     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
Thanks Tangento for reminding us all.

Thanks to you for the killer pic! Very nice.
Also very nice to see that we have some true Zappa fans here.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2003 05:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What ever happened with the ZAPPA tribute cd that I heard about years ago?
I thought Dweezil was putting one together which was suppose to have Van Halen, Vai, Bozzio, and a slew of other worthy contributors.

Does anyone know if this ever was released?

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted December 05, 2003 12:36     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento and fellow Zappa freaks, tonite I'm going to watch one of the best FZ cover bands live: THE CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER BAND!

Don't know if you ever heard of these guys, but they come from Brazil and have been praised by Zappa himself before he passed. CSB recorded a live CD with the great IKE WILLIS around 2 years ago and it seems like it will finally see the light of day in 2004!

If you're curious about these fellas, check out their webpage at http://www.scrutinizer.com.br

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted December 06, 2003 04:41     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, waaay back in the early eighties I had a strange meeting with a very familiar looking dude. It was the late spring of umm, err 1984 and I was working part time at a booth for the annual Coast Arts Fair in Courtenay, on Duh Island when... Perhaps I should first give youse a quick background about the Coast Arts Fair. Back in the early seventies an amazing phenomena started happening in Courtenay. A big arts and crafts show would happen each spring and was called the Renaissance Fair. What would happen is that a large group of hippies, long hairs, freaks, and partiers of all types would invade the Comox Valley in their converted school buses, old milk vans, 50's and 60's era old beat up pickup trucks with homemade campers (which always seemed to feature a wood stove with chimney), and take up residence at Lewis Park where they would setup a bunch of tents, string up a bunch of old black or orange tarps, and set up underneath a bunch of arts and crafts booths, stages, and the like, and then for a week or so, start indulging in this 24 hour a day orgy of booze, drugs, music, sex, and arts and crafts. To tell an honest truth I could never give an appropriate explanation of this event except to say that it was quite organic! Back in the seventies I was but a young lad and to take a tour of this spectacle just blew my mind! I have had some interesting Renaissance Fair experiences myself. I especially loved eating the space cookies which was available at one booth! Basically it was a simple chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe which also contained these two essential ingrediants: hash and opium! Mmm!!! Eventually the City of Courtenay became sufficiently freaked out about these orgies that a clamp down started to happen in the early eighties. By 1984, the Renaissance Fair was revamped and watered down as the Coast Arts Fair but this did not mean that some of the shenanigans did not still happen. Everything was a little more clandestine but there was still a bunch of interesting arts and crafts booths set up as well as a couple of stages for performances. Getting back to the original story, I was working at this one booth and was totally spaced out - I had dropped some acid the night before at a party and was still trying to come down - when I happened to glance off and into the distance and witnessed this strange looking fellow kind of wondering around by himself and checking out everything. This fellow stopped all of a sudden, turned, and looked at me. For a few brief moments we kind of eyed each other up and then he walked away and into the crowd. By 1984, the Coast Arts Fair was pretty well dead - it had become kind of mainstream, and this basically turned off a bunch of people. This strange fellow seemed to have that attitude given the way he was looking around at everything... I can't prove it or anything or perhaps it was some sort of Blue Mandela hallucination but I like to believe that this dude was him, himself - Frank Zappa!!! I'm sure that this was the type of event that he would have liked to checkout - especially the original Renaissance Fairs - but by 1984 one would have to start looking harder to find these types of experiences... I have always liked listening to alot of music by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. My crazy friend from Hornby Island named Albert Savoy used to live on his parent's fish boat in the Courtenay Slough around '83 and '84, and a bunch of our friends and I would always drop by Albert's boat to basically drink beer, smoke copious amounts of pot (Mostly homegrown bud, Columbian, black hash, red Leb, some Cambodian, and on special occasions Denman Island Purple Bud Indica!) - we used to literally hotbox the boat - and listen to music. Albert used to constantly play Joe's Garage! Hilarious! I still have Joe's Garage as well as that Strictly Commercial C.D.. I used to also listen to Weasels Ripped My Flesh and The Man from Utopia. Probably my all time favorite song is "Peaches en Regalia" though I really like "I'm the Slime" and "Dirty Love"... Dem were da daze!!!

--------------------

When the chime ends, pickup your gun. Try and shoot me Coronel... Just try...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 06, 2003 07:09     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
frank is dead...just like my rabbitt I had to bury a couple of weeks ago. I don't need a fucking hutch no more. I don't think rabbitts deserve the "caged" life any longer anyway. They deserve the chance to die from tires as well, and/or starvation.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted December 07, 2003 03:32     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So at one time Rabbits deserved the "caged" life? They also deserve to die from tires and/or starvation? Does anything (besides A. Hitler and Pol Pot and like minded Co.) deserve that? Rabbits don't have the intelligence to commit crimes which would cause them to deserve a horrible ending... Just because people need to eat in order to live does not mean that the beings which they kill deserve to die. They just got killed in order to keep something else alive. To deserve it? I seriously doubt it! Oh, oh... I discovered a Trojan Horse on my system the other day. Now a website from who knows where is trying to activate it! Bastards!!!

--------------------

When the chime ends, pickup your gun. Try and shoot me Coronel... Just try...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 07, 2003 04:52     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, I know next to NILL about Frank Zappa and his music. Upon reading all the praise and trusting the like-minded sensibilities (or lack there-of) of my fellow VoivodFans printed here-in, I WILL without a blairing doubt check this out.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 07, 2003 05:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear delusion:
Hmmmm, I know next to NILL about Frank Zappa and his music. Upon reading all the praise and trusting the like-minded sensibilities (or lack there-of) of my fellow VoivodFans printed here-in, I WILL without a blairing doubt check this out.

Zappa is NOT for the faint hearted. It takes a very open mind to listen to most of his music, and he's all over the place as far as his music goes. jazz, classical, bebop, rock, bizarre, strange, ... you name it, he's done it. But even with all the diversity in his songs, you still know it's Zappa. You can't judge Zappa from listening to one cd... he's a aquired taste.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 07, 2003 06:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Thanks, Schroeder. The diversity is what interests me. Is he diverse on single albums as well, or do you mean each album is different? I'm sure you mean the latter...I'm more interested in the strange / bizarre aspect to start out, any suggestions in that vein?

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 07, 2003 07:35     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear delusion:
...Thanks, Schroeder. The diversity is what interests me. Is he diverse on single albums as well, or do you mean each album is different? I'm sure you mean the latter...I'm more interested in the strange / bizarre aspect to start out, any suggestions in that vein?

If I may step in for just a moment: I have compiled a Zappa discography with the uninitiated, aspiring Zappa-freak like you (and me) in mind. Easy to navigate with a wide variety of opinions and reviews for each and every album:

http://www.tangento.net/prezappa.html

Dive in man, and if you're feeling really ballsy, take Civilization Phaze III for a few spins around the block. This was Zappa's 'magnum opus' of a Synclavier composition, worked on feverishly right up until his death. In addition, there is certainly plenty of music to discover; 63 albums and counting, due to the wealth of unreleased material contained in the vast Zappa Family Basement Vault. I hope you enjoy the journey.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 08, 2003 10:04     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ten years! Hail Zappa!

I discovered Zappa by reading stuff about him (in guitar magazines most of the time). Then one day, without even knowing how it sounded like, I bought a Rykodisc split-CD of 'Apostrophe and Overnite Senation (because it was the cheapest!). From the first notes of "Don't eat the Yellow Snow", I knew I'd like it.

Does humour belongs in music? Yes.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 12, 2003 23:12     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
If I may step in for just a moment: I have compiled a Zappa discography with the uninitiated, aspiring Zappa-freak like you (and me) in mind. Easy to navigate with a wide variety of opinions and reviews for each and every album:

http://www.tangento.net/prezappa.html

Dive in man, and if you're feeling really ballsy, take Civilization Phaze III for a few spins around the block. This was Zappa's 'magnum opus' of a Synclavier composition, worked on feverishly right up until his death. In addition, there is certainly plenty of music to discover; 63 albums and counting, due to the wealth of unreleased material contained in the vast Zappa Family Basement Vault. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Hey Tangento, thanks for making it easy for me! I will check out that link soon enough here. I'm sure I'll make an easy convert to Zappism, I'm a sucker for the bizarre and quirky art forms.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 03, 2004 07:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally got some Zappa: Apostrophe*, Overnite Sensation and Sheik Yerbouti....WOW

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 03, 2004 20:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocular intrusion:
I finally got some Zappa: Apostrophe*, Overnite Sensation and Sheik Yerbouti....WOW

I have to be in the right mood to listen to the genius of Zappa, but those discs you got are always at the top of my Zappa listening list. Adrian Belew handled guitar duties for the Sheik YERBOUTI album, so that's another plus. I'll suggest BABT SNAKES as your next Zappa disc to obtain. TITTIES & BEER is a classick Zappa song, and the rest of the disc is just as demented. long live Frank... besides he's originally from Maryland!!!

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 04, 2004 12:25     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Baby Snakes.....Alright it's in my brain now, thanks Schroed!

--------------------

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted November 04, 2004 18:04     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Ocular, it's also in my brain now.
Kurze
VoivodFan
Member # 318

posted November 05, 2004 22:52     Profile for Kurze   Email Kurze     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocular intrusion:

Ugghh, on top of being his most mainstream albums, they are the 3 I personnally dislike the most, although they feature the most skilled band of musicians FZ ever assembled.

Pick up any original Mothers records if you have the chance.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted November 13, 2004 15:34     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Machine:
Ugghh, on top of being his most mainstream albums, they are the 3 I personnally dislike the most, although they feature the most skilled band of musicians FZ ever assembled.

Pick up any original Mothers records if you have the chance.

Weird. I like those albums very much. And I'd also recommend "You Are What You Is", "Them Or Us" and "Broadway the Hardway". Yes, I love the 80's band.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 13, 2004 22:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if you can use "mainstream" and "Zappa" in the same sentence, but I understand where you're coming from.

THEM OR US iscool... I always liked Truck Driver Divorce, Frogs With Dirty Little Lips, & Be In My Video.

I put "I Have Been In You" (from Sheik Yerbouti) on a compilation tape I made for my wedding party and also I'd play the tape when my wife and I would drive around... she didn't think the song was in good taste... she didn't really understand Zappa, or me Is there a better love song, than that one?

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan