my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » LEVIN BACK IN KC!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LEVIN BACK IN KC!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 01, 2003 14:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just read this on my Porcupine Tree digest:

Robert Fripp writes in his diary at DGM
(http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/diary/) that Tony Levin
has agreed to become the active bassist of King Crimson again.
Rehearsals are due to begin in April 2004, with more plans
following up that summer. He also suggested Trey should take
over the position of inactive fifth man and may be called to
duty again when the time is right, either in the recent Double
Duo formation, or as a quintet.

FUCKIN' 'A' the beast is still alive!!!

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 01, 2003 14:25     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's great news! I know that many in the 'Prog Circles' were expecting a long hiatus or even nothing at all. Very cool, indeed.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 01, 2003 14:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tang, I almost thought the end was in sight, but I gotta commend the Frippster for keeping it alive. He must still have some unfullfilled ideas that need to be released.

LEVIN must be on of the busiest people in the biz. The God of all bassists, that everyone looks up to.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 01, 2003 15:08     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When Gunn left I feared the end of the mighty Crim, luckily I was wrong.

The world needs more organized anarchy!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 02, 2003 12:34     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did any one else find it odd that Fripp's diary post of Levin's re-entry into Crimson was dated Nov. 20th http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/diary/
and Trey's "letter of resignation" was dated Nov. 21rst http://www.treygunn.com/word/letter.html ?

I'm not trying to create drama that isn't there, but I found that interesting. In any case, it will be great to see Levin back in Crimson. I fully concur with Schroed. He's the best of the best.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 02, 2003 17:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, I didn't notice that!!! It's also odd that I didn't see anything on the DGM site about Gunn leaving KC, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I guess Fripps post sums up everythng though.

Whatever the case may be I'M HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAVE TO BE HAPPY WITH!!!

BTW: I just received notice that the cd of the Eyes Eide Open dvd with be available soon. I highly recommend these to everyone. The DVD is phenomenal, to say the least, and I'll be thrilled to have an official cd of the concerts, also!!!

The beast will never die!!!

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 03, 2003 05:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the full Fripp Diary entry about the 'reactivation of Levin(lots of great possibilities!!!):

Thursday 20th. November, 2003

Hotel Quite Acceptable, Mexico City.

Pat & Trey have just left the lobby with Bill Munyon & David Norman (our Production Manager) for the airport & flying home. Next time were our parting words.

Last night's performance was the final show in this completion tour, the completion of this particular stage of King Crimson activity (1999-2003) & this particular incarnation, Line-Up Seven.

A completion has potential: nothing is lost, something is gained, something becomes available. Everything is as it was; it is also different.

So, what is the next stage in Crimson's process? January 13th. 2004 is King Crimson's 35th. birthday, five life cycles since the original five young men met in the basement of a café on Fulham Palace Road. For the 35th. Anniversary Year I have suggested to the other members that:

1. We re-activate The Fifth Man, Tony Levin. Tony has agreed to return to active service in King Crimson. Currently, the plan is for rehearsals to be held at Studio Belewbeloid in the second half of April; then again in June, with a view to King Crimson Line-Up Eight being on full-call for July 2004.

2. Trey moves to The Fifth Man role while TLev becomes re-activated.

3. Once Tony is re-Crimsonised, The Fifth Man is called back to Crimson service, and Trey becomes Crimson-active/available once more.

4. This gives three viable King Crimson performing incarnations:

Quartet: AB, RF, PM, TL >Line-Up Eight
Double Duo: AB, RF, PM, TG >Line-Up Seven
Quintet: AB, RF,PM,TG, TL >Line-Up Nine.

5. All five Crimson members to be in current ongoing-active mode for Crimson ProjeKcting: freewheeling, spontaneous, mobile improv & performance. Initially, this is likely to take place at Studio Belewbeloid. The aims are to generate new material:

for Crimson repertoire;
for music to be made available through new technologies such as the about-to-be-becoming DGM subscription website (incorporating the intent of BootlegTV).

During the Eurotour, I asked Trey to consider the KC Quintet option but, at that time, it didn't appeal to him. I'm hoping that, once TLev is re-activated, it will. Trey has also told me, on this tour, that he has achieved his youthful ambitions as a musician. I have tried to get away from the music industry on several occasions, and failed each time. I hope that Trey is just as successful.

--------------------

yawn

Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted December 04, 2003 02:45     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I met tony levin 8 years or so ago... he was absolutely the nicest famous guy i've ever met... he was laughing at me because i was speechless upon shaking his hand.

in other semi related matters, a bass player friend of mine met dave grohl recently and asked him "dave, i'm a bass player looking for a gig, you know anybody who's looking for a good bass player?"

without hesitation he said...

"Metallica."

funny.

wouldve been more funny if he was a drummer looking for a gig and got the same answer.

i'm drunk.

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
\m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan