my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » METALLICA Symphony Conductor Passes Away

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: METALLICA Symphony Conductor Passes Away
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 19, 2003 08:43     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
METALLICA Symphony Conductor Passes Away - Nov. 18, 2003

Oscar-nominated composer, conductor and arranger Michael Kamen, who conducted the San Francisco Orchestra in 1999 as it backed METALLICA on their live "S&M" project, died this morning (Nov. 18) after suffering from multiple sclerosis for several years, according to Billboard.com. He was 55. Further details were not immediately available.

Recorded across two concerts that reworked the band's canon for symphonic arrangement, "S&M" peaked at No. 2 and has sold 2.6 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

I really liked Michael Kamen's work.
He will be missed.

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 19, 2003 09:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No death is to be celebrated, may he rest in peace, but he ruined several Metallica songs on that S&M crap. For that, he cannot be forgiven.

But then, what do I know? He is the one who made a lot of money, not me, so I wonder who's right.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 19, 2003 10:37     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do not like it either. But i guess he is the one (together with Metallica ofcourse) who is right.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 19, 2003 10:47     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought he did an excellent job.
Not only with Metallica, but other Movie Scores, etc.
I always knew the music would be good when i saw his name.

For those so critical of him, lets see YOU write a score for a Symphony.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted November 19, 2003 11:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn. Poor guy.

Just last year he arranged and conducted all the pieces for the Queen's Golden Jubilee "Rock" concert. He also worked with Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan, never mind craptallica. It's not as if he could've made those Load songs any better.

RIP.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 19, 2003 12:23     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
he was also composer for Last Action Hero... actually, look at his filmography, it's quite impressive!
Brazil, Polyester, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 19, 2003 15:28     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KingKula:
I thought he did an excellent job.
Not only with Metallica, but other Movie Scores, etc.
I always knew the music would be good when i saw his name.

For those so critical of him, lets see YOU write a score for a Symphony.

Is he your relative or something? I didn't say shit about him, I only said I didn't like what he did with Metallica, that's all, a harmless comment, there's no need to have this kind of reaction.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't write a score for a symphony, because I haven't got a clue of how to do it. Happy?

On the other hand, I assume you're considering Kamen to be a great symphony-score writer... I can only recommend you to some Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Villa-Lobos, Carlos Gomes. Pick one randomly. THESE are examples of great "symphony" composers, not Michael fucking Kamen. Gimme a break.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 19, 2003 17:32     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, Mr. Attitude Slaytanic. Whatever.

I usually refrain from making a post in a Thread about an Artist that i dont like.
If i dont like them, why should i make a comment?
You, on the other hand, have gone out of your way to do just that.

Thus, my comment which still stands.

Michael Kamen was a damn good Composer for Films and other things.
You dont think so? So fucking what!
At least he had a lot more intelligence in his fingers than you do in your whole body, Slaytanic.

Show the guy some respect!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted November 19, 2003 18:22     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damit kula... get back in the T.M. section and answer our question marks

sadly that is the most sucessfull topic i started in how many years? it has 20 sumthin replys.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 19, 2003 20:10     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kula, Slayman was not knocking Kamen. Why're you getting so uptight about this? Fucking A, stop typing for a second and smoke a bowl. His opinion on the S&M deal, with which I wholeheartedly agree, was just an opinion.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 20, 2003 06:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought Kamen did a cool job with the S&M project. It brought new life to some songs and added a new twist. I actually liked some of their songs better with what Kamen did to them.

Kamen has been involved with rock legends for many many years and has helped bands find new ways of expressing their music.

He will be missed.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 20, 2003 07:36     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KingKula:
Ok, Mr. Attitude Slaytanic. Whatever.

I usually refrain from making a post in a Thread about an Artist that i dont like.
If i dont like them, why should i make a comment?
You, on the other hand, have gone out of your way to do just that.

Thus, my comment which still stands.

Michael Kamen was a damn good Composer for Films and other things.
You dont think so? So fucking what!
At least he had a lot more intelligence in his fingers than you do in your whole body, Slaytanic.

Show the guy some respect!

No. You show some respect for me.

Can you actually read, or do you only read what is convenient for your purposes? My first comment on the subject was, "no death is to be celebrated, may he rest in peace". It was not disrespectful at all, people have the right to have their own opinion, so do I, apparently.

Now I see why people bash you in the TM part of the Forum. I think I have to apologize to them. You see, I even stood by you, not there, but here in Cosmic Drama, in several comments, because I, in my innocence, thought the bashing at you was gratuitous. God I was wrong. This asinine last post of yours proves my point.

Mr. Kula, or Killed By Sharks, as you wish now, I have lost all respect for you, sir. You, from a very nice person, have become an asshole. That's sad.

--------------------

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 20, 2003 09:02     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hold on for a sec guys, I'll go and get some popcorn and beer before you start throwing heavy objects at each other!

..OK, to the subject. I'm with you schroeder, I think Kamen did a good job with Metallica - too bad the post-80's songs weren't 'up to standard' so to speak. Those movie soundtracks are also very good IMO. R.I.P. mr. Kamen.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted November 20, 2003 19:43     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
metallica producer????? no more like PINK FLOYD, ALICE COOPER, and many great others,
he sould nt be remebered for that s&m crap.he did nt screw that up anyway it would have been good if metallica was nt there.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 20, 2003 19:51     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't like Kamens arangements for S&M. I don't think many of them fit the song - it sounds like 2 separate pieces of music played at the same time. A few songs have some cool parts, but overall I thought it was pretty bad. They should have done their own charts and followed the melodies a bit closer.

Kamen did TONS of shit for rock bands besides S&M. Queensryche, Bryan Adams, Pink Floyd, etc. I think some of his best stuff was the movie soundtracks he did like Event Horizon, Brazil, The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen and Mr Hollands Opus (excellent).

I didn't even know he was sick.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 20, 2003 19:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I'm in the minority here saying I really enjoyed the S&M DVD, and CD. It was certainly better than what Metallica released since And Justice For All. Oh well, it's not the first time I felt differently than the masses and I'm sure it won't me the last. I'm easily entertained and I was blown away by the metal symphony thing... not to mention the increible sound when you listen to the dvd in 5.1. It feel like you are in the audience... but the dvd was cheaper than the tickets, and I can pause the disc to take a piss.

KAMEN ROCKS ETERNALLY!!!

--------------------

yawn

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted November 20, 2003 20:07     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked S&M a lot. For one thing it's a performance, and I always preferred Metallica's stuff live to the studio albums. Plus I thought the addition of the symphony added a lot of depth to some songs that I hadn't liked much originally. Like "Of Wolf and Man" - though in hindsight I'm not sure if it was the symphony or the "live" effect that made the song good. I didn't like the album version at all.

Meg

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 22, 2003 07:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like playing with my "dingle-berries"...and my BERRIES!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan