my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » THIS IS WHAT I READ ON bLABBERMOUTH

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THIS IS WHAT I READ ON bLABBERMOUTH
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 12, 2003 03:49     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thrash Metal Documentary To Film In The San Francisco Bay Area - Nov. 11, 2003

"Get Thrashed", the upcoming documentary profiling the thrash metal scene of the early Eighties and its impact on the music scene, will be taping a performance by Bay Area thrashers CONCRETE COFFIN at The Stork Club in Oakland, California on Tuesday, November 18. Everyone is invited to come down to the show and be a part of the taping.

As previously reported, METALLICA, SLAYER, ANTHRAX, TESTAMENT, OVERKILL, VOIVOD, KREATOR, EXODUS, DISTURBED, SLIPKNOT, KITTIE, DEATH ANGEL and MESHUGGAH are among the other bands covered in the documentary, which is tentatively due before the end of the year. The brainchild of director Rick Ernst, a longtime freelance producer for MTV, the film will include interviews, live performances and archival footage.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 12, 2003 05:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
DISTURBED, SLIPKNOT, KITTIE

huh?

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 12, 2003 06:42     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MESHUGGAH

HUH? i thought this was not a '80-s band.

--------------------

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 12, 2003 07:35     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well...

They said the 80's and its IMPACT on the Metal Scene (meaning TODAY's Metal scene?)
That would explain the Slipknot/Disturbed/Kittie bit.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted November 12, 2003 13:57     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whats with all these metal come-latelys?

Wheres the Crumbsuckers and Whiplash ???

I want my TICKET TO MAYHEM !!!!

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 12, 2003 17:54     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally Id love to see an 80s thrash metal documentary but one that completely avoids Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax. Always have & always will find those bands incredibly boring. I hope they include the reason why thrash metal started in the first place, Venom.
Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted November 12, 2003 20:40     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! Hell, Grunge already got their 'movie'. Too bad we can't get the docu-master himself, Ken Burns (Jazz, Baseball, The West) to do a nice 18hr show on Thrash.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 13, 2003 07:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran X:
Personally Id love to see an 80s thrash metal documentary but one that completely avoids Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax. Always have & always will find those bands incredibly boring. I hope they include the reason why thrash metal started in the first place, Venom.

As much as I respect your opinion, there wouldn't be 80s thrash metal without Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax.

Plus, Motörhead was the reason why Venom started in the first place, so it would be fair to consider THEM (not Venom) to be the pioneers of thrash.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted November 13, 2003 09:02     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Motorhead were responsible for a lot of stuff but if you take that into consideration you have to say that a lot of stuff was responsible for Motorhead playing the way they do. The thing with Venom is that no band before them really took it to that extreme, subject matter and things of that nature. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax: I dont see why you think there would be no 80s thrash metal without these bands. If you look on the back of the "Kill Em All" LP Kirk is wearing a Black Metal pin so it was around before Metallica got their greedy little money hungry hands into the pot. The reason why I dont want to hear of these bands in an 80s Thrash documentary is not only because I find them incredibly dull but Im sick of hearing about these bands and a documentary consisting of bands like Possessed, Razor, Venom, Hellhammer/Frost and of course Voivod would be unique in the fact that there really isnt all that much material floating out and about about these bands. At least not in a detailed documentary. Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax are simply over rated and over exposed. Enough with these bands already.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 13, 2003 09:13     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HE,

The documentary is about 80's thrash. And in that times, in my opinion, also Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth were very cool bands. That they are now greedy as you put it has nothing to do with the 80's.
I know that Venom, Motorhead etc. are "more responsible" for thrash but then again people who are mainstream (there are millions of them) do not know these bands and therefore will find the documentary not interesting enough to watch.

I also would like to see a documentary about CF Raven etc. more...........but we will have to do with it.

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 13, 2003 09:52     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, okay. Maybe I exaggerated when I put Megadeth and Anthrax on that list. But, Metallica? You just need listen to the early demos of such acts as Exodus and Overkill, that were posted here BTW, or the early Slayer songs, such as Ice Titan or Assassin, all of them dated to circa late '82. Pure heavy metal, with huge Priest influences (especially Slayer). Cut to their latter '83 songs, coincidentially after the No Life 'Till Leather demo and Kill 'Em All, and see the influence Metallica had on an entire scene. Let's just be realistic, you can't deny their importance just because you don't like them as a band. It would be wonderful to see the bands you mentioned, Imran, but even them would not diminish Metallica's leading role on the scene.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 13, 2003 14:57     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hardcore also had a big influence on the thrash metal-scene. Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, that sort of stuff...
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 14, 2003 01:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guidon:
Hardcore also had a big influence on the thrash metal-scene. Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, that sort of stuff...

Not to mention D.R.I. , Fear, Dead Kennedys, early Black Flag...

To me, the basic elements of thrash music are rooted in hardcore, heavy metal, and jazz. Hardcore brings the speed, heavy metal the heaviness, and jazz the time changes and melding of different players at certain times.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan