my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » INSTRUMENTAL ALBUMS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: INSTRUMENTAL ALBUMS
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 11, 2003 10:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was watching my SATRIANI LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO dvd yesterday while ripping down wallpaper (what a pain in the ass that is) and was just wondering what other people thought of cds that were TOTALLY instrumental.

Satch is one of the few guys I really enjoy listening to that doesn't have a singer. The man plays his ass off and grooves, and doesn't bore me.

I usually don't like too many albums that don't have singing (probably because I can't play shit on my guitar, so I need something to relate to)but besides Satch, I do like Jim Matheos's 2 mellow cds that are all instrumental, and Eddie Jobson's "Theme Of Secrets". I have some Vinnie Moors cds and Vai but don't spin them very often.

SO WHAT ARE YOUR FAV INSTRUMENTAL ALBUMS
or how do feel about them in the 1st place?

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 11, 2003 10:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOINCLOTH! Well... it's not an album, it's a demo really, but it's all instrumental and it rules. Don't mind a bit of Godspeed YBE either, but some of thier recent stuff is abit dull. I guess it's not important to me to have vox. As long as it gets my head nodding, I'll like it.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 11, 2003 10:36     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozric Tentacles has a DVD out that is well worth getting.

I would have to say its my Fav.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 11, 2003 10:51     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mayhem - From the Darkest Past (which i posted a few weeks ago).

Best instrumental stuff ever.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 11, 2003 11:44     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have to think really hard about this one. Think Cacophony with Marty Friedman is about the only instrumental metal album I listened to.

Listen to tons of instrumental electronic stuff though.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 11, 2003 12:30     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second Skul on this.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 11, 2003 12:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great topic Schroedman!

Instrumental music is something I really love. Most Satch/Vai stuff bores the shit out of me.....but there are some interesting groups out there who bridge the gap between rock, jazz, and metal to create something more engaging.

A few off the top of my head:

Happy Family- ChamberJazzRock- fucking intense, intellectual music, no not math bullshit, interesting stuff, I see them as Great Grandsons of Father Zappa

Xlegged Sally- Awesome! Grandsons of Zappa(Thank you Neutrino for the introduction to this amazing group)

5UU's- Sons of Zappa, still don't know much about them and have a lot to learn. Don't think all their stuff is instrumental. Roan is a great composition. (Thank you Tangento)

Sonny Sharrock- Ask the Ages(the bebop-metal guitar god album), if you don't have this album you are seriously fucking missing out on what great music is all about

Zappa-Piquantique, live in Stockholm '73, perhaps the my favorite album of all, Frank goes where few have tread before on this one. All instrumental, he also makes some very funny comments on jazz and rock concerts.

Dysrhytmia- The one instrumental rock group that I can listen to without getting bored. Must be because there are songs there and not just wanking.

And for something way different:

Darius Milhaud- French composer who wrote some awesome chamber and orchestral pieces in the early to mid-twentieth century. I highly recommend Scaramouche.

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted November 11, 2003 13:41     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DRAGON GREEN - Emissions Practice Sessions
Philly band that use a complete wall of Matamp Green stacks behind them and sound like a cross between slower tempo High on Fire and Warhorse musically. Good stuff if you like to be enveloped in guitar tone.

DON CABELLERO - What Burns Never Returns

5IVE - The Telestic Disfracture
Boston based drum and bass duo that sound like a full band.

GOBLIN - Roller, La Via Della Droga or anything they've done.

KARMA TO BURN - Wild Wonderful Purgatory and Almost Heathen

GILGAMESH - Arriving Twice

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 11, 2003 13:50     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting thread!

I like some instrumental when it's classical or jazz. And I hate electronic and techno stuff (actually, it bores me - repetitive, no feeling, feels like the guy programmed his computer, pushes "play" and goes get some coffee).

For the classical stuff, I'm always blown away by Bach. I mean, it's like this perfect wall of sound, mathematical yet divine. Can't explain.

For the jazz, I like the classic stuff, the be-bop era, Coltrane ("Giant Step", "A Love Supreme"), Sonny Rollins ("Saxophone Collossus"), Miles Davis ("Bitches Brew" is like rave music before it was even invented!) and Wes Montgomery ("The Incredible Jazz Guitar of WM" is one of my fave guitar albums).

Greg, is Goblin the italian prog-rock band who did the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack?

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 11, 2003 14:39     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must add DAVE BRUBECK's Time Out to the list. "Take Five" alone is a true masterpiece.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 11, 2003 14:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KingKula:
Ozric Tentacles has a DVD out that is well worth getting.

I would have to say its my Fav.

I just remebered the Ozrics... doh!!!I've got 12 of their releases and a few boots. They tend to sound the same on most of their albums... it's still very good, but they're not doing anything new and exciting.

The California Guitar Trio and the Robert Fripp String Quintet, and League of Crafty Guitarists are all very unique mind bending albums. Also John Paul Jones' 'Zooma' cd is very cool. Peter Banks and Buckethead (not together) have some killer non-vocals releases...it's all coming back to be know.

4100+ cds, and I've forgoten about some of these jems until I really start thinking about different genres of music.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 11, 2003 15:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeeeez, shroeder, you're just reminding me about Fripp! King Crimson albums are always half instrumental (and great instrumentals, just think of "Red"), but there was an album they released a few years ago, ProjecKt II. It was cool spacey instru jamming with Belew on V-drum, Fripp on wathever he's doing, and the other guy on stick. The album is called "Space Groove", and I have it hidden somewhere. Gotta get that out again and spin it...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 11, 2003 19:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Space Groove does indeed GROOOOVE.
They were incredible live!!! Sometimes I had no idea who was creating the sounds.

All the ProjeKCts that Crimson broke down into were very interesting. Nice little research and development groups, with smokin' improvs.

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted November 11, 2003 21:19     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the new ALL instrumental will be kickass, the songs i heard them play live this summer were intense. i guess it helps that Bill played drums on the best punk instrumental album ever already ("Process of Weeding Out")....

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 11, 2003 21:25     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This being about "instrumentals", does the "voice" count as an instrument too...like on a "spoken-word" album?

Therefore, my vote goes for:

Black Flag

"Family Man"

"Family man with your life all planned...sand-castles built..smiling through your guilt..."

A fucking classic!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 11, 2003 21:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oxxes - Oxxxes

Fan-fucking-tastic instrumental indie-rock sorta band.

Don Caballero kick ass too.

I also dig Mortiis although there's usually a tiny bit of spoken word here and there. I like Fodt Til Å Herske and Crypt Of The Wizard best. The Stargate is cool too.

Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted November 11, 2003 22:33     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My fave instrumental album of all time...

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted November 12, 2003 02:13     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best instrumental LP I have is "war games" of "Coloseum" Whoooooow that dumb ego Gary Moore can play like a devil. When you hear thisone you will ask yourselve why the hell he never ever played like that again

Anoter favorite is "Spectrum" of "Billy Cobham".

Grtzzz, DBC

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted November 12, 2003 10:29     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Greg, is Goblin the italian prog-rock band who did the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack?"

Yes indeed.

--------------------

"If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum."

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 12, 2003 11:01     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kewl!!! Here's a Goblin link!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan